DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Signing Q&A From Tor.com

Luckers

Two posters recently put up signing Q&A reports on Tor.com.

Forkroot's Questions.

1. My first question pertained to whether there was a mistake in the text when Joline is negotiating horse counts with Mat - did she overlook her warders? BWS looked surprised and said that if indeed the text didn't account for them that it was a mistake as Joline would not have forgotten them.

2. My second question was if any of the major Aiel characters was an unexposed Darkfriend. This got RAFO'd right away, so draw your own conclusions.

Samadai's Questions

1. One question he took that I hadn't yet seen was, Was Masema just having visions or was someone actually there with him? BWS answered Masema is crazy, but he is not deluded about someone being there.

2. I then asked has Demandreds alter ego been seen since CoT? He said that is a good question, but I'm not going to answer it.

3. I actually asked this next question after the signing but since it is relevant to this question I am putting it here. I asked has Demandreds alter ego been mentioned in the books but not seen? He gave me a very guarded look and said, That is a very well though out question, paused for a moment, and said " there have been to few characters introduced in the last few books for me to answer that. Speculators unite.

4. Master al'Thor wanted me to ask. Have the effects of the Bowl of Winds been fully realized? Yes, but the weather patterns are so huge that it will still take a long time to normalize everything.

5. Man o Manetheren wanted me ask. Will we hear anything more about Shara or the Land of Madmen? That was our first RAFO

6. Amalisa had me ask. Has Egwenes dream of having her head on a block and an axe falling come true? Brandon answered, It has not she is still in danger of that happening. Then he Looked at us and said, " it may, or may not also have something to do with Mins vision of Gawyn either saving or killing Egwene. Big smile on his face for that one.

Great job Amalisa, you receiced the correct Question bonus.

7. RobMRobM had me ask 3 questions. Will we find out where Morgase learned the 2 rivers speech? Will Tam end up with a wife? Was Kari AL'Thor related to Morgase?

RobM you get the triple RAFO award

8. Nightbaron had 3 questions as well. Is Shara or the Land of Madmen involved in the last battle? 5th RAFO

9. Was Moridin aware of Shaidar Harans plans with Semirhage? His answer was, word for word. The Dark One trusts Moridin more than any other Forsaken.

10. NB's last question was. Is the big clue no one is talking about in books 4 thru 6 or books 4 and 6? He answered "It is in the section of books 4 thru 6, but not necesarily in all of them. It could be only in 1 of them 2 of them or all 3.

11. TheWindRose asked. Are there any forsaken around Elayne? Brandon paused for a moment, then said. So many people are trying to figure out where Demandred is, I am not sure I can answer that. Forkroot and I both said no not Demandred, we were talking Cyndane or Moghedian. Then we said for example some postulate that Sylvaese is Cyndane. he said "no, sylvaese is not a forsaken and was never intended to be.

12. TheWindRose next question was. If the SAS and TAS delegations to the Black tower will be 13x13'd? and so we had our 6th RAFO.

13. SteelBlaidd asked 2 questions. Did RJ leave notes on records of how he used symbols in the WoT, ex. colors White meaning life, black meaning death and the Dark One? "He left extensive notes that we would have to wait for the encyclopedia that Maria is going to put out after the books are finished.

14. His other question was. Did Egwene squeeze Moggy for info on the Dream World? That was our First MAFO( Maria And Find Out).

He also said that Egwene is a powerful dreamer and it seems unlikely that she didn't squeeze her for the info.

15. Freelancer asked. Did Moridin sense when Rand Channeled the True Power through him? Our 7th RAFO. But he did say. "We don't know if that is what happened or not and that might or might not have been Moridins plan all along. we don't have enough info to decide that yet.

16. DId Shaidar Haran know Moridin had forbidden the forsaken from rescuing Semirhage? Yes he did, no further comment.

17. Moridin vs. Shaidar Haran, who is the boss? He again stated that Moridin is the Forsaken the DO trusts the most and not enough info is known about SH.

