DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Simple Question

tbeegle1

I'm hoping someone can answer a simple question for me. Once I finished ToM, I began a re-read. I'm in the middle of Path of Daggers, and in it, Perrin is speaking with the Wise Ones in their tent. They offer him something to drink, and his cup is gold, while everyone else uses silver. He states the oddity, and that there must be meaning, but as far as I can remember, it is never explained. Does anyone know if there is a specific reason, are the Wise Ones simply honoring him as their battle leader, or is there more to it?

Thanks all!

Eris

From a brief run through IdealSeek here doesn't seem to be any particular symbolism attached to golden cups among the Aiel. They're mentioned a handful of times... the Forsaken use them, some others; Sevanna drinks from a golden goblet in Malden, but that's probably just greed. Most goblets described being used by Aiel, e.g. those used by Rand and the clan chiefs in Rhuidean, are silver.

Possibly they meant to honor him, but I doubt we'll ever get a clearer understanding than he did then.

I'd bet there's a lot less to it than you seem to be looking for. I'd bet your hearing hoofbeats and thinking Zebras instead of horsies.

They probably gave him a golden cup simply because he has golden eyes, maybe as some sort of joke, and your lack of understanding why or how could be blaimed on the fact that Aiel humor is different and difficult for us wetlanders to understand.

Archived