DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand at Maradon

Kahsm

Rand's Channeling Powers post VOG  

150 members have voted

1. 1. What is your impression of Rand's OP abilities after Maradon? (Please explain your choice, as I have summarized a bazillion theories into 3 options)

• He has some sort of 'god' powers, i.e. infinite stamina, continual access, something unprecedented [In this turning (all ages) or ever]
    • He is stronger [possibly more skilled] than any man has ever been, including the chosen [and maybe LTT], but no special powers
    • He is as strong [possibly as skilled] as a man can be. Moridin/Ishy could have pulled off a similar feat

In my opinion, the only thing that can't be explained by Rand's channelling abilities, or his Taveren effect, is the apparent protection against the taint on his mind. Although the apple episode might qualify as well.

I suppose we don't know why he's "one with the land", in a technical/universe mechanics sense. Also odd none of the forsaken or flashbacks seem to mention LTTs one-with-the-land-ness.

No but LTT was called Lord of the Morning. Really odd thing to say. I still have n clue about that title.

he was probably a dickhead and wakes everybody up early everyday or something. :/

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting bit from BS on the battle of the "temple"(Maradon). Turns out Rand has massively powered up starting back in KoD and he killed nearly as many trollocs at the Manor as he did in Maradon. So much for the grossly overinflated numbers that some have thrown out on this fight.

Okay! Alright! So Wetlander and people.

LOIALSON

Are the impressive displays of power that Rand makes in Towers of Midnight (i.e., stopping the Trolloc army and having no concern over being able to leave the White Tower) a result of his integrated knowledge or his ta'veren nature?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Umm...Both, though, one thing you have to keep in mind, is...Rand, as a result of power level...Robert Jordan was specifically not using him very often because his power had grown so powerful even by the end of Knife of Dreams. I mean, you look at Knife of Dreams—if you go reread the fight in Knife of Dreams he is laying waste to nearly as many Trollocs as he has when he does the battle at the temple (which is not actually called that in the books)—that's the one with the Trollocs and things [referencing Rand's big single-handed fight in Towers of Midnight]. And so...yes, some of these things have changed, but he's really powerful now.

Now, the thing about in the White Tower is something different. [brandon smiles]

By the way, I'm waiting to hear back from Loialson on whether or not that parenthetical about the temple was his comment or Brandon's. I suppose that Darkfriends might have temples, or what Brandon might think of as a temple.

Interesting bit from BS on the battle of the "temple"(Maradon). Turns out Rand has massively powered up starting back in KoD and he killed nearly as many trollocs at the Manor as he did in Maradon. So much for the grossly overinflated numbers that some have thrown out on this fight.

LOIALSON

Are the impressive displays of power that Rand makes in Towers of Midnight (i.e., stopping the Trolloc army and having no concern over being able to leave the White Tower) a result of his integrated knowledge or his ta'veren nature?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Umm...Both, though, one thing you have to keep in mind, is...Rand, as a result of power level...Robert Jordan was specifically not using him very often because his power had grown so powerful even by the end of Knife of Dreams. I mean, you look at Knife of Dreams—if you go reread the fight in Knife of Dreams he is laying waste to nearly as many Trollocs as he has when he does the battle at the temple (which is not actually called that in the books)—that's the one with the Trollocs and things [referencing Rand's big single-handed fight in Towers of Midnight]. And so...yes, some of these things have changed, but he's really powerful now.

Now, the thing about in the White Tower is something different. [brandon smiles]

I don't agree, as you forget that Rand had help at Algarin's manor in the form of Logain and the Aes Sedai/Nyneave, Bashere's men, etc. He walked out facing the might of the entire reinforced host at Maradon of about 100,000 then proceeded to put some serious foot to some serious(censored)! We definitely saw Rand 2.0.

LOIALSON

BRANDON SANDERSON

I don't agree, as you forget that Rand had help at Algarin's manor in the form of Logain and the Aes Sedai/Nyneave, Bashere's men, etc. He walked out facing the might of the entire reinforced host at Maradon of about 100,000 then proceeded to put some serious foot to some serious(censored)! We definitely saw Rand 2.0.

You don't agree with Brandon? He says flat out "he is laying waste" and that he has been powered up since KoD, that is why RJ isn't using him that often. Not to mention the quote in ToM says "Al'Thor lowered his hand. The field before him was piled with carcasses atop carcasses. Tens of thousands of dead Trollocs smoldering."

Archived