DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Are the Amyrlin and Dragon Equal?

XXX

Your point is a good one, and I think a great many fans take the same sexist view you have ("Women should rule the men!!").

Personally, I loathe Egwene because I hate narcissistic, arrogant, unfeeling, heartless a$$holes who care more about obtaining power than they do the people who are supposedly their friends and family (and she fits that bill perfectly, in my opinion). I feel the same disgust for almost all of the Aes Sedai for the same reason. I loathe most of the Warders, the bonded Asha'man, and a great number of the men in the series because they are spineless slaves who have no sense of self worth and think the only way to have worth is being human shields for one of the aforementioned a$$holes.

No , I don't think that women should " rule " , but guide men and save them from one-moment-making decisions , which could come to disaster themselves and many others . May be I should add to help you ( and some others ) understand me better , that I'm a wiccan who believes in Goddess-Consort conception and find an AS-Warder relations a perfect reflection of the later . Egwene is neither unfeeling nor heartless , she is just responsible for hundreds of thouthands human lives . So , she hasn't a luxary to prefer her friends interests before her Duty .

And I don't " hate " Rand or Mat , or Perrin . I just don't like RJ's decision making them more than I would do on his place . But it's his Work , not mine , so it's ok .

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest PiotrekS

XXX47, those are all excellent reasons why it is completely illogical for Egwene to be given command. You are right in every respect. The notion is absurd.

It is also what is going to happen. I don't think I have every read an author more in love with a character than Jordan was in love with Egwene.

I don't know..maybe Egwene is being set up for a massive fall. Hopefully by Rand but I will take it if anyone teaches her some humility.

There is a passage in ToM where she is writing to the Darlin and in her PoV

Obliquely, she realized what she is doing. She was using Rand's proclamation as a beacon by which to gather and tie the monarchs to the White Tower. They would come to support her arguments against the breaking the seals. But in the end, they would serve mankind in the last battle.

I cannot believe the author would put in something like that and expect you to like the character.

or this when finding out that Elayne had bonded Rand

Yes, she bonded him. Well that would be useful

or her uneasiness in AM bonding AS even after knowing that the taint is no more present but is fine when AS bond AM

No author can write this and hope people like this character.

Do you know that people are different and their simpaties , antipaties and prejustices not the same ? For example , I like Egwene so much particulary because I simply like the women being in charge , not men . And , for the same reason , I don't like RJ's way making Rand the messiah-nic figure , not Egwene or Nynaeve , Moiraine , Aviendha , Tuon ..

By this logic, you simply like the "woman in charge", whoever she might be, and not really Egwene as a concrete literary character. It could be any Jane Doe, provided she was in charge.

By this logic, you simply like the "woman in charge", whoever she might be, and not really Egwene as a concrete literary character. It could be any Jane Doe, provided she was in charge.

No , of cause not " whoever she might be " , only those who acts how she should in their position . I like the priciple , as I mentioned in the previous post , it doen't mean that I would like every women in charge ( honestly , not myself :rolleyes: ) . Egwene is the character , whom I trust the most , whom I prefer being responsible one in our real world .

Guest PiotrekS

No , of cause not " whoever she might be " , only those who acts how she should in their position . I like the priciple , as I mentioned in the previous post , it doen't mean that I would like every women in charge ( honestly , not myself :rolleyes: ) . Egwene is the character , whom I trust the most , whom I prefer being responsible one in our real world .

Ok, I understand :smile:

I wouldn't be able to trust Egwene, but that's not the topic for this thread...

"Do they really?"

Rand=LTT is kill, because after book 12, he received all of LTT's memories

Memory and skill are not the same thing - one could remember being really good at something, but not be really good at it anymore. Therefore the rest of your argument falls apart. Rand might not have LTT's skill, so even if LTT is more skilled than Egwene it doesn't mean Rand is. So you have presented no evidence Rand is more skilled than Egwene. Egwene's skill in relation to Nynaeve would only be important if you were demonstrating that Rand (not LTT, Rand) was more skilled than Nynaeve.
If the Dragon Reborn turned to the Shadow, Pattern and the world would be destroyed (see end of book 12).
See start of book 8 - Sha'rah. If the Dragon turns the Light can still win by only leaving him moves that benefit them. Likewise the Shadow can win without turning Rand.

