DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Nickelodeon announce AVATAR: THE LEGEND OF KORRA

Werthead

AVATAR: THE LEGEND OF KORRA is a sequel series to AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER, the hit animated series.

THE LEGEND OF KORRA picks up seventy years after the events of THE LAST AIRBENDER's final episode and focuses on Korra, a member of the Southern Water Tribe who becomes the Avatar after the death of Aang (the hero of the original series). Korra has already mastered three of the four elements but needs help to master airbending. With Aang as the titular Last Airbender, this is somewhat tricky, so she goes in search of Aang's (and probably Katara's) son Tenzin to get some help. Her quest leads to Republic City, a steampunk-driven metropolis where people from all four nations live together in growing disharmony. The city is crime-ridden and there is a rising tide of hatred against all magic-users.

This sounds like a solid premise to carry the story forwards. The creators have confirmed that Aang will cameo, as Korra can access his memories through her Avatar inheritance (just as Aang could talk to prior Avatars in the original series), and the new series will build on the mythology of the original series insteady of slavishly re-copying it.

No word on if Nickelodeon have put snipers on the gates with orders to shoot to kill if M. Night Shyamalan turns up looking for the movie rights.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, they need to make a really good FPS or RPG type game for Avatar. I think that would be really fun! I haven't played the one on the Wii but it looks kind of dull...

FPS, probably not, but an RPG based on the Avatar lore could be amazing, especially if put into the hands of someone like Bioware. Amazing company based on what they did with the Star Wars mythology.

I also feel compelled to defend Shamalama and his version of Avatar. It was not good, period. However, a lot of the criticisms, such as the hammy acting from the kids, is kind of ridiculous to me. I mean... it is based on an anime aimed towards younger audiences. No one complains about the Avatar voice acting... I'm just saying! At least it was visually pleasing.

Archived