18. The last question I asked was. Will Elaida be able to withhold traveling from the Seanchan? He gave us another look, and with a smirk said," I will say that is going to be an onscreen RAFO." Right after saying that he said. "Let me ask you this, Do any of you believe Elaida has the will to resist the A'dam? We all said No right away, he gave us a smirk and shrugged his arms. Now although that wasn't a definitive statement, done with hisbody language it damn near locked it up.

9. Was Moridin aware of Shaidar Harans plans with Semirhage? His answer was, word for word. The Dark One trusts Moridin more than any other Forsaken.

16. DId Shaidar Haran know Moridin had forbidden the forsaken from rescuing Semirhage? Yes he did, no further comment.

17. Moridin vs. Shaidar Haran, who is the boss? He again stated that Moridin is the Forsaken the DO trusts the most and not enough info is known about SH.

Oh this is great to know, especially question 16. It means I have to rethink a part of a theory I'm coming up with, but regardless this is huge and makes me happy.

I know, right. If only he could have said this a month ago and saved me that hour and a half writing it out.

I'm a sad panda.

Well Luckers from that Q&A I gathered that he was WAY more guarded about the possibly identity of Demandreds alter ego. Maybe you should focus on him because I feel like Brandon was guarding that we may have seen or heard of the person in KoD or tGS.

Nice bit about Gawyn and Eladia, I know most assume that Eladia will give info of the Traveling to the Seachan but it'd be nice to see her redeem her self somehow nice to know we are going to see it on screen, or page rather.

Seems like the part answered about Gawyn will really destroy, as if it wasn't already, Dida's theory he's going to be sticking around Egwene to full fill the prophecy and no time to bother with Rand it seems.

I don't think so. My belief is that Demandred has no alter ego, and has his fingers in a few pies, and that his 'rule' which was secured was control of the Shadowspawn following the subversion of some to attack Algarin's manor. As such I suspect his major role will be the Shadow Coast assault.

My guess is Brandon's being guarded because he knows the old theories about Demandred resulting from him watching Elayne study the Lion Throne in TAR, and that whole deal about the Taraboner torturer. I suspect he didn't know there were detailed theories about Sylvase, or else he wouldn't have so readily dismissed it.

Still, he did. So good sneaky work on behalf of Samadai.

I think it's possible he posed as Rand to Masema, if he's influenced the Borderlanders at all, and if he's got things going on in Murandy. His rule being secure could be Murandy for all we know, it's not something to discount yet.

Why would he refrain from sinking theories? RJ never did when it came to Taimandred and other theories he felt were completely wrong like the whole Moridin kidnapped Asmo because "Death took him".

Why would he refrain from sinking theories? RJ never did when it came to Taimandred and other theories he felt were completely wrong like the whole Moridin kidnapped Asmo because "Death took him".

Difference is that it is RJs story, and he had full freedom to reveal, as well as debunk whatever he wanted. Brandon does not have that freedom, his contract says that he can not reveal too much (judging by his answers a Q&As, he is not allowed to reval anything plot related). And since sometimes debunking a theory might accidently lead to something else being revealed, he must e extremely careful.

I don't see how debunking the Slyvase theory though would reveal anything, it doesn't even confirm that Lanfear or Moggy are not in Caemlyn. Just that Slyvase isn't one of them. He does seem in general careful but seemed more focused on Demandred then anyone else. He should know by now that Taimandred is debunked and who Demandred is posing as if he is at all.

He had no problem telling us to expect a scene with Elaidia who may or may not give up the secret of Traveling, sounds like plot spoilers to me because I wasn't expecting to see or hear of her again.

I think it's possible he posed as Rand to Masema, if he's influenced the Borderlanders at all, and if he's got things going on in Murandy. His rule being secure could be Murandy for all we know, it's not something to discount yet.

Who said I discount it. I think Murandy is very much something that would interest him--their military fierceness is well stated, and due to their contentions they represent the best trained army south of the Borderlands. Definately something Demandred would have his fingers in.

But just fingers.

The danger of the Borderlanders likely comes from the Aes Sedai, though he may be commanding them. Masema is far more likely Moridin or Moghedian than Demandred.

But yes, his rule is something different.

Why would he refrain from sinking theories?

Contractual limitations. Even if we couldn't assume that to be true, he's made clear that it is.

