DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[s]Goal: 100,000 New Goal: 200,000[/s] New Goal: 250.000

Toy and Minion

*tacklehuggles Talya*

Oh my dearest OL, you are so wonderful! *squees*

Now that I know your favorite movies/soundtrack, I feel like sending you a care package! >.>

Who's your favorite character/actor from the books/movies?

• Replies 237.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smiley73

• Crimson_Ayla

• Nyanna al'Meara

• mmeeshal

Yeah, I missed that too.... It always stinks when stuff has to get cut for whatever reason!

What keeps me from comparing the movies to the books too much, is that I know it's got to be a HUGELY daunting task to turn something as epic as LotR into movie format. I think there are a few things they could've done better, but I still think they did a fantastic job, all things considered.

I didn't bring my LotR books with me when I moved out, darn it! I was feeling a reread, too.

I've read them about a million times and I've got a bunch of exams coming up so i'm sensing a marathon hehe .. I just wish they'd shown Tom Bombadil.. But greatest movie ever!

I second meesh! <3

I don't think I could choose a favourite character cos they're all so equally cool :P

Good luck on your exams, whenever they are, Tiinker. :laugh:

Hmm...yeah, I don't know if I have a favorite character, either. Actually, no, I take that back. Merry and Pippin are my favorite characters. ^^

Er...you have, Kudaran? >.> That is kind of interesting, to say the least. :laugh:

To say the least is right. *Lights on fire* That's $5.99. If you use a different currency, I won't translate for you, but I do expect the money. It's a staple of mine, lighting people on fire. Gareth the Conqueror stole my torch for a while *shakes fist in anger* , the torch-stealing trolloc... :angry:

Were you insulted by this? It will help in the future if I know how the average person reacts to being lit on fire. If you want to pay more, tips are welcome.

P.S. That was kind of random. I am bored, though.

I've had worse things done to me than being lit on fire, so no worries. I've never been charged for that favor, though. Interesting....

*flees the country without paying the fee*

Oh, yeah, I totally forgot about Mistborn! Oooo, I'm so excited, I hope it turns out great. :laugh: Of course who doesn't? Hoping isn't any guarantee of awesomesauceness....

I'm a few hours short of being halfway through the Way of Kings audiobook. Couldn't get my hands on the actual book.... And I got WoK free, so yay! It's really good, so far. :laugh:

I can't imagine writing something that huge.... O.o

You should try NaNoWriMo. The forums have TONS of tips and tricks to keep the words coming.... :laugh:

I'm actually still working on my NaNo project. I got to 50K words, but I didn't actually finish writing the book. XD And my boyfriend REALLY wants me to finish it, so I'm pushing forward with it. It's tough, though, because I have NO idea how it's going to end. :tongue:

I definitely think structure can help. Some people are total discovery writers, but other people need to at least know where their story is going when they start writing. I'm kind of that way; I need to know where it's going. I don't always know how it's going to get there, but as long as I know the end goal, I'm good and can pump out tons of stuff no problem.

But anyway, what did you start writing about?

Well it was a sort of sci-fi. Basically I never made it past the introduction. It started off on a sort of Skynet spaceship way into the future and there were about five or six characters I think who said things during the chapter. I never really got round to having a bunch of main characters because I didn't really get very far! Anyways the whole thing was basically this futuristic scenario where all these philosophical questions were already answered like "Whats the meaning of life?" or where do you go when you die. Yeahh all that was answered and I tried to integrate it all in the way that the characters spoke and I think i did a pretty good job :P Just really anything that came to mind I sort of melded into the story.

There were also separate worlds that one could head off to. Middle Earth, DC World and all but I think it was about his point when I had rambled for so long that I got so tangled and couldn't really continue :P

I might actually try again! Talking about it has made me a bit giddy..