Rand has smashed forsaken after forsaken with the OP. Egwene managed to beat one of them in TAR(no OP use there). He uses so many weaves in Maradon that on his own he smashed tens of thousands of shadowspawn. Where exactly has Egwene shown evidence that she is a better fighter than him?

Oh I agree she knows better how to make a shiny metal...

It's possible to win fights through means other than pure skill. If Rand is winning fights through means other than skill but Egwene is using her skills to make "shiny metal" then I'd say that's evidence of Egwene's skil, not Rand - and as it's skill we're talking about, not ability to win fights, I'd say you lose that point. I don't know where Egwene might have shown evidence she's a better fighter, but given that I'm not contending she is there's no reason why I should. Your ability to read the posts you are responding to is as terrible as ever.

"Do they really?"

Memory and skill are not the same thing - one could remember being really good at something, but not be really good at it anymore. Therefore the rest of your argument falls apart. Rand might not have LTT's skill, so even if LTT is more skilled than Egwene it doesn't mean Rand is. So you have presented no evidence Rand is more skilled than Egwene. Egwene's skill in relation to Nynaeve would only be important if you were demonstrating that Rand (not LTT, Rand) was more skilled than Nynaeve.
If the Dragon Reborn turned to the Shadow, Pattern and the world would be destroyed (see end of book 12).
See start of book 8 - Sha'rah. If the Dragon turns the Light can still win by only leaving him moves that benefit them. Likewise the Shadow can win without turning Rand.

No doubt that LTT is more skilled than Egwene, we are talking about the greatest AS in AoL, let's get real.

That's a compelling argument - "I have no evidence about their relative skill levels, but get real."

Egwene has not shown any high level skills, she found the 100 AS Weaves to be complex and has not memorized all of them. Nynave on the other hand...Exactly.
Your one example of a lack of skill is the hundred weaves, and your insistent irrelevant comparison with Nynaeve. How well did LTT do at the hundred weaves?

Let's look at some of Rand's actions: Untainted saidin (done the impossible, almost nobody believes it, Logain still thinks the Creator did it), defeated massive armies, killed 1000's of Trollocs at once (Stone of Tear, Moraine was astounded), defeated Forsaken in One Power battles, defeated an army of at least 500,000 at Maradon.
Untainting saidin required one weave, not said to be of especial complexity, but required an awful lot of power and to be held ofr a long time. An impressive display of stamina, perhaps, but not skill. One can kill thousands of Trollocs through strength, it's not a given it's a show of skill. He's defeated Chosen via strength and outside interference, but I can't recall any instance of a win via him being the more skilled channeler.

It is no contest. Not sure why you are still at this, it should be self evident.
But it isn't. The evidence is strangely lacking. You insist on running down Egwene and saying how wonderful Rand is at any given opportunity, but when you are asked to back up your points you come up with a load of irrelevant rubbish. Is evidence suggesting Rand is a more skilled chaneler really so thin on the ground?

"Do they really?"

If we were talking about the real world, you would certainly have a valid point, but I'm not sure this holds for the WoT. After all, is Mat not an incredible warrior and general based only on the memories in his head? Can Rand not draw excellently because Lews could?

Mat is an excellent general, and his memories have given him a shortcut to the top, but they alone do not make him a good general. What does is the lessons he draws from them. If you read a thousand books on war you wouldn't necessarily be a good general if you could never apply the knowledge. Mat has the knowledge, but is a good general because of how he applies it - and it is Mat's skill, not his memories, that allows him to apply it. Rand's drawing is a clear indicator of there being more than just memories in Rand's head. Had he memories alone, he would remember being good at drawing, but not actually be good at it any more.

Obliquely, she realized what she is doing. She was using Rand's proclamation as a beacon by which to gather and tie the monarchs to the White Tower. They would come to support her arguments against the breaking the seals. But in the end, they would serve mankind in the last battle.

I cannot believe the author would put in something like that and expect you to like the character.

I know Suttree already made this point, but it bears repeating. What a monster Egwene is for trying to get people to serve manking at TG. I hate her so damn much.

Damn that Egwene. Trying to gather the nations to serve mankind at the last battle!!! Her list of atrocities continues to grow...

And uniting the nations to serve mankind means to tie them to the white tower...self grandeur has no limits here!! What about tieing them to the Dragon..the man who is supposed to save the world.

God I hope the character is killed off and the entire AS organization smashed at the end of the book.

Yeah, shocking that Egwene was trying to do her job, which is to increase the influence of the Tower and to oppose the Shadow, what a monster... :rolleyes:

I don't even like her at all yet I am finding all the Egwene bashing of late excessive.

When people like the white cloaks etc set aside long held animosities to fight the LB, the AS even now thinks about how to increase the influence of their bloody tower.

Go Seachan burn it into the ground!!!

This whole thread has gotten silly.

It starts with a run of Egwene-bashing that even I, an Egwene-hater, find excessive in its tone, if essentially accurate in its substance;

It continues with an absurd series of posts suggesting that two characters clearly not intended to be equals are in fact equals, or even that the lesser is the greater;

Sprinkled throughout are remarkably foolish statements that a character who been in command for not so much as a skirmish is a better general than one who is, in this life (to say nothing of others), an experienced commander;

Followed by an argument that a character is somehow condemned by one of the few bits of internal dialog we have seen that actually rebounds to her credit;

And seemingly coming to a conclusion with an assertion that remembering exactly how to accomplish a task(a task involving mental rather than physical effort) somehow does not equal having skill in performing that task.

I hope that people are just reacting to the OPs tone with hyperbolic statements in support of Egwene, and haven't in fact entirely taken leave of their senses.

I don't even like her at all yet I am finding all the Egwene bashing of late excessive.

This.

Egwene could do with a lesson in humility, but she is a capable leader.

Besides, no matter what she is, she isn't nearly as bad as Elayne or Gawyn.

This whole thread has gotten silly.

It starts with a run of Egwene-bashing that even I, an Egwene-hater, find excessive in its tone, if essentially accurate in its substance;

It continues with an absurd series of posts suggesting that two characters clearly not intended to be equals are in fact equals, or even that the lesser is the greater;

Sprinkled throughout are remarkably foolish statements that a character who been in command for not so much as a skirmish is a better general than one who is, in this life (to say nothing of others), an experienced commander;

Followed by an argument that a character is somehow condemned by one of the few bits of internal dialog we have seen that actually rebounds to her credit;

And seemingly coming to a conclusion with an assertion that remembering exactly how to accomplish a task(a task involving mental rather than physical effort) somehow does not equal having skill in performing that task.

I hope that people are just reacting to the OPs tone with hyperbolic statements in support of Egwene, and haven't in fact entirely taken leave of their senses.

Hope I'm not breaking rules by posting just to say this, but: Yes. I agree.

"Do they really?"

Rand has smashed forsaken after forsaken with the OP. Egwene managed to beat one of them in TAR(no OP use there). He uses so many weaves in Maradon that on his own he smashed tens of thousands of shadowspawn. Where exactly has Egwene shown evidence that she is a better fighter than him?

Oh I agree she knows better how to make a shiny metal...

It's possible to win fights through means other than pure skill. If Rand is winning fights through means other than skill but Egwene is using her skills to make "shiny metal" then I'd say that's evidence of Egwene's skil, not Rand - and as it's skill we're talking about, not ability to win fights, I'd say you lose that point. I don't know where Egwene might have shown evidence she's a better fighter, but given that I'm not contending she is there's no reason why I should. Your ability to read the posts you are responding to is as terrible as ever.

"Do they really?"

No doubt that LTT is more skilled than Egwene, we are talking about the greatest AS in AoL, let's get real.

