DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, Song 100, which was Dreams, ended up being a win for Originals, with 3 votes to 1.

And Song 101, Like A Prayer, ended up being a tie at 2 votes each.

Song 102 is on the way now!

Song 102: The First Cut is the Deepest

Song 102 is an absolute classic! The original romantic song was sung by Cat Stevens (now Yusuf Islam) back in 1967, and has been covered many, many times. I could have gone for the Rod Stewart version, but instead I've gone with Sheryl Crow's 2003 cover.

ORIGINAL: Cat Stevens

The First Cut is the Deepest originally appeared on Stevens' 1967 album, New Masters. The lyrics of the song show a theme of someone nervous about entering a new romantic relationship because he is still suffering from being hurt by his first love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCOp1ZhIUSg

vs.

COVER: Sheryl Crow

Crow covered the song in 2003 as part of her The Very Best of Sheryl Crow compilation album. The version become a huge hit for Crow, since the song spent 36 weeks on the US Billboard. It also ended up being her first solo "country" hit. The music video shows Crow in a rocky desert singing with her guitar, riding horses and interacting in a cowboy environment. Also, Crow's version omits various parts of the original, which could give it a slightly different meaning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBcAW63YWyk&ob=av2e

Voting ends Monday 25th October 2010 at 10pm (BST)

Right, with DM going down on me last night and tonight (and the fact that episode 2 of Sanctuary Season 3 was on tonight here in the UK), this got delayed. So it is time to wrap up the last song and move onto the next one!

So, song 102 was The First Cut is the Deepest, and Cat Steven's original beat Sheryl Crow's cover by 4 votes to 1.

The next song is on the way!

Maggie's Farm

Going for something slightly different for song 103. It sees Bob Dylan's Maggie Farm and the cover version by Rage Against the Machine.

ORIGINAL: Bob Dylan

The song was recorded in January 1965 and released on the album Bringing It All Back Home. Like many other songs from this period by Dylan, it is based in electric blues. The song can be viewed as Dylan's transition from a traditional folk singer to an innovative stylist whose self-exploration made him a cultural muse for a generation. The song is well-known for being at the center of the fervor that surrounded Dylan after his electric set at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm1Pp8blCSs

vs.

COVER: Rage Against the Machine

The rap metal band, Rage Against the Machine, covered the song as part of the 2000 covers album, Renegades. The band's nature make the song a lot heavier (and in my eyes, more enjoyable!). This version appeared during the end credits of the 2010 buddy cop film The Other Guys. Rage Against the Machine made the headlines during Christmas 2009 as the British's champion against Simon Cowell's manufactured pop singer from the X-Factor for the Christmas number 1 - and won!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGuimWXRjSU&feature=fvst

Voting ends Thursday 28th October 2010 at 10pm (BST)

• 1 month later...

Wow! I hadn't realised it has been such a long time since I did one of these! As a result, I will wrap up the last tie, and try and get a few up and running during the remainder of December.

The last "Original vs. Cover" saw a tie at 1 vote a-piece.

I will try and get a few up tonight to run for a couple of days. Please do not vote until I have cast my votes! Thanks!

Song 104: Many of Horrors/When We Collide

Time to compare the original by Biffy Clyro, a Scottish alternative rock song, with the cover from the recent winner of the glorified karaoke contest here in the UK, Matt Cardle. Sadly, I am not a fan of the X-Factor, as you may have gathered.

ORIGINAL: Biffy Clyro

From Scotland, this song comes from the group's 5th studio album, Only Revolutions. It was released as the fourth single in January 2010, reaching number 20 in the charts. Receiving generally positive reviews, the lyrics of the song concern the wife and family of lead singer and guitarist, Simon Neil. Jamie Fullerton of NME called "Many of Horror" a "perfect rock ballad".

vs.

COVER: Matt Cardle

So, the 2010 winner of The X-Factor was Matt Cardle, who was mentored by Dannii Minogue. I don't watch the show, as I view it as a glorified karaoke contest. I don't see the point of the show - it lacks creativity, and just ruins the music industry. I will just be pleased that it doesn't get to number 1 for the UK Christmas number 1. I don't see much difference between this and the original.

Voting ends Saturday 18th December 2010 at 10pm (BST)

Song 105: Don't Save It All For Christmas Day

Time to go a bit Christmasy as we approach the festive period. Next up is the song Don't Save It All for Christmas Day, originally performed by Celine Dion, and the cover courtesy of Clay Aiken.

ORIGINAL: Celine Dion

This was the third and last single from Céline Dion's album These Are Special Times. The album was released in 1998, yet the single came out in December 2000 as a promotion. Her music repertoire varies from rock and R&B to gospel and classical. She is also the only female artist to have two million-selling singles in the United Kingdom - though that might change in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMvn0UiOOLI

vs.

COVER: Clay Aiken

I have never heard of this guy before, but he does have a powerful voice. I was liking him, until I found out he came from the second season of American Idol. I just have this thing against manufactured pop stars. Anyway, Aiken covered the song for his 2004 Christmas collection Merry Christmas with Love. The song has become the signature song of all his Christmas tours.

Song 106: Last Christmas

The next song (and final one in the latest bunch) is a traditional and favourite song for the festive period - Last Christmas. Many artists have covered Wham's original, but I have picked the dance act Cascada as the first cover to see if it can beat the original. Others may follow in the days coming up.

ORIGINAL: Wham!

The song was written by George Michael, and first released in 1984. It was a battle between Wham! and Frankie Goes to Hollywood (with The Power of Love) for the 1984 UK Christmas number 1 - until Band Aid appeared! Wham! had to settle for number 2 in the charts. Selling over 1 million singles, it became the biggest selling single in UK chart history not to reach number 1. Since 2007 (and 1997 in Germany!), the song has regularly appeared in the top 40 of the UK charts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1zWafQF1hc

vs.

COVER: Cascada

Cascada, the German eurodance group comprising of Natalie Horler (singer), DJ Manian and Yanou, released their version in 2007. It was initially released in November and as a digital release only. It was then released on the single/EP What Hurts the Most, the first single from their second album.

Ooh this is a neat contest. I get to hear a lot of music I never would have come across. :D

OK

104 - Biffy Clyro. The cover just seems to lack some of the clarity and passion of the original.

105 - Celine Dion. I really wanted to like the Clay Akin version and I'm not a Dion fan, but it just wasn't as good.

106 - Cascada - I actually like this one a little better. Just a note, the original Wham video will not play in the US. It says "This video contains content from SOny Entertainment. It is not available in your country." Weird! But I found it elsewhere. :D

Archived