DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Eurovision Song Contest - Semi Final 1 (Tuesday 10th May 2011)

Corki

And we are not far awy from the start of the big event - Eurovision 2011 will officially be underway from Düsseldorf, Germany. The 56th Eurovision ever, and it is still going strong! And like the last few years, I will be your host for this evening's entertainment, passing my glorious comments on tonight's proceedings. I haven't had a big look into the songs tonight, so I have no idea what will be in our mixed bag of goodies tonight! Except Ireland are inflicting Jedward on Europe...

And just a quick rundown on how tonight is to work. 5 countries (Germany, last year's winner, the UK, France, Spain and Italy) are all guarenteed a place in the final as the Big 5 as it is this year. However, the remaining 38 countries have to battle it out for the remaining 20 places. So tonight is the first of the semi-finals. 19 countries are competing, aiming to get one of those 10 places. And you can vote while you listen, which is new this year. As is the national jury system in addition to the public vote.

So, go and grab something to drink and eat, and let's enjoy the evening's entertainment. Not long left to go now!

Not long to go now...

And in the meantime, feel free to get involved in the general Eurovision Song Contest thread that has been running! And there will also be a thread where you can vote for your favourite to determine what DM thinks is the winning song.

And we can vote tonight over here in the UK. And if I press my red button on my remote, I can sing along...I don't think I am that sad!

Now, here comes Poland!

Poland: Cred for not singing in English. That is about the nicest thing I can say about this. Weak verse, and even weaker chorus.

Norway: Apparently one of the favourites. Has a nice groove going on, but maybe too nice, I want the song to just explode. But the biggest problem is the singers voice, no energy in it at all.

Albania: Sounds like something Tina Turner could have recorded for a crappy action movie. And that is putting it nicely. Does not help that the singer looks like what we expect Pink to look likewhen she's 55...

Armenia: Quite generic eastern Europe-style. The chorus' Boom Boom Chacka Chacka is about as dumb as it comes, but it sticks like a chewing gum, and just because of that it will head into the final.

Turkey: 80s metal, that echoes of both Europe and bon jovi, but without any of the qualities of those bands. But the chick in the cage gets my 12 pointsbiggrin.gif

1. Poland

- her vocals and music seem completely out of sync...

- not a very strong song to open the show

- either it is the sync, or her vocals are too strong for the music...

- whatever it is, it just didn't work

2. Norway

- first time for Swahili on Eurovision!

- might have been better last year when we were in Africa for the Football World Cup

- reasonably catchy music

- is it me, or is there a real problem with the music and vocals - none seem to fit...

- a better song and performance than Poland

- pretty good all round effort!

3. Albania

- I can see what Scott Mills meant when he said that she would regret what she was wearing!

- a bit bland...no wow factor

- plenty of effort though

- nope...does nothing for me!

4. Armenia

- best performance so far...

- ...but not a great song (none have been so far)

- don't know what else to say...

- a bit more energetic that others

5. Turkey

- didn't Turkey send a rock band last year?

- mmm...interesting person in the cage...

- possibly the best song so far...

- did enjoy that!

Poland: Cred for not singing in English. That is about the nicest thing I can say about this. Weak verse, and even weaker chorus.

Norway: Apparently one of the favourites. Has a nice groove going on, but maybe too nice, I want the song to just explode. But the biggest problem is the singers voice, no energy in it at all.

Albania: Sounds like something Tina Turner could have recorded for a crappy action movie. And that is putting it nicely. Does not help that the singer looks like what we expect Pink to look likewhen she's 55...

Armenia: Quite generic eastern Europe-style. The chorus' Boom Boom Chacka Chacka is about as dumb as it comes, but it sticks like a chewing gum, and just because of that it will head into the final.

Turkey: 80s metal, that echoes of both Europe and bon jovi, but without any of the qualities of those bands. But the chick in the cage gets my 12 pointsbiggrin.gif

Agree. Serbia could get some bonus points for nice clothes. Russia has a up tempo song that I think I have heard somewhere before. :biggrin:

Serbia: Reminds of the more radiofriendly pop around 1990. Boring song, but quite good performance.

