DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Design of Accepted Dresses

BlueRose

I am curious as to what people think of as the design for the Accepted dresses. I know that the pattern itself would be very simple, likely not very full skirts, probably rectangular construction or something similar to save on cloth. However, I'm not sure how the "bands of colour" at hem and cuff would work.

Any thoughts?

I've always visualised these as a blouse-style top buttoned down the front, with a gathered or pleated skirt formed from a rectangular strip of material, attached to the top at the waist. In my schooldays this style was known as a 'shirt-waister'. I also envisage the 'bands of colour' as horizontal stripes parallel to the skirt hem, and around the wrists like bangles. I'll try to do a simple sketch. Get back to you!

While we're on the subject, I have to say that occasionally the characters' (or RJ's!!) taste in colour makes me cringe. Emeralds with a blue dress? Sapphires with a green gown? Yeugh! (But that's just me perhaps, and I'm very fussy about my greens.  ;)  Turquoise annoys me, it's neither one thing nor the other..)  

Tried to attach, didn't work. Have to go out now so will try again later.

You know, you hear "slipper" used a lot in the series but I always pictured what they wore as a sort of thin/soft shoe. Moiraine looks like she's wearing pajamas with real standard slippers and that's probably how I'm going to picture it every time now.

and what the heck does a 'divided skirt for riding' look like? i kinda imagine it to be like cullotts (sp) but then thats not really a skirt, its just long, loose pants...

i have wondered about what order the stripes would be in too, not sure its mentioned anywhere

and what the heck does a 'divided skirt for riding' look like? i kinda imagine it to be like cullotts (sp) but then thats not really a skirt, its just long, loose pants...

i have wondered about what order the stripes would be in too, not sure its mentioned anywhere

i asked about that divided skirt for riding in the 'ask a simple question thread'. i think someone had a really good answer! but you know what it's already out of mind. i think moiraines pic above is going to stick much longer

i guess i can picture why novices think accepted are so great, those bands of color really stand out

I wondered that also and I think there was a lot of examples of it with google image search.  I guess you could think of those skirts as MC Hammer pants except pulled up so high it looks like you'd be wading water.

Hey are you actually going to make these dresses because I think if you add overalls style butt flaps you could make all the spanking AS do a little more convenient

for some reason i've always pictured the stripes on the dress to be vertical, not horisontal.

like one stripe of every color, reaching from the waist or hip and down to the feet.

of course now i realise that would just look awful

I don't think the order is ever mentioned in the books, but the order depicted in that picture of Moiraine I posted is the correct one. Blue, green, yellow, red, white, gray, and brown.

I know it is accurate because I remember the argument over it when I was consulting on the early issues of "New Spring". We saw that picture and we were all "That's cool and all, but the stripes are in the wrong order. We don't know all of them, but Red and Blue need to be as far away from each other as possible." And the Dabels were all "Oh no, we asked Jordan and this is the order he gave." Blue is always at the top and Brown is always at the bottom.

I always pictured them as squares of colour around the bottom, one after the other around the dress not a full ring around the dress for each colour making its way down, but I don't know why. I don't think I had anything to base that on other than the thought of it being one solid band of all the Ajahs on the same level so there wasn't like an implied hierarchy. Though again, just how I pictured it and I didn't have anything else to go on.

Archived