DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Folk Dance (by mottlee)

Hi folks. We've had a complaint from the rights holder of the article that Mottlee reposted here without permission or attribution. We take copyright very seriously at Dragonmount and have removed the article at the request of it's owners. If you'd like to view the article, you can find it here: http://fairshare.attributor.com/guardian/sourcedetails?key=77817730e345ecf0bdf857d60a2d84d0

Thanks!

hmm Motts I know of a sword dance thats done by women its a harvest dance or fetility dance of some kind. sometimes done by one woman but can be done by more*the one performed by one woman is very sexy fyi*

i can't rememeber where i learned it from did you by any chance come across info on that?

I have heard about harvest dances. They are folk dances done on harvest.

Here is a picture of Bihu dance done on Bihu festival in Assam in India.

1412713582_5d2a0f0ff5.jpg

sorry but i can't help myself in this field.

Female sword dancing, or Raks al sayf, was not widespread in the Middle East. Men in Egypt performed a dance called el ard, a martial arts dance involving upraised swords, but women were not widely known to use swords as props during their dancing in public. However, paintings and engravings of the French artist Jean-Léon Gérôme (who visited Egypt in the 18th century) show sword dancers balancing sabers on their head. Sword dancing, (Raqs al Saïf) is widespread in Turkey, Pakistan-India and Iran.

Women’s sword dancing evolved out of sword fighting between men in Egypt and Turkey. There was even a time when sword dancing was banned by the Sultan during Ottoman rule, as it was believed that dancers who took a sword from a soldier and pretended to “kill” him at the end of the performance collected the swords to begin a resistance against the army. These swords were never returned.

• 1 year later...

Archived