DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Breaking through Shields

Rivirland

You are correct..a sudden disruption in the flow of the OP can still the channeler...Demandred was trying to still or kill Rand by trying to stop the flow of OP during the cleaning of saidin. I guess the same thing happened when Rand broke through the shield held by the 3 AS.

Slightly off-topic, but Nynaeve recognized a weave that she claims was intended to still her when she fought Moggy in their invisible fight. Though if they were similar in strength, I wonder if it would have worked if it had landed. Obviously Nyn wasn't about to test and find out. But it seems odd that you can't shield someone the same strength as you who's already embraced, but you can still them?

With Ny's knowledge at that point of time, I doubt she could clearly tell what weaves were going to do what. She was copying what Moggy was doing.

you can most definitely weave [successfully] within being able to see your weave. it is just much harder; you can drive blindfolded, it is just much harder [to do it successfully].

Seconded.

In the same manner, When Rand holds Lanfear in the Stone of Tear, she cuts through Rand's weaves WITHOUT seeing them. then says "I do not have to see a flow to unravel it, if I know what it is and where."

When Rand severs Asmodean's bond to the DO, he does it without seeing the threads "...He had not seen those strange things like black steel wires around Asmodean since leaving the dark place, but he could visualize them even in the Void, place them in his mind around the Forsaken..."

You only need your eyes to direct the weave, not the actual weaving.

Ok, just quickly, you can...

1. Hold a weave you have completed, and then moved out of sight of it, still maintaining it--though it would begin to attenuate over distance, and become pointless.

2. Weave against something you cannot see, as Lanfear does, and Rand later with the Salidar embassy.

3. You can weave in darkness, and see the weaves (weaves appear to the eyes, but they are not the result of light reflection).

Where things become difficult, is when you cannot see what you are weaving--say you're shutting your eyes. We've been told this a number of times--it is impossible to weave when you cannot see the weaves--you can draw on the source, and likely form a thread, but weave? No.

Where things become difficult, is when you cannot see what you are weaving--say you're shutting your eyes. We've been told this a number of times--it is impossible to weave when you cannot see the weaves--you can draw on the source, and likely form a thread, but weave? No.

when were we told this? Do you have the quote from my semirhage example? I could have sworn that she said you couldn't see weaves inside somebody's head.

You don't see weaves in your head, you see them with your eyes, but you can see them even in darkness. We see this numerous times, when characters weave lights in darkness, when Rand breaks open his chest.

And it makes sense, the visibility of the weaves is not caused by an interaction with light, as is other sight, or else everyone would be able to see them, yet it is still the channelers eyes which percieve those weaves.

In any case, this is the case. You can still weave in darkness, but not if you cannot see the weaves--i.e. not if your eyes are closed or you've been blinded or whatever.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't weave without being able to see. You can tie your shoelaces without looking, after all. It would be hard to do much of anything useful, though, and I imagine it would be extremely hard to learn anything.

I'd also like to know how much feedback you get from your weaves of air. If you push a weave against something, do you feel resistance or do you just have to watch for the effects? Would it be possible to have a network of tiny air 'feelers' around you, each one like a stick for a blind man, to help you move if you lost your sight?

You are correct..a sudden disruption in the flow of the OP can still the channeler...Demandred was trying to still or kill Rand by trying to stop the flow of OP during the cleaning of saidin. I guess the same thing happened when Rand broke through the shield held by the 3 AS.

It just occurred to me - why didn't someone go to the Choedan Kal statue in Cairhien and start dropping power-bombs on it from a distance? Cyndane at least knew where it was.

It just occurred to me - why didn't someone go to the Choedan Kal statue in Cairhien and start dropping power-bombs on it from a distance? Cyndane at least knew where it was.

Most likely because doing something like that could be a good way to "crack the world like an egg"...

You don't see weaves in your head, you see them with your eyes, but you can see them even in darkness. We see this numerous times, when characters weave lights in darkness, when Rand breaks open his chest.

And it makes sense, the visibility of the weaves is not caused by an interaction with light, as is other sight, or else everyone would be able to see them, yet it is still the channelers eyes which percieve those weaves.

In any case, this is the case. You can still weave in darkness, but not if you cannot see the weaves--i.e. not if your eyes are closed or you've been blinded or whatever.

Does not explain how Sammael sitting in Illian was trying to blast Rand in Cairhien.

Does not explain how Sammael sitting in Illian was trying to blast Rand in Cairhien.

Icould attack you from Jupiter if I opened a gateway...

i don't think he was in illian....wasn't there some mention of rand seeing somebody running away?

IIRC he saw the weaves coming from the direction of Illian..which is how he guessed it was Sammael attacking him.

Rand guessed it was Sammael because it was a strong male channeler and it was the kind of thing LTT knew that Sammael would do.

I think I can remember a RJ quote to the effect that a blind person could channel. But I can't track it down. A saidin channeler fighting a saidar channeler would be a bit like playing battleships. The saidin channeler has a slight edge because his skin prickles when saidar is held.

Archived