DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Oliver or Noal?

soulwatch5

If you slip in, break in, or B. fire a hole in the side of the tower, will a guide be waiting on the other side to ask you about the agreement?   

Well there were guides waiting at the gates even though it had been years sne ayon used them. Why would guides not be posted near the other entrance?

the question is did they post guides there or can they sense humans kinda like how in tar the heroes can sense people who know they are in tar.

I seem to recall when mat first went in that there was no guide, and after looking around for a bit suddenly there was one there

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another way that Oliver could still enter and save the day and have the numbers still stay at three is if someone dies while inside. Say if Noal Goes in and sometime whilst inside he heroically sacrifices himself to ave Mat and Thom. (and then there were two.) Olver then entering and rejoining them would bring the number of resucers back up to required three.

The three going in will be Mat (Aludra's Fire Sticks, Eye on the Balance), Noal (usually carries several knives, seeks redemption for Jain Farstrider), and Thom (of course music, and many suspect that Moiraine will marry him).  Mat already knows that the prohibition on iron apparently did not include his own steel knives, so the previous idea about Noal carrying iron chain (iron to bind) sounds good.  We have already seen a massive iron chain (two, actually) at the harbors of Tar Valon. 

SPECULATION: Mat would NOT allow Olver to go in, so Mat and Thom and Noal will feel that their party is complete without him.  Moiraine did write that she did not write everything, so Olver sneaking in could easily be part of it.  My guess, Olver is going to be kept back a safe distance and then jump on Wind and outrace the ones who are supposed to watch him.  We already know that Olver has raced Wind and won consistently.

This is a little aside from the topic, but anyone think like me that Olver is Gaidal Cain reborn?

It is said that time is different in Tel'Aran'Riod than in the real world, and Olver appears after Gaidal is gone, he just as Gaidal is an ugly child. He is raised with soldiering all around him.

So to attach this to the thread I'd say it's a pretty good way for Olver to begin as the reincarnation of Gaidal by going with Mat, Thom and Noal into the Tower of Ghenjei.

Sorry to burst your therory but Robert Jordan himself has said in an interview that Olver is NOT Gaidan Cain reborn.  THere are other threadson this topic in the general WOT discussion I believe. I do agree with you that there is eveidnece to support that theory but Since RJ himslef crushed it I guess its dead. Unless he lied to protect the truth.....    but  I doubt it.

We have already seen a massive iron chain (two, actually) at the harbors of Tar Valon. 

those things are huge, you can't carry them.  Anyway they are mostly heart stone, after Egwene and Alanna got through with them.

The reference indicates the methods that blacksmiths in Randland typically use to make different products.  Chains are iron, not steel.  Knives are steel, not iron.  Cast or wrought iron is not the same as carbon steel (no arguments, try Wikipedia for more info).  Many myths and legends draw a distinction between iron and steel and its effect on fairy folk and such; RJ used that distinction.  Note that Mat thinks about his steel knives when asked if he has any iron.

Another way that Oliver could still enter and save the day and have the numbers still stay at three is if someone dies while inside. Say if Noal Goes in and sometime whilst inside he heroically sacrifices himself to ave Mat and Thom. (and then there were two.) Olver then entering and rejoining them would bring the number of resucers back up to required three.

No, you would have three rescuers (one dead) and Olver would make four.

Archived