That's a compelling argument - "I have no evidence about their relative skill levels, but get real."

Egwene has not shown any high level skills, she found the 100 AS Weaves to be complex and has not memorized all of them. Nynave on the other hand...Exactly.
Your one example of a lack of skill is the hundred weaves, and your insistent irrelevant comparison with Nynaeve. How well did LTT do at the hundred weaves?

Let's look at some of Rand's actions: Untainted saidin (done the impossible, almost nobody believes it, Logain still thinks the Creator did it), defeated massive armies, killed 1000's of Trollocs at once (Stone of Tear, Moraine was astounded), defeated Forsaken in One Power battles, defeated an army of at least 500,000 at Maradon.
Untainting saidin required one weave, not said to be of especial complexity, but required an awful lot of power and to be held ofr a long time. An impressive display of stamina, perhaps, but not skill. One can kill thousands of Trollocs through strength, it's not a given it's a show of skill. He's defeated Chosen via strength and outside interference, but I can't recall any instance of a win via him being the more skilled channeler.

It is no contest. Not sure why you are still at this, it should be self evident.
But it isn't. The evidence is strangely lacking. You insist on running down Egwene and saying how wonderful Rand is at any given opportunity, but when you are asked to back up your points you come up with a load of irrelevant rubbish. Is evidence suggesting Rand is a more skilled chaneler really so thin on the ground?

"Do they really?"

If we were talking about the real world, you would certainly have a valid point, but I'm not sure this holds for the WoT. After all, is Mat not an incredible warrior and general based only on the memories in his head? Can Rand not draw excellently because Lews could?

Mat is an excellent general, and his memories have given him a shortcut to the top, but they alone do not make him a good general. What does is the lessons he draws from them. If you read a thousand books on war you wouldn't necessarily be a good general if you could never apply the knowledge. Mat has the knowledge, but is a good general because of how he applies it - and it is Mat's skill, not his memories, that allows him to apply it. Rand's drawing is a clear indicator of there being more than just memories in Rand's head. Had he memories alone, he would remember being good at drawing, but not actually be good at it any more.

I know Suttree already made this point, but it bears repeating. What a monster Egwene is for trying to get people to serve manking at TG. I hate her so damn much.

You keep going on and on about Ewgene's amazing skills in the One Power. Provide one example that completely amazed/shocked people (e.g. Rand untainting saidin, Maradon, Nyaneve curing severing...).

In absence of proof, somebody like Nyaneve >>>>>>>>>> Egwene in OP skill, I have shown more than enough examples, same with Rand.

All the evidence indicates that Egwene is nowhere near Nyaneve, let alone Rand.

You keep going on and on about Ewgene's amazing skills in the One Power. Provide one example that completely amazed/shocked people (e.g. Rand untainting saidin, Maradon, Nyaneve curing severing...).

Rediscovering how to make Cuendillar was pretty awesome...and to all the people that keep saying she is replaceable let's not forget Moraine's quote:

“You are part of the Pattern, too, both of you, in some fashion. Perhaps not ta'veren - perhaps - but strong even so..."

"How well did LTT do at the hundred weaves?.

He is the only male Aes Sedai still living that was properly raised, as he told Cadsuane.

Egwene has not been properly raised. Probaby the only AS ever that did not take the AS test.

"One can kill thousands of Trollocs through strength, it's not a given it's a show of skill. He's defeated Chosen via strength and outside interference, but I can't recall any instance of a win via him being the more skilled channeler."

Because your bias is clouding your judgement. Does anybody really think that a 19 year old girl is more skilled than LTT? .

You don't find the weave he created to kill 1000's of Trollocs at once incredible? Can provide any amazing feats by Egwene?

You don't find defeating Forsaken to be impressive?

Egwene herself was amazed at how many ways Rand split his Weaves (book 4). She was amazed, but I gather you are not impressed once again.

Naeff could not even track the number of Weaves Rand channeled at Maradon. I assume you are not impressed either.

Now imagine his feats in book14, but I assume you will not be impressed by those either.

