DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Song 46: Africa

Next up is one of all time favourite songs, and an imaginative cover by a Slovenian choir. It's Africa! I was so tempted to put the

by The Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra up instead - but maybe some other time! ;)

ORIGINAL: Toto

Africa ranks up there as one of Toto's biggest hits and well known tunes. It topped the US Billboard in 1982, and number 3 in the UK. The song almost never happened as it was nearly ommitted from the album Toto IV, as the band became so tired of the song. According to Toto, the basic idea behind the song is "a white boy is trying to write a song on Africa, but since he's never been there, he can only tell what he's seen on TV or remembers in the past".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPT_3PEjnsE

vs.

COVER: Perpetuum Jazzile Choir

Formed in 1983, the choir uses a wide spectrum of jazz styles, performing complex and dense harmonies. They perform bossa nova and swing music, as well as funk, gospel and pop, either a cappella with vocal percussionist Sašo Vrabič, or with a jazz trio. This version of Africa is a cappella - music is vocal music or singing without instrumental accompaniment. They have won many awards, and made it to the Choir Olympics in 2008. Even Toto's David Paich, co-writer of the original, approves of their version!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGqEvQH86MM

Voting ends Monday 14th December 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

• 4 weeks later...

Um...I thought I closed this off! Anyway, Perpetuum Jazzile win a close contest with Toto by 3 votes to 2, giving covers another victory.

Once I have finished points, I will be getting the first "Original vs. Cover" of 2010 up.

EDIT: ORG points for December for this thread done up to here. Corki

Song 47: Don't You Want Me

2010 is underway, and it is time for "Originals vs. Covers" to return after its Christmas break. First up for the new year is a bit of British synthpop from The Human League and some Swedish Eurodance - it is Don't You Want Me.

ORIGINAL: The Human League

This is the 25th biggest selling single in UK history, shifting an astonishing 1.4 million copies, and gave it the Christmas number 1 in 1981. The inspircation for the lyrics came when lead singer Philip Oakey read a story in a "trashy tabloid". Also, it was going to be a male solo, but Oakley deciding to make it a duet with one of the two female backing singers after seeing the film A Star Is Born. Success was also had in the States, when it reached the top of the US Billboard in 1982.

vs.

COVER: Alcazar

This was released internationally in 2002, and had the approval of The Human League. The cover sticks closely to the original, but has greater synths to give it that dance feel. It has a bit of a weird video, centering around a circus.

Voting ends Thursday 7th January 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

Song 48: All The Things She Said

Song 48 sees controversy in the form of t.A.T.u. from Russia, and Hurra Torpedo, a Norwegian kitchen music group. Time to enjoy the song All The Things She Said.

ORIGINAL: t.A.T.u.

The music video is an English dub of Ya Soshla S Uma (I Lost My Mind), the original Russian song. The song shot to fame in 2002/2003, courtesy of the controversial music video, which features the 2 girls dressed up in school uniforms in the wet - and kissing! Personally, I feel this overshadows the fact it is a good pop song, and it had strong chart showings, topping many charts across the world.

vs.

COVER: Hurra Torpedo

This is an interesting cover version, for Hurra Torpedo plays songs using kitchen appliances. International fame was achieved with a television performance of the 1983 Bonnie Tyler power ballad Total Eclipse of the Heart. It is most definitely music with a difference! There are bonus points for naming the kitchen appliances you see!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuZwnC9rB-A

Voting ends Monday 11th January 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

TATU for me too.  The cover...blech.  I didn't watch the entire video, but I saw stoves/ovens and a freezer, I think it was.  Inventive, I'll give them that.

By the way, I didn't know guitars were kitchen appliances. :P

Archived