DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Movies

Heckishfire

Im sure this has been discussed before but, is there a chance that the wheel of time series will be made in a mini-series on hbo or usa or soemthing? Or even movies at the box office? After seeing The Lord of the Rings, I think that the technology is there to give the books justice on the big screen. What do you guys think?

i sligthly disagree...the LotR movie was good enough...but from far giving the book justice..

narnia...movie slightly bether in my eyes...though yet i must say some part of me prefer the series

and i do hope if WoT get put on screen its throug series ...long ones...the fact is with so interecate stories and a lot of main persons...there just aint time enough in a reasonable cinema movie to do the books justice..cause to much of those litle things which is really making the books good gets croped out to cut down on time...there is just not enough time to get into the head of the characters and get familiar with them

i seen LotR once and just like with titanic which i also saw once ..i enjoyed both but dont intend to see either again..once is enough

well i once read something about the prelogue with dragonmount where to be put to short movie...actualy i printed out the film poster they showed for it back when i joined DM *s*

so anyone have any updates on this...is it done? still in planing? on ice?

my 'movie poster' says

DRAGONMOUNT

his greates triumph

became his greatest failure

i think this would be the prolouge of the first book if i dont remember wrongly that it was talk about

so no rand and mat and perrin

that prolouge is the intro of lews therin (and had me horible confused untill i got a bit into the book and started to piezing togheter things between the prolouge and storyline of the book)

edit after another look on poster

staring LEWS THERIN , ELAN MORIN directed by JASON DENZEL

Guest Egwene

:cry: I had written the best post ever, listing over a million reasons why LotR is the best film ever produced... and my lap top crashed!!! :evil:

In a nutshell - my favourite film(s) ever. Bought the extended versions, the music CD's and have read the book.

Would maybe change 0.01% ... as near to perfect for me as I am ever likely to see.

*...and now I am off to find a hammer...*

It would be almost impossible to the whole series do well as movies. I actually adapted the first half of TEotW for a screenwriting class (and the entire group of non-fantasy fans loved it) and the script ran about 3hours in length. That means it would need about two movies per book. That's not going to happen

BTW, Jason, if you read this, you never got back to me with your thoughts on the script. that was about 2 years ago :D

Do you think that still holds true? I havent heard anything about it? Maybe its just being kept under-raps for now until they have production underway? If they are in fact doing it' date=' then i look forward to the final product![/quote']

There's been some forward movement on the project. I know there is a script writer and there's been talks with directors. Nothing definite or official though. I think we're still years away.

In Robert Jordan's interview with Locus he says at the end that "a movie based on The Eye of the World is still in the works." So it sounds to me like it's happening. As of this month there's nothing saying they've cancelled the project.

I like the LOTR movies alot. (Probably my favourites :wink: ) BUUUT... I don't think WoT should be made into a film. LOTR had as a maximum about 6 overlapping storylines. Harry Potter has even less as does Narnia. But WoT so complex and has so much going on I fail to see how the later books will be suitably justified to their full extent without losing a huge majority of material. :?

*nods*

the only way that prolly migth work would be tv series...it migth work if they took the time to do it properly and not just make mini series but sesonal series...there is enough material in WoT for more than one year of weekly episode(s)

I agree. In order for the WoT series to really be done right they'd probably have to dedicate a years worth of weekly episodes for each book. Also, they would have to hire an extensive team of wardrobe and special effects artists. It would be very expensive to make, and like was said earlier, they would still have to leave some things out. There is just no way that all the plot twists and turns can be covered in a 45 minute spot or a 4 hour movie.

[edit]

And there are many seemingly little plot twists and turns in the books that end up being vital to the main story line. There are many things that just wouldn't make sense if they were left out.

i tend to remember that hallmark produced things to a lower cost by cuting some of those blasting all shiniest newest stuff that they use in these big movies...and instead focus on the story

didn't jim henson and hallmark work together on farscape? that was an expensive show... but i liked it. anyway, if they could achieve the caliber of modern shows without the totally dingy and cheap look of sci-fi/fantasy movies while keeping the story mostly intact... it would be great.

I think a tv series is WAY to implausable. To do the books justice you'd have to do about 1 book a season. That's a total of 12 seasons... that's asking for a LOT of veiwers for a show to last that long. Plus that means the actors would age 12 years, in the books they age like... 5 or 6. A tv series would be able to add more, but it would take too long.

A movie shoot like LotR (all the films at once) would take about 6 months a movie (roughly, depending on how much money the project gets) at that rate it would take 6 years to finish the movies. Plus another 12 years to release them all. Doing this entire series is just about as impossible as you can get, BUT it's always been my dream to be the crazy guy who directs this. This is my dream project, I wouldn't mind spending my entire life on just those 12 films.

Thank you very much Heckishfish! :D

I'm studying for a Telecommunications and Film Studies degree right now at Eastern Michigan University, so it'll be a while before I even attempt to make these movies, and by then the movies they're making now will probably have already been done. But hopefully (for me) they'll be REALLY bad so I can make the MUCH better. :twisted:

Haha your welcome - im a technology major at App State in NC, but ive given serious thought to film..im writing a script (has nothing to do w/ fantasy) right now..Ive got about 70pages so far. Who knows maybe ill go back to school for film later!

Archived