And yes you should finish yours! Publish it! And I will buy it.. Care to give a recap like I did? =)

Ooooh, that sounds really interesting! Sci-fi and fantasy are my 2 favorite genres. :laugh: You really should give it another shot; I dunno if you ever listen to podcasts, but Writing Excuses is really good and can help a lot with offering different writing tips. It also exposes you to a variety of different levels of structured writing, and different styles...it's great.

The one thing they recommend the most often is this: Do what works for you; if it doesn't work, try something else. So if you have to keep trying different things before you find the best way to get into your story, don't give up! You'll get it. :biggrin:

I'm glad talking about your story idea has made you excited to try again! I definitely have hit a wall where I'm trying to get enthused about writing again and I'm just NOT. XD I can still write, but it's not as great as when I'm really feeling the story.

Oooo, a recap of my story...

Well, it's fantasy. >.>

There are like 2 main characters (so far; that MAY change but I dunno) and one of them is human, the other is this...tree-person. The two races don't live together in harmony. The humans are expanding their territory and are cutting down the forests of the tree-people, and killing/capturing the inhabitants (for study). The tree-person main character has set off to find a way to stop the humans before they totally destroy her people and land, and the human main character is an outcast and ran away from his people because he doesn't agree with what his people are doing. They end up meeting each other as they head north....

That's like the basic basic premise of my story and as far as I've gotten; I have the world pretty fleshed out and lots of stuff to work with, though. I don't know what the book will be called yet. >.>

Awesome!!

Tree-person? Dryads! :P You really should continue it! I'd really like to see how it turns out. And yeahh I know what you mean, when you just get the buzz and have this sudden urge to write and it all just comes shooting out and you can go on for hours and hours without pause to even think! I'll be sure to listen to those podcasts because at the moment I'm pretty hyped to get started XD

Oh and you'll be pleased to know I've found a new thing to do this week.. I'm going to Brussels for Europarty! Last minute sign up and me and a few mates got the last seats on the bus. Destiny or what? :P

They're actually like Nuzleafs, only more humanoid. >.>

I'm a-workin' on it, so I'll finish it eventually. :laugh:

Good luck with your story, let me know how it goes, and if you need any help! :happy:

Ooooo, that sounds like fun! Lucky! Oh well, I'm taking the trip of my life this summer anyway, so I have no cause to be jealous... Have tons and tons of fun! And take pictures, or else I'll come after you with a pitchfork! *cackles*

Italy! *uberjealous*

It's not the place, it's the people, and the fact that I've never been overseas before in my life, and probably won't be able to take another trip like this ever again..... I'm not doing anything super-exciting, though... (it's super-exciting to me, though)

Just going to England to visit my boyfriend and see the sights/sites, and London. ^^

I envy you guys being able to write, I can't do that!

Back to Meesh, I'm not sure which are my fav charaters, I did love Merry and Pippin...those somes in the extended versions! Legolas (definately the film one...*waggles eyebrows*) Eomer is worth a waggle too!

It was a shame they missed stuff out of the film, it lost the sense of time (15-20 years between Bilbo leaving and Frodo leaving)

And I was waiting fo rthat last bit in the shire, where the hobbits kicked butt!

But it was still very well done, and My fav film and book of all time, it has a place in my heart.

*lends Meesh her books*

Writing, for me anyway, comes alive when I can see my writing and see the whole picture. As a result, my first drafts tend to suck, but when I can go back through, I can see how bad it is and make the necessary changed. =D

The book I'm working on now is a good example of this. I had a general idea of where things were going but not nearly enough. My first draft was stupid. My second draft was laughable. My third draft (the one I'm on now) is infinitely better (I think writing on a computer helped too >.>). While there are still several chances I can see that need to be made (based on completely new progress I've made), the majority of it will be keepable minus a little editing.

Also, you guys seen Kathana's writing? :laugh:

That thing was amazing lol!

With mine, the beginning is crap, and needs to be majorly fleshed out and fixed, but the rest isn't too bad. As soon as I finish it, I'm going to back and do another draft like that, then have my manager edit it (I always edit his stuff so he can do mine lol), then hopefully be done.