Russia: Basically a soloversion of backstreet boys. But it works.

Suisse: Sunny litte poptune, the kind paul McCartney writes five of before breakfast.

Georgia: Nu/rap-metal somewhere inbetween Linkin Park and evanessence. incredibly, this sounds even worse. Apparently, the original vocalist, who won the national qualifiers was fired because she was not good enough. How bad was she, if this was an improvement???

Finland: A guy, his guitar, and not very exciting melody to work with...All logic say that this should be a snoozefest, but somehow it works.

6. Serbia

- and another song in the home language

- am I having some kind of acid trip? That is bright...or I am back in the 1960s!

- and it sounds like something you might have gotten in the 60s!

- quite a good effort

- and I am liking it

7. Russia

- supposedly sounds like Just Dance by Lady Gaga...

- I think he needs tips from Jedward over his quiff!

- backing dancers are the best of the evening so far

- I find the song a little bit dull

- I somehow don't think light up jackets will be in fashion after that!

8. Switzerland

- nice and simple

- enjoyable

- too many "nah nah nah nah"'s though

- not bad vocals

- crowd seemed to enjoy it

9. Georgia

- ummm...right...

- I liked the beginning...until the rap-style part kicked in

- seems to brought Eurovision alive a bit after the last song!

- she is a bit shouty...

- full marks for effort

- it is growing on me

10. Finland

- amusing lyrics...

- wear a shirt, boy!

- crowd seem to like it

- nice and basic...and it works really well as a song

- potential winner...

Malta: Good voice, good beat, but could really use a strong chorus. Extrapoint for not being a ballad, first time ever for Malta?

San Marino: Decent ballad. Good voice. But could have been better produced, feels like something is missing.

Croatia: More electropop. But this has nothing going for it. Boring melody, boring vocals. Only fun thing was the dresschanges.

Iceland: Nice retropop. Maybe not the most sparkling performance, but considering the backstory this is very fitting.

Hungary: One of the favourites, and it is the best song of the competition. Of all the electropop songs, this is the most modern. Unfortunatly, she vocals does not quite work live, she misses a lot. And the overall performance is just...meh.

11. Malta

- 5th time lucky for Glenn!

- isn't strong enough vocally for the song

- doesn't seem to work

- needs more power in the verse sections of the song

- music is annoying thud

12. San Marino

- a singer with a host of musicals behind her

- a bit dull and dreary

- needs more power at times

- yawn

13. Croatia

- didn't know Alice Cooper was a DJ in his spare time!

- so, some poor Eastern European dance music

- just looked back up and she is wearing pink, not black!

- just about the brightest thing about this song is her dress

- four backing singers wasn't necessary!

- and now she is in white!

14. Iceland

- a bit like Finland, in that seems to work...

- a nice idea behind the song

- has feels of Norway's winning song from a few years ago...just no fiddle!

- something you would expect to find at a country fair...but as I said, it works

- though not a huge fan, I can see it winning

- did enjoy the tempo speed

- audience seemed to like it

15. Hungary

- just from the beginning, I can see why this is up with the favourites

- good strong vocals

- though it dies a bit in the middle, which is a real shame as it seemed to have the ingredients for a winning song

- and Scott Mills is right again...you can't tell whether is 28 or 48!

- not a bad song!

I am still waiting for Eurovision to wake up...it seems rather tame this year.

Portugal: Hahahahaha!!! This is absurd, awful, but quite hilarious.

Lithuania: The mandatory big ballad. Great voice, as expected from someone with a background in opera. but the melody does not quite work, it is too generic, and we have heard it a million times before, in Eurovision as well as in Disney movies.

Azerbaijan: Good radiopop. Individually, good vocalists. However, if you are doing a duet, you need a bit of chemistry, and these two have absolutely none.

Greece: Rap? zero points.

Archived