DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[SG Faire: The Ogier] WoT Architecture?

Loreina

As Ogier, we also take great interest in building. Have you ever seen a building in real that made you go "Hey! That looks like the White Tower!" or "Wow! That's just how I pictured the bridge in _______ in WoT!" ?

Well, here's your opportunity to share that with the rest of us. I'm starting with the CN tower in Canada. When I think of the White Tower, what I see is very similar to it. :smile:imagesqtbnANd9GcQt_AMmPbgNj0HKQTpBrrL-cfFT17sLbvJ79S_OzTISEe58zoc.jpg

How about you?

*lolz* Clearly, we have no architecture fans here...

How about engineering? The Sunshine Skyway Bridge looks like it could have been built by Ogier, as does the Millau Viaduct, awesome soaring structures that they are. Millau

Or do you favor a more ornate style like the Rialto Bridge for an Ogier-built bridge?

WoT Bridge

i'm more of a nature landscape person rather than man made archutecture person.

MtWashingtonBigLake.Small.jpgmt_washington-web.jpg

the above are pics of Mt.Washington in Oregon (not my pics, i've never been) and is what i picture Dragonmount to look like.

Oooo, yes, that does look like a WoT Library, Ahmoondah! :smile:

Ah, Red, I love that picture! It does look like it could be Dragonmount. I have never visualized the whole mountain before. When I read about it, it appears to me as isolated places on the mountain, some mostly barren, some even glassy in places, like the volcanic craters of Hawaii. Pahoehoe

thanks guys!! Lor, with Dragonmount, i always pictured it to be similar to that, a really tall mountain with a jagged peak and smaller hills surrounding it as a rebound from the mountain raising up. it's also told to us in the books that its grass land mostly around the base of the mountain, so you'd just have to erase the trees with your minds eye :laugh:

heres also how i pictured the Steddings to be :myrddraal:

Redwood_forest_and_stream_by_Midolluin.jpg

its a picture from the Redwood Forest in CA. again, not mine, but i'd love to go one year!!

Lolz! I didn't know that was someone's head; I just thought it was something hanging on the wall! But now that you've pointed it out, I can see that it is. But it is still a nice picture, and a lovely memory too I bet. :smile:

O Yes! The redwoods! I've been to them, and they are one reason for the word 'awesome'. When the books mention the Stedding or sung wood, I always think of redwood, or large cedars because of their fragrance, the cedars of Lebanon for example, but larger.

Yes, jemron, I see something very like that for the Holds. And Rword's picture could be one of the towns of the Three-Fold Land, where the Trading Caravans stop for trade and supplies. *nods*

Rword, i think you might be right on how their houses would look!

see this is how i pictured the Waste to look like. i never pictured a desert, becuase Jordan never describes loads of sand, just a hot oven baked earth. so Death Valley, CA is what always comes to mind

Death_Valley_California_1600x900.jpg

this woudl be more near the edge of the waste, like the area Rand & Co travel through to exit the waste as their following the Shaido.

ugg. Atchafalaya. *shudders8 I dob't even need to click the link to know what you're talking about.

Ever time I have to drive across I-10 through there, I pray to the gods that I don't get in an accident and that the bridge stays secure,

Does anyone have any opinions of what real life cities, might reflect an influence on a Randland city.

Do the Ebou Dar lattice windows reflect a real-life city? Are the domes and spires of Arhidol inspired by Russian architecture? Do Aiel strongholds portray life for the Southwestern Native Americans? Anyone? Anyone? ;)

Yeah, the Anasazi a.k.a. Pueblo-builders culture of the Colorado plateau build some settlements which might look like Aiel Strongholds. This is the famous Cliff palace in the Mesa Verde.

Mesaverde_cliffpalace_20030914.752.jpg

But I did imagine the strongholds to be build more up against both steep cliff/canyon sides like this, instead of in an abri open to the elements.

.. oow, the URL didn't do the job, no nice canyon picture then I guess

looks like Cold Rocks Hold to me, atleast the outskirts of it!!

as for the blight, RJ describes it as a place of rotting ripe plants that burst froma gaze. i can't think of anything like that tbh, though i do think a swamp would be close to the Blight in smell. where is that place located that you posted a picture of? i live off of I10 but in Mississippi; if it's in LA, i might persuade bubba to go there so we can check it out *grins*

looks like Cold Rocks Hold to me, atleast the outskirts of it!!

as for the blight, RJ describes it as a place of rotting ripe plants that burst froma gaze. i can't think of anything like that tbh, though i do think a swamp would be close to the Blight in smell. where is that place located that you posted a picture of? i live off of I10 but in Mississippi; if it's in LA, i might persuade bubba to go there so we can check it out *grins*

It's an archaeological site located in the Mesa Verde National park, somewhere along the border between Colorado and Utah if I recall correctly, Don't remember the exact location though. I'm sure you could find their website. It's is a great place to go, throw in all your persuasiveness i'd say :).

Red, the Atchafalaya area I spoke of is in Louisiana. As Ahmoondah says, I-10 Interstate goes through it, certainly a tribute to highway engineering. It spans miles of alligator and snake infested swamp *shudders*, but it is beautiful in its wildness. It is home to the Cajun alligator hunters that I have seen on TV, too. :smile:

Wow! Arc, I have never seen that picture. I know only a bit about the Anasazi/Pueblo Indians, but that particular example really does look like it could be Cold Rocks Hold. Awesome! :smile:

Ohh.. shudders about the Atchafalya Basin

It's actual a marvel of modern engineering too.

The mississippi River "wants" to flow there instead of its current path, but the US Army corp of Engineers built a series of stuff to keep the Mississippi river from moving.

Archived