DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Travel Advice

Jeannaisais

Okay peeps, I need some serious help here! I'm living in Granada, Spain until the end of May and will be traveling to Rome, but have nowhere else to travel as of yet, nor any idea as of where I would like to travel!

So, tell me, if it was your VERY FIRST TIME in Europe and you weren't sure if you would ever make it back, where are the places that you would absolutely have to see before leaving?

Keep in mind, you have 3 day weekends every weekend, all of Holy Week off and a 5 day weekend the week after Holy Week....and on a bit of a limited budget....what to do, what to do?!

Paris. Most beautiful city in the world, easy to get to from Spain, and with a bit of planning it is possible to live fairly cheap as long as you avoid all most tourist traps.

For a five day weekend, I would look for a cheap flight to Athens, and then head out to one of the islands. There is something special about that part of the Mediterranean.

I personally am partial to Prague and Budapest. Both are extremely beautiful and exciting to visit. I prefer Prague, but Budapest might be cheaper.

Also in Rome, be sure to visit the Villa Borghese and all the other touristy attractions. I wouldn't pay to go inside the Colliseum (it's an extra 12 euros) and not too exciting. Definitely visit the churches - Santa Maria in Trastevere (and if you find yourself in Trastevere you should visit a place called Good Bar (best cappuccinos and espresso I had in Rome) it's near Piazza Trilussa. Also there's a pub called Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fa that you should visit; it's about a minute walking from Good Bar. The best meal I had in Rome came from a restaurant called Taverna della Scala, which is near Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere. I got their Gnocchi della Taverna multiple times and wish I could eat it in the States.), Santa Croce, most definitely the Santa Maria del Popolo (got some great work by Caravaggio). The Vatican museums are awesome and definitely worth a trip.

Paris is super expensive, just saying.

well, Rome is included in what I've already paid to be over here. Not sure about Paris, but it's on the list of possibilities. Right now I'm thinking I would like to see Venice, Athens, Austria and maybe Germany?

Mayleigh-not sure if I'd make it to Dublin :( Sounds like mom is gonna come with me and all she wants to see is mountains and ocean lol so we're trying to find a couple of countries close by that have those and I'm thinking Venice would be a good base city to travel from.

Krak-Florence would be neat to see as well! What all places did you go to in Italy? And from place to place, what were travel times like? And how did you travel?

I don't remember Venice being smelly when I went. It is a fantastic place to visit since it is very different to any place you have been to before.

If you want a decent hotel at a reasonable price for Florence, just ask and I will see if I can remember the name of the place that Northie and I stayed in. It was very central, just above the Duomo.

I would say London, since I currently live here (and probably have a free place since one of my flatmates is moving out and we don't have a replacement at the moment).

Prague and Budapest are lovely cities. You would get a feel of Eastern Europe, which is slowly breaking out into the world of tourism. Both are pretty good value for money. There is probably more to do is Budapest, but both cities are beautiful.

Krak-Florence would be neat to see as well! What all places did you go to in Italy? And from place to place, what were travel times like? And how did you travel?

See above post. Florence was about a 4 1/2 hour train ride from Rome, but that was only because I chose the cheapest train. I think I paid around 16 euros for a ticket, but you could buy a 1 1/2 hour train ticket for around 40 euros. The Amalfi Coast was farther away and I'm not really sure how far because I went through this organization called Bus2Alps and I didn't really pay attention to where or how far because I was on a big ass bus with my friends.

I also went to the Villa d'Este in Tivoli, and that was easily a day trip worth taking. I believe I had to take the metro to a bus station a little outside of Rome (30 mins I believe) and then took a bus to Tivoli (about 40 mins). The Villa d'Este has some of the most beautiful gardens in the world. Listed as a UNESCO world heritage site, it is a fine example of Renaissance architecture and the Italian Renaissance garden. I would highly suggest you visit there if you have the time.

that is a good point about venice....milan would be cool to stay in too. I'm trying to think of something in the northern area of italy to make it easier to travel in continental europe.

Milan is super duper expensive

I don't remember Venice being smelly when I went. It is a fantastic place to visit since it is very different to any place you have been to before.

Prague and Budapest are lovely cities. You would get a feel of Eastern Europe, which is slowly breaking out into the world of tourism. Both are pretty good value for money. There is probably more to do is Budapest, but both cities are beautiful.

Definitely hit up these two - easily my two favorite memories. I desperately wish I could have gone to Venice.

The beauty of Florence is that it isn't a very big city at all. The Duomo is one of the most impressive buildings you will ever see. The Santa Croce Basilica is also worth a visit. Florence is famous for its leather products, and there is a leather workshop at the Church where you can little pieces. There are some wonderful leather jackets on offer, but the top quality ones really do cost a fortune (but probably totally worth it though). There are a lot of leather markets as well, but you have to be careful with these. I never went, but the Uffizi museum is a definite place to visit in Florence. Booking early is advisable. Dotted around the city are carts selling lampredotto (tripe). While you might initially turn your nose it, it's a great snack at lunchtime! And don't forget to take a trip over the Ponte Vecchio - you do wonder how it is still standing at times!

And don't forget to try the ice cream in Italy. Truly beautiful stuff!

oh that's right...i think there are some others in my program going to London that weekend...I should ask and maybe i can travel with them! I'll let you know what I decide so you can still be a tour guide for me if you'd like ;) lol

• 3 weeks later...

k well I know two girls in my program are traveling that weekend so we'll see I guess...after a week of hard core traveling with mom I may not want to travel the weekend right after...my other option is possibly April 8th through the 10th but that's sooo short

Archived