Pray tell, what has impressed you about Egwenes skills? Give examples.

You may well be the only person that believe that Egwene is more skiled than LTT. But hey, some people still believe the Earth is flat.

Rediscovering how to make Cuendillar was pretty awesome...and to all the people that keep saying she is replaceable let's not forget Moraine's quote:

“You are part of the Pattern, too, both of you, in some fashion. Perhaps not ta'veren - perhaps - but strong even so..."

Nyaneve has done the impossible: Cured severing. Cured madness (even the Lord of the Morning was impressed). New form of healing. Faced Moghdien as a noob and defeated her. The most impressive of the 3 Edmond Field girls.

Elayne can make ter'angreal, likely angreal and sa'angrel in the future.

Egwene is nothing special.

Just wondering how many Forsaken are you giving Rand credit for defeating? Take away Belal(Moriaine), Sammael(Masahdar, Liah), Aginor (eye), partial credit for Rahvin (as Rand was being handled until Nynaeve jumped in), I guess you have to count arangar(didn't take much skill), and that leaves Semirhage. It's pretty much 2 to 1 on the forsaken count.

and you accuse others of having bias cloud judgement :rolleyes:

Just wondering how many Forsaken are you giving Rand credit for defeating? Take away Belal(Moriaine), Sammael(Masahdar, Liah), Aginor (eye), partial credit for Rahvin (as Rand was being handled until Nynaeve jumped in), I guess you have to count arangar(didn't take much skill), and that leaves Semirhage. It's pretty much 2 to 1 on the forsaken count.

Defeating Forsaken:

Asmodean, Aran'gar, Semirhage, Ishamael, Rahvin.

5-1 Forsaken count

I have proven why Egwene is nothing special in OP skill by comparing her to Nynaeve and Elayne, her friends.

I have clearly demonstrated that she is not in same league as Nynaeve, let alone Rand.

Nynaeve >> Egwene >= Elayne

Unless Egwene does something truly spectular in book 14, obviously the above holds. But I suspect that the greatest OP wonders in the next book will be Rand and Nynaeve.

Defeating Forsaken:

5-1 Forsaken count

I have proven why Egwene is nothing special in OP skill by comparing her to Nynaeve and Elayne, her friends.

Nynave >> Egwene >= Elayne

Just because one female channeler has shown greater skill doesn't make someone "nothing special", that is an extremely flawed argument.

Defeating Forsaken:

5-1 Forsaken count

Nynave >> Egwene >= Elayne

Just because one female channeler has shown greater skill doesn't make someone "nothing special", that is an extremely flawed argument.

Actually it is logical. If you are no different that your peers on average, you are nothing special.

Actually it is logical. If you are no different that your peers on average, you are nothing special.

You are comparing her to women that are the most talented AS in an a thousand years so yes it is very illogical. Her peers include every other woman who can channel in Randland and she is in the top percent. Just because one is better doesn't make another not special, that should be a fairly simple concept.

I already mentioned Cuendillar, Egwene has been shown to be very dexterous with her weaves, she turned back the Seanchan while stoned on forkroot, and has defeated a Forsaken. I am assuming you are just trying to get a rise out of other posters, if anything everyone complains about Egwene being too talented!!! Seriously all anyone needs to do is read the quote above from Mor. She says Egwene is so important as to be just short of Tav'eren in how she is tied to the pattern. Someone like that is NOT replaceable.

You are comparing her to women that are the most talented AS in an a thousand years so yes it is very illogical. Her peers include every other woman who can channel in Randland and she is in the top percent. Just because one is better doesn't make another not special, that should be a fairly simple concept.

I already mentioned Cuendillar, Egwene has been shown to be very dexterous with her weaves, she turned back the Seanchan while stoned on forkroot, and has defeated a Forsaken. I am assuming you are just trying to get a rise out of other posters, if anything everyone complains about Egwene being too talented!!!

Apples to apples: Hold constant Training and Experience (years of being AS), then compare.

Egwene is not as talented as Nyaneve. Given that, she is out of her league against Rand/LTT.

Archived