DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discuss Rand

Luckers

Given that the LAST time Rand went to a so-called meeting (with as it turns out, a faker) he had his hand blown off, nearly went blind, was re-enslaved and nearly force to murder his cuddle-scone I don't feel that demanding a proof of identity from someone "claiming" to be Hurin was all that EEEEeevil.

After all its not like these people are being vetted via DNA analysis and retina-scans to ensure they are who they say they are.

As for him being "bullied", again, Eh.

Somewhat of a case of shooting the messenger, but if the message is, "We want to meet you, but only in a place where you will be helpless and the last time you went in good faith you were captured, and imprisoned, and tortured AGAIN" I'd be a little pissed of, wouldn't you ?

But I suppose the Grand Tour of Apology and Self-Flagellation for Rand must continue, moving right along.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given that the LAST time Rand went to a so-called meeting (with as it turns out, a faker) he had his hand blown off, nearly went blind, was re-enslaved and nearly force to murder his cuddle-scone I don't feel that demanding a proof of identity from someone "claiming" to be Hurin was all that EEEEeevil.

After all its not like these people are being vetted via DNA analysis and retina-scans to ensure they are who they say they are.

As for him being "bullied", again, Eh.

Somewhat of a case of shooting the messenger, but if the message is, "We want to meet you, but only in a place where you will be helpless and the last time you went in good faith you were captured, and imprisoned, and tortured AGAIN" I'd be a little pissed of, wouldn't you ?

But I suppose the Grand Tour of Apology and Self-Flagellation for Rand must continue, moving right along.

The Borderlanders didn't know what had happened to Rand there the last time, they were just taking precautions for themselves and their armies. BUT when they came up and back-handed Rand I almost lost it. That should absolutely not have been tolerated, prophecy or not, that's total crap. He doesn't have to stand for that kind of treatment by anyone. Not after everything he's given and everything he will give, literally his life, for these lousy ingrates.

Sorry to dig that topic from its grave ...

What the hell has Rand been doing in during the 25 days (as per this timeline)between saving Badar Eban from hunger and saving Ituralde in Maradon. From the PoV in those scenes he keeps saying that he's in a hurry, that he doesn't have time to to all that must be done ... yet we have a 25 days gap where we don't hear from him a single time. What's going on here ?

What the hell has Rand been doing in during the 25 days (as per this timeline)between saving Badar Eban from hunger and saving Ituralde in Maradon. From the PoV in those scenes he keeps saying that he's in a hurry, that he doesn't have time to to all that must be done ... yet we have a 25 days gap where we don't hear from him a single time. What's going on here ?

He's been knee deep in hookers and bl...Er, your guess is as good as mine? Probably find out in AMoL. Kinda reminds me of a kids book "Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch" excepting the obvious, that we don't get Rand's POV. Most likely culprit or casualty of trying to focus on wrapping up other characters' hanging chads, or ah plotlines without having one single book explode exponentially with content.

Which is the long answer, as we'll probably find out in the next book

In the meantime, short answer: hookers & blow. Twenty-five days straight. :bela:

My guess would be among other things:

- meeting his toh and dealing with the Aiel. Outlining what he has planned for them in the future and getting Aviendha preggers

- visiting the Ogier at the Great Stump

- sneaking into the WT to get the Horn of Valere

- figuring out how to seal the DO

- planning his attack on SG

hi there, scuse me just barging in, but one clue we do get for the 25 days is Bashere saying THEY should has come sooner, so before saving Maradon rand spent a least some of that time with an army that has Bashere and his cavalry, AND Asha'man with Aes sadai. Also, Naef has both the dragon pin and sword... did he have that in Arad Doman? So we know he's been running around and doing something that held up an army. the only thing is iI can't remember if this is all before Rand sends Naef off with the disgising weaves to see what's happening in the tower.

I think I have basically hated Rand since TSR. That has not made reading the subsequent books easy, since I hate the main character, and don't care if he dies, although I know he won't die. With this new Rand, he is a bit more bearable but still annoys me. I realize he has to be this messiah like character. so was Paul ATreides in the Dune novels, but I never hated him like I do Rand. Don't know quite why that is. I suspect like in Dune, Rand will lose his powers after TG, people will think he's dead? and he may go live quietly on a farm with Min or something like that. perhaps I will be surprised.

I think I have basically hated Rand since TSR. That has not made reading the subsequent books easy, since I hate the main character, and don't care if he dies, although I know he won't die. With this new Rand, he is a bit more bearable but still annoys me. I realize he has to be this messiah like character. so was Paul ATreides in the Dune novels, but I never hated him like I do Rand. Don't know quite why that is. I suspect like in Dune, Rand will lose his powers after TG, people will think he's dead? and he may go live quietly on a farm with Min or something like that. perhaps I will be surprised.

After tSR, Rand loses most of what makes him a two river man. And yes, that sucks. He loses humanity so slowly that I thought for a time he had recovered from the box and Dumai's Wells. But no.

From the description we get (and from what I remember from Paul, it's been a long time) I believe Rand had to endure far more hardships than Paul. Maybe that's one reason you dislike him ? the way hardships changed him?

• 3 months later...

I dont' know if he still does or not. I'd kind of guess that, since the TP is from the Dark One, and Rand is basically the anti-thesis of it now, that he doesn't.

he DID have it - that's how he broke free of the male a'dam and killed Semirhage and it was using it that cause the warping of the air around him (I think)

Ah yeah, I'd forgotten that part. Was it confirmed that it was really the True Power? If so, why would the Dark One let him use it, especially considering they'd actually captured him?

LTT:s voice when he took hold of it really leaves no doubt that it was the TP, as well as Semirhages reaction to it.

Rand may also have a peralis-net. If he draws power via an well he does not get seek. Look at the battle in TEoTW.

Incorrect, ten's of male and female channelers died to purify the Saidin found in the Eye, a paralis-net doesn't purify the Power, and so it would still be tainted.

Archived