DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How much influence did Rand's use of the Portal Stone have?

Mandro

I have a lot of questions about the use of the Portal stone in TGH, one is that verin says "A surge in the one power while you were wielding it" or something like that, and I don't know how to interpret that, is it just that Rand is that powerful, or is it his proximity to the male chodan Khal, was he able to tap it at a distance? But mostly it's about the possible futures. when verin says, "I never thought I. . ." and cuts off. Was Verins experience with that transportation what made her come clean? It's kinda clear that Ingtar decided to sheath the sword for good because of what he experienced during the use of the portal stone, but there was also a moment when mat said "I will never betray you." or something like that. . .I'm wondering what mat saw, and what perrin saw, also hurin was there, and Hurin borderline worships Rand, I wonder what he saw as well.

If anything, I think it reinforced Verin's resolve to undermine the BA; and it certainly had a strong impression on Ingtar, though I like to think he always doubted his loyalty to the DO, and was on his way to coming clean with or without the Portal Stone experience.

I wonder how "real" the Portal Stone experiences were, considering the fact that, as far as we know, the DO (Ba'alzamon/Ishy specifically) really have NOT ever won before. So, why did Rand hear "I have won again Lews Therin"? That doesn't make sense to me. If the DO wins ever, even once, in any reality, aren't all realities/existences going to cease to exist? So, by that logic, he has never ONCE won.

RJ has said that there are varying degrees of victory that the Dark One might achieve short of actually destroying the Pattern, which is his ultimate goal. Ishamael probably did consider the end of the last Age to be a victory, if not the ultimate victory. Also, with big clues that Rand might actually die before the Last Battle, I will not be surprised if these are the last words Rand hears as he dies. It may be the most unavoidable thing about his fate, rather than something he somehow managed to avoid by making the right choices. And in that case, of course, Rand would have to be resurrected to finish the job, or he would have to steal Moridin's body (whichever you think is most likely).

I think Perrin probably saw that he was destined to be a Wolfbrother no matter what, and Hurin probably didn't see much of anything that was relevant to the plot, but Mat's betrayal might also be inevitable, though I don't think that Mat would willingly betray Rand. He could accidentally do it, though. Mat often observes that in some ways, he has the worst luck, and he's right in a way, partly because he resists going where the Pattern wants him to go, so the Pattern does things like drop buildings on his head to make him stay in Ebou Dar (in retribution, of course - not because he was trying to resist any real reason to stay in Ebou Dar). Also, RJ said that in a way it is true that Mat has the Dark One's own luck, so make what you want of that.

he saw all the versions of the current age where if something didn't go right he failed. The others would have seen all the possibilities aswell where it relates to them. So they would see themselves living and dying against the shadow or the seanchan or of old age or of anything.

Archived