DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What do you think would happen when two people bond each other?

I have also thought of this, apart from being a good idea to nullify the "advantage" of the "bonder" over the "bondee" such as the ability to compulse, I would say it would just strengthen the bond, like two ropes instead of one.

I dont think anything that exciting would happen, just a stronger, equal bond.

They already can sense emotions and distance. I think it would be awesome if it was strengthened to the point where they could speak with each other through the bond no matter what distance and no matter if that person has been cut off from the source. And to amplify the sense of distance, perhaps they would be able to sense the others movements, or even sense in some way what the other is seeing.

Why would they repel? Every marvel from the AoL were made with men and women together. It would be bad for them if they repelled each other like that (I already imagine the Whitebrigde collapsing in the Manetherendrelle" :) )

No it's the way it works (flows of spirit) that it could enables possible reinforcing of the weave. But I think it would have to make it circular and not linear, in order to duplicate the effect on both part. The woman has to bond him, and as Elayne did with Min, mirror the bond to make it the other way too, and the same with saidin. Be bonded by the man, and them he duplicates it to touch the woman.

But I also wanted to add that the bonding men did to Toveine Gazal and the other sisters is not the same as Warder Bond. We had no proof of physical increase, sharper senses, agility and energy from the bonded sisters. Just an extraordinary useful obedience that I wish I could use if I ever get married :D

Recall that Rand used the mutual repulsion between saidin and saidar  to remove the Dark One's taint on saidin. During the AoL, men and women worked together linked, as Rand and Nynaeve did during the cleansing. Something of the sort would be needed to make a duplex bond work.

(I'm married and I could do with some of that myself..  :P   ;)  )

Intricately woven threads of spirit from both flows of saidin and saidar from a linked couple of channeler could indeed do well with my way of thinking it working ^^

But I think the repelling at the Cleansing was more the fact that it was raw power (or I forget... but I think it was, and maybe there is a difference). And so, Rand and Nynaeve were linked, so it is as the channelers from the AoL...

Either the repulsion is just that they don't mix together.

If they were repelling, the ward on Callandor would be as flawed as the guarded thing :D But Egwene and Rand checked the ward, and neither found holes in it. Repemling forces, as two magnets, won't touch, even when pressed hard between the hole serie in hardcover-books(well, they would, but won't stay without moving a little...)

They already can sense emotions and distance. I think it would be awesome if it was strengthened to the point where they could speak with each other through the bond no matter what distance and no matter if that person has been cut off from the source. And to amplify the sense of distance, perhaps they would be able to sense the others movements, or even sense in some way what the other is seeing.

See I think Rand Mat and Perrin could think of each other at the same time and communicate, although maybe only gesturing, but Ive been waiting to see them see each other at the same time. Rand should learn how to have his face float in the other twos sight. Rand and Moridin have been aware of each other with the channeling visions.

I think the two seperate bonds would be possible. Maybe the Aes Sedai would be able to develop different bonds like the Ashaman. I dont think communication would be possible, but the emotion side would likely be exaggerated in some ways as others have said. But thinking about it the Aes Sedai would gain the endurance buff from the saidin bond I think. There needs to be an example of a Green Ajah being a Warder, and the Ashaman the leader. Dont let me down Logain!

One thing I also wonder about... if Rand crossed balefires with Alivia would he gain access to saidar?

Re-read the relevant chapter in WH:With the Choedan Kal. It gives a good description of the interaction between the two halves of the OP, and actually says at one point that it is that very repulsion, coupled with touching the opposite-tainted SL, which does the cleansing.

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/books/wh/ch35.html

That was one situation, and the two halves were used in a way that no one expected themt o be able to be used, even the voice in Rand's hand. If you remember the description of other combined weaves, you will recall something different.  Remember when Nynaeve (or maybe Egwene, forget who exactly) came across the original Warding around the sword in the Stone of Tear? She encountered barriers that she could sense (Saidar) and those she couldn't (Sadin) and no indication that they were repelling or righting each other.  Equally, there has been no mention of that from the PoV's of women who were leading the circles at the Clensing.

I am not saying that, in its raw natural state that the two do not repulse each other, but they also work together. There would be no balance if they simple repulsed.

My thoughts on dual-bonding is that, unless the weaves were altered it would either have an odd and unexpected effect (as when Elayne bonded a female), a nullifying effect (kind of short circuiting the weaves), or something harmful.  Elayne is pretty crafty, I bet she could come up with something.

I am not saying that, in its raw natural state that the two do not repulse each other, but they also work together. There would be no balance if they simple repulsed.

Agreed:

"The driving force of the universe, which turns the Wheel of Time. It is divided into a male half (saidin) and a female half (saidar), which work at the same time with and against each other. Only a man can draw on saidin, only a woman on saidar." 

and they are seen to work together on a number of occasions: the ones you mentioned, and the Bowl of the Winds, and no doubt others. The circles are a special case, as the individuals are linked. The Warder bond seems a bit different from linking. Possibly the man and woman would need to link fist, then bond.

@talligan: I prefer ionic, myself..  ;)

Archived