DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bowie

I can explain why I vote for

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain

I'll explain if anyone cares to ask... 8)

You have excetionally bad taste? You had a puppy named Bowie who ran away, so now even the name gives you bad memories? ;D

Bowie

I can explain why I vote for

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain

I'll explain if anyone cares to ask... 8)

You have excetionally bad taste? You had a puppy named Bowie who ran away, so now even the name gives you bad memories? ;D

Bad taste is an opinion...I just don't like David Bowie, which is why I voted this way...no offense intended. I know I certainly like music that others do not :) I like the puppy idea...I'll have to remember that one!

Time to wrap this up and then pass this thread into the capable (?) hands of Krakalakachkn.

And we would have had a tie, but I am counting Canis' vote for Bowie, which gives Originals a narrow 4-3 victory.

Time for Krak to take over!  ;D

EDIT: Points for February done to here. Corki

Song 63: Don't Rain on My Parade

"Don't Rain On My Parade" is a popular song from the 1964 musical Funny Girl. It was also featured in the 1968 movie version of the musical. The song was written by Bob Merrill and Jule Styne. Both the movie and stage versions feature Barbra Streisand performing the song. It has since become one of her signature tunes.

ORIGINAL: Barbra Streisand

Barbra Streisand is an American singer, songwriter, filmmaker and actress. She has won two Academy Awards, eight Grammy Awards, and four Emmy Awards.  She is one of the most commercially and critically successful female entertainers in modern entertainment history and one of the best-selling solo recording artists with more than 71 million albums shipped in the United States and 140 million albums sold worldwide.  She is the best selling female artist on the Recording Industry Association of America's (RIAA) Top Selling Artists list and the only female recording artist in the top ten.

(skip to :30)

vs.

COVER: Lea Michele

Lea Michele (born August 29, 1986) is an American actress and singer. She is known for her extensive work on the Broadway stage, particularly for her starring role as Wendla Bergman in Spring Awakening. She has recently received widespread acclaim for her performance as Rachel Berry in the Fox television series Glee, which premiered in May 2009.  This cover was performed on Glee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53_tu-O2sdY

Voting ends Thursday 4th March 2010 at 11pm (EST)

Song 64: Defying Gravity

Defying Gravity" is the main song from the musical Wicked, composed by Stephen Schwartz, originally recorded by Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth on November 10, 2003, and released on December 16, 2003. It is mostly a solo sung by the main character of the show, Elphaba (the Wicked Witch of the West), with two small duets at the beginning and in the middle of the song between Elphaba and her friend Glinda, and a chorus part in the end in which the citizens of Oz sing. It was performed on the BBC television programme I'd Do Anything, and as a result the song charted at #60 on the official UK Singles chart.

ORIGINAL: Idina Menzel & Kristin Chenoweth

Idina Kim Menzel (born May 30, 1971) is an American actress, singer and songwriter. She is widely known for originating the roles of Maureen in Rent and Elphaba in Wicked.

Kristin Chenoweth (born July 24, 1968) is an American singer, musical theatre, film, and television actress, and author. Some of her best-known roles have included her Tony Award winning role as Sally Brown in Broadway's You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, her role as Glinda in Broadway's Wicked, and her role as Annabeth Schott in television's The West Wing. She was a cast member on the ABC comedy-drama Pushing Daisies; her portrayal of Olive Snook on that show was recognized with a 2009 Primetime Emmy Award.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlMBcTGJ4YM

vs.

COVER: Lea Michele & Chris Colfer

Christopher Paul Colfer (born May 27, 1990 in Fresno, California) is an American actor and singer, best known for his portrayal of the character of Kurt Hummel on Glee.

Lea Michele (born August 29, 1986) is an American actress and singer. She is known for her extensive work on the Broadway stage, particularly for her starring role as Wendla Bergman in Spring Awakening. She has recently received widespread acclaim for her performance as Rachel Berry in the Fox television series Glee, which premiered in May 2009.  This cover was performed on Glee.

Voting ends Monday 8th March 2010 at 11pm (EST)

Song 65: Halo/Walking on Sunshine

In Season 1 of Glee, there was an episode where the boys and girls were supposed to mash two songs together.  This is a mash between Halo by Beyonce and Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves.

ORIGINAL: Beyonce

I think we all know who Beyonce is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcMmRL6_r24 (non VEVO)

ORIGINAL: Katrina and the Waves

Katrina and the Waves were a pop rock band formed in the 1980s, best known for their 1985 hit "Walking on Sunshine" and their 1997 Eurovision Song Contest victory with the song "Love Shine a Light".

vs.

COVER: Glee Cast

Glee is a show on Fox that rose instantly to national acclaim as the best new show on Cable.  Basically it's a comedy about a Glee club at a fictional school.  It's really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n1615vnUIQ

So, hopefully this makes sense.  You still vote for either the Covers or Originals.  So if you like the mash-up better, vote for it.  If you like both originals better, vote Originals.

Voting ends Saturday 13th March 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived