DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tuon's Foretelling

mikedh

I wish I had my book with me so I could put the exact quotes in here, but I'll try my best without.

I'm looking specifically at the part right after Tuon says her part of the marriage vow and she is explaining to Mat about her damane (Mylen?) that said she would marry a man who fulfilled 3 requirements:

1. Fox that makes the ravens fly

2. Man who remembers Hawkwings face

3. Man of the Red Hand

Mat asks her "Why now? I knew you would marry me but why now?". Tuon then says "You just now fulfilled the second part so I knew it was you". This is where the confusion comes in, all Mat had been doing this entire chapter is talking to Furyk*(sp) Karede about getting her back to safety, how did he fulfill the second part just then?

I wish I had my book with me so I could put the exact quotes in here, but I'll try my best without.

I'm looking specifically at the part right after Tuon says her part of the marriage vow and she is explaining to Mat about her damane (Mylen?) that said she would marry a man who fulfilled 3 requirements:

3. Man of the Red Hand

Mat asks her "Why now? I knew you would marry me but why now?". Tuon then says "You just now fulfilled the second part so I knew it was you". This is where the confusion comes in, all Mat had been doing this entire chapter is talking to Furyk*(sp) Karede about getting her back to safety, how did he fulfill the second part just then?

There's a bit more to the Foretelling than just those three.

"Beware the fox that makes the ravens fly, for he will marry you and carry you away. Beware the man who remembers Hawkwing's face, for he will marry you and set you free. Beware the man of the red hand, for him you will marry and none other."

He kidnapped her, and then set her free. The setting her free bit was the completion of the Foretelling.

I also wish I had the book in front of me to get the quote right.

It's something along the lines of the fox that chases or catches the ravens, then let's her fly after.

It's the fact that he was willing to let her go on the terms of her guaranteed safety that fulfilled the Omen. Once the final Omen was fulfilled, Tuon realized that this was, in fact, the man the damane fortune telling was referring too.

EDIT: beaten by seconds.

3. Man of the Red Hand

'Beware the fox that makes the ravens fly, for he will marry you and carry you away. Beware the man who

remembers Hawkwing's face, for he will marry you and set you free. Beware the man of the red hand, for him you will marry and

none other"

Mat had just agreed to let her go= set her free.

Plus, she had been holding up on the Red Hand thing, if you remember, seeing it on Talamanes confused her.

Set her free was crucial, she was looking for a literal "set free"

but perhaps the "set you free" was metaphorical [as much of prophecy is]

Tuon seems to look for literal in prophecy [Remember her meeting with Rand in TGS?]

But, perhaps she had been 'free' in that for the first time in her life, while travelling with Mat, she could 'let her hair down' (grow it), she got to visit a "Hell", experienced her first Kiss, 9etc0.

when she was with Mat, even though a few knew who she was, many did not, and she had the experience, for the first time in her life, of knowing what it was like to NOT be the DoNM.

that could be very liberating in and of its self-

not living under the strict guidelines that have formed your life, even for a little while.

Tuon may never see life the same again. Or perhaps she will.

She may not have thought of it as liberating, or being set free, in her kidnapping, but I imagine that in several years, when she is an older Empress (may she reign forever) that Fortuona will remember the time in the Travelling show as one of the most adventurous, most exciting, most liberating, times of her life.

ok, thanks for clearing that up... as you can tell by my OP I kind of looked at that Foretelling as having 3 major points when in fact it has 5-6, I took the "capturing" and "setting free" as metaphorical rather than literal, kinda silly of me considering that was the entire reason she was with them.

Archived