DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The weaves!

Luckystrike

Seriously, even since I first started reading WoT I just don't understand the visuals of how weaves looks like.

"Just take the fire and mix it with earth, and some air and you have your breakfast."

I don't get it; do the channelers see the weaves as fire is a burning flame, and air which isn't visible because air is just not visible. Earth is mud or stones? And put it together and it becomes a weave.

Or Nynaeve healing-shit, with spirits and air. I don't see how they see it. Would someone help me imagine this correctly? :)

Imagine each element is a different color thread, Fire is Red, Earth is brown/Green, Water is Blue, Air is White/Yellow, Spirit is white. Then imagine those different colored threads being woven in a pattern to form a weave that will activiate a spell.

A Myrddraal walks towards Nynaeve. It's gaze is fixed on her and a slight curving of its mouth hints at its belief that she's transfixed by its fear ability. As it approaches we slow down time so that we can analyze what happens next. The Myrddraal's sinuous movements seem to be made through water as she embraces the power, causing her to glow with the One Power. Thin whisps of colored mist appear out of the glow surrounding Nynaeve which quickly flow together and coalesce into glowing strands slightly colored based on the elements they represent. These strands flow around Nynaeve as she raises her hand towards the Myrddraal. A look of shock washes over the Myrddraal as the strands begin to intertwine before her hand. If we pull closer to her we can see the individual strands used braiding themselves into an intricate pattern before the weave is completed which releases balefire and the Myrddraal is destroyed.

What the Glow of the One Power could look like.

stardustyvaine.jpg

Moiraine weaving in the Graphic Novel

SEP090770_m.jpg

Colors! Now I think I have an idea of the weaves. Thanks guys!

Still... I don't like those sorts of things, magic and powers like that, it feels very cheesy. Kind of stupid to say that in a Fantasy-series board.

I read in a review, a time ago, where the writer described the magic of WoT almost feeling like science-fiction because of the One Power being more than some random magic; it takes weaving to make a special "magic".

I always liked that because, as I wrote before, I think random magic is kind of cheesy.

Now it seems that the "magic" of WoT is actually kind of cheesy.

They don't actually have colors, though:

RJ's blog 22 November 2005 "I'M BAAAA-AAACK"

- Someone asked how difficult it is for a blind person to channel, but I didn’t make a note of who. In any case, it is difficult but not impossible. The different flows have different feels, though saying they have different flavors might be as accurate. In the comic, we use colors, not because they actually have colors but because they also can be told apart by sight. Someone who was blind and who tried to learn to channel would be able to differentiate between flows of the Five Powers. The difficulty would be in learning to make the weaves.

Week 9 Question: When a person channels, where do the flows appear to originate from? Do they extrude themselves somehow from the person's body, or do they seem to appear out of thin air in the channeler's general vicinity? What do the flows look like to a person who can channel? Are they colored, clear or indeterminate, smooth or rough, wispy or solid?

Robert Jordan Answers: To the channeler, the flows seem to originate in his or her very immediate vicinity, not to emanate from themselves, although to another channeler, those flows do seem to be emanating from the channeler. The latter is the actual case, as the One Power is passing through the channeler, one of the reasons for individual limits on how much of the Power a particular person can handle. (And you have seen characters react as if to a blow from having a flow snapped or cut.)A channeler sees the flows as colored very faintly, according to which of the Five Powers is involved (red = Fire, Blue = Water, green = Earth, yellow = Air, white = Spirit), although the "feel" of the flows are also different to a channeler, so that a channeler can tell one from another without actually seeing them. (That is how someone can tell that somebody else has channeled, say, Fire and Earth, in their vicinity without seeing the flows.) It isn't a physical feel; you might almost as well say that they have different flavors. They appear to be smooth and nearly transparent, tinged with color.

That's just part of how the channeler's brain interprets things. Unless the weave is made for that purpose, or has it as a side-effect, there's no actual light being emitted. Nothing is visible to a non-channeler. The OP is much more abstract than it might seem from the jargon used by Aes Sedai.

Think of a prism breaking "white" (invisible) light into visible colors. Ordinary people can't look through the prism, so they can't see the colors, but they can feel the effects.

Channelers get issued special contact lenses with built-in prisms. Once they can see the individual colors, they can also grab them, bend them, and twist them to make braids and ropes and baskets and other cool stuff. This is called "weaving."

Archived