• Replies 237.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smiley73

• Crimson_Ayla

• Nyanna al'Meara

• mmeeshal

I am so stumped on an essay I have to write. I didn't even get a choice of topics this time, one was randomly chosen for me. I'm sitting here absolutely unable to think of any way to approach this stupid thing.... Maybe I should do a 10-minute free write and see if I can knock anything loose in my brain. So mad at the whole thing. Why can't I pick my own topic, for goodness' sake?

"Coming of Age."

Extended Definition Essay

1) Topics will be selected by lottery. I will email you the topic which was selected for

you by lottery.

2) Write a 750-1000 word essay defining the term assigned.

3) The essay must include a formal definition.

4) The writer should use five or more synonyms (or alternate noun phrases) for the

assigned term throughout the essay.

5) The writer should use negation as one developmental strategy.

6) The essay must additionally include any two (or more) of the following

developmental strategies: exemplification, comparison/contrast, process,

classification/division, enumeration, analogy, etymology.

8) Illustrate the essay incorporating graphics.

9) Post your essay on the student web page.

for the formal definition i'd go dictionary, and maybe meade.

synonyms also dictionary, online.

define negation? not sure what you mean?

exemplification - any coming of age rite, story, personal experience - first time youw ere left alone with the kids? allowed to go out on your own? this kind of thing?

comparison - coming of age today in modern western culture with no real ceremonial rites, and no real passage into adulthood vs coming of age in traditional societies with clear cut transitions from youth to adulthood.

graphics google search images coming of age

? done?

for the formal definition i'd go dictionary, and maybe meade.

synonyms also dictionary, online.

define negation? not sure what you mean?

exemplification - any coming of age rite, story, personal experience - first time youw ere left alone with the kids? allowed to go out on your own? this kind of thing?

comparison - coming of age today in modern western culture with no real ceremonial rites, and no real passage into adulthood vs coming of age in traditional societies with clear cut transitions from youth to adulthood.

graphics google search images coming of age

? done?

To the bolded parts...not sure what you mean by the first. XD

Negation, I believe, is defining a term by telling what it is NOT. So, "coming of age is NOT...whatever it isn't." XD

I guess I could use a picture of a car or something...we're not really intended to do research for this paper, but we're able to, anyway, which is good. XD But yeah, I was thinking like a graph or something, but I guess just pictures works. XD Derp...

Hmm...If I can think of how to approach the essay, then... Like, a thesis...she doesn't say we can't just say "I'm going to define this concept" but I'm not sure how well that would go over.... Hmm..... Maybe state that coming of age is an important part of every person's life? >.<

Just "coming of age." I'm writing an extended definition essay, and I have to use negation, graphics, and at least two other techniques of essay development like exemplification, compare/contrast, stuff like that. XD

So, I guess, at base, I'm trying to define "coming of age" as a concept...

*nodnod*

I know what coming of age is...it's just...writing about it.... Like...if someone says "Do you know what the word 'facetious' means?" I'd say "Yup." But when they say "Okay, so what is it?" I'd be like....."Um...well, it's like...well...let me just look it up because I can't think how to explain it."

XD

I mean, doing tons of research might give me the terminology for the essay...and maybe a direction to take it in.... That's always my issue: angle. XD Once I know what exactly I want to say, it's no big deal. XD