DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[s]Goal: 100,000 New Goal: 200,000[/s] New Goal: 250.000

Toy and Minion

Why do they call steamrollers, steamrollers? They don't produce, get rid of, or have anything to do with steam.

Whoever compiled this list was kind of silly. :laugh: Yes, they do, O List Compiler. They are POWERED by steam. Not always these days, of course, because there are other methods of propulsion, but that's how they started and that's where the name came from.

• Replies 237.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smiley73

• Crimson_Ayla

• Nyanna al'Meara

• mmeeshal

Do movie producers still say lights, camera, and action when it is a dark scene?

There would be no reason not to--I'm pretty sure most movies aren't actually filmed in the dark, and if they are, there are plenty of lights to allow the cameras to capture the "action." I mean, really, light is how cameras work. Ever tried filming in the dark with no light? Snapped a photo? How'd that turn out for ya?

LOL some of these are silly....

Why do we say we're head over heels when we're happy? Isn't that the way we normally are?

Technically, yes. Head over heels means tumbling head over heels--it doesn't mean our head is located above our heels. As best as I can tell, it means that someone is the wrong way up, or topsy-turvy. Not that it makes too much sense as is, but that's what it means. So, when we're "head over heels in love" with someone, we have totally "fallen" for them. In fact, we're somersaulting or else have been knocked over by the force of our emotion.

If one man says, "it was an uphill battle," and another says, "it went downhill from there," how could they both be having troubles?

Okay, I still feel the need to back myself up with research, but I want to try and answer this one without researching it first. XD

The first one's kind of self-explanatory--going up a hill is always harder than going down, because of gravity and the incline, which puts a strain on our muscles. So if it's an "uphill battle," it's demanding, it's a struggle, and it'll only get easier once you're out of it ("reach the top").

The second one is a little tougher... I have a couple of explanations for this one. First of all, I think of the snowball effect, or a boulder rolling downhill. At first, it's slow-going, and in the case of the snowball, still small. As it travels farther downhill and builds momentum, it picks up speed and force (and size if snow), until it's out of control and too large/fast/heavy to stop easily, if at all. The other thing I thought of was a graph--if you're looking at a graph with a curve or something, a lot of time a downward dip of the line is not a good thing (not always, but bear with me :tongue:). Less candy bars sold at that point in time, whatever.... So if it went "downhill," which could refer to the downward slope of the line in a graph....then it's headed in an undesirable direction.

That's all I've got there, out of my own head. XD

2 promotions on DM this week, had second round interviews at work and I know no matter what happens I'm staying there since everyone enjoys working with me, some personal stuff and yesterday went really well! All the food came out tasting awesome and my roommate relaxed about her "schedule" she had to keep to!