DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mat

Everstar

I know i have already made a post and i hope this is not aginst the rules, that i havent read =P, but i was just wondering if the character Mat gets more screen time in the books. I really loved The Dragon Reborn when it finally gave the story from his own point of view and what he was doing, he is deffinatly one of my favorite characters. Ive only just started book 4 so dont ruin anything i just want to know if his story is a big part of the rest of the series?

hahahah its great seeing all these new people post and come up with theorys that have already been discussed lol and i say to nathan elder that you wont be disapointed with mat. well maybee in a few books. i have been reading the series since high school when they came out and that was close to 15 years now. and i can say that i have read each book close to 15 to 16 times over the course of those years getting ready to start reading them again x) probally have them read 2 or 3 more times b4 the final one comes out

Dang thats a lot of reading. But they are very good books i cannot seem to put them down till im done with them and then i just seem to pick up the next one never knew i could read 3 500+ page books in 2 and half weeks haha

When I first read TDR I was actually kind of irritated with RJ for keeping Mat's PoV under wraps for so long. He quickly became my favorite character, and future books do nothing but fuel the fire in that regard :biggrin: Some of the funniest scenes in the series are the immediate shifts from his PoV to someone else that's there, or vice versa.

I envy you in that you're reading The Shadow Rising for the first time. It's brilliant.

Mat also has the best collection of secondary characters of anyone.

I mean it's not that his personality alone isn't enough but it's the company he keeps that truly sets him apart from Rand and Perrin overall imo.

This. Most of the major characters have followers that like or respect them, but either Mat himself or the Band of the Red Hand as a device seems to work to give us characters that are likable. In turn, to me at least, it makes Mat feel like more of a person than Rand, Perrin, Egwene, or Elayne.

How many non-POV characters can make light of the aforementioned four characters while at the same time being respectful to them? Not many.

Archived