He is contractually bound in a way RJ was not. That he revealed this merely shows that he wasn't aware the Sylvase Theory was a detailed theory.

I don't see how debunking the Slyvase theory though would reveal anything

It would reveal that Sylvase is not Cyndane. Brandon has shown that disproving false theories is something he is not allowed to do, hence that he did dispel this theory shows that he wasn't aware of the detail of the theory.

I know, right. If only he could have said this a month ago and saved me that hour and a half writing it out.

I'm a sad panda.

What's funny is that he said it well over a month ago, and we just missed it.  :D  But Samadai graciously brought those reports to my attention (and when you posted it, one of your members emailed me).  I realize now I should have added the Sylvase one to the Lanfear/Cyndane category; it didn't occur to me when I added the interviews (which is probably why the latter person emailed me, come to think of it).

That's interesting about Shaidar Haran and Moridin. If they planned for Rand to touch the True Power it would fit pretty closely with one of the earliest forsaken plans to get him to channel in The Great Hunt.

Wait, what plan was this? Can someone remind me? or a thread link will be fine.

THANKS!!!

That's interesting about Shaidar Haran and Moridin. If they planned for Rand to touch the True Power it would fit pretty closely with one of the earliest forsaken plans to get him to channel in The Great Hunt.

THANKS!!!

Perhaps Lanfear and the Portal Stone?  He slept by the Stone, so there is an implication that Lanfear took him there so that he would have to channel, first to save her from the grolm (when he surprised her with his skill with the bow, she apparently used the Power to attract even more, pushing him toward the Stone).  If using a Portal Stone only requires Spirit, then Rand might have done it in his sleep, but it seems unlikely.

11. TheWindRose asked. Are there any forsaken around Elayne? Brandon paused for a moment, then said. So many people are trying to figure out where Demandred is, I am not sure I can answer that. Forkroot and I both said no not Demandred, we were talking Cyndane or Moghedian. Then we said for example some postulate that Sylvaese is Cyndane. he said "no, sylvaese is not a forsaken and was never intended to be.

Wow, huge answer, biggest spoiler in years. Actually, I'm kind of bummed to read it. :-\ That's something that should definitely have been RAFO'd

Wow, huge answer, biggest spoiler in years. Actually, I'm kind of bummed to read it. :-\ That's something that should definitely have been RAFO'd

Actually I'm glad to know because I would have been annoyed as hell if nothing came of it. RAFO to me means there IS something to it and he doesn't want to spoil it. If there is NO plot to be spoiled then might as well let us stop going on about it. I rather not go down a dead end street thank you very much.

THANKS!!!

Perhaps Lanfear and the Portal Stone?  He slept by the Stone, so there is an implication that Lanfear took him there so that he would have to channel, first to save her from the grolm (when he surprised her with his skill with the bow, she apparently used the Power to attract even more, pushing him toward the Stone).  If using a Portal Stone only requires Spirit, then Rand might have done it in his sleep, but it seems unlikely.

Lanfear and Ishamael both worked on Rand to push him towards channeling in the other world. I believe Ishamael was pushing him in The Eye of the World but I don't remember now. Their objective during the portal stone scene was definitely to push him to channel, though.

I was comparing the two because despite the different powers they wanted him to use (assuming I'm even right with the Moridin/SH plot), by channeling either one it would progress his madness and put a possible tie on him. At this time Ishamael still believed that Rand could be turned and he was offered the Dark One's protection from the taint so that he could learn to channel safely.

I'm a sad panda.

Sad koala, surely?

Koala's are mean savage little bears that the Media has made out to be cute and cuddly little loveable teddy bears.

Of course he trusts Moridin the most!  If Moridin wore streith, it would always be trust: because trust is the color of death.

I wonder if the Dark One actually does trust Moridin, though... it seems the Father of Lies wouldn't be much for trusting.  If he actually does, though, then I'll chalk that up as another indication that Moridin might change sides...

I'm a sad panda.

Sad koala, surely?

Nope. Koala's sound like constipated pigs.

by channeling either one it would progress his madness and put a possible tie on him.

That was my first thought as well, but we have to be careful with that. A Cour'souvra would be a much more potent tie, don't you think? We know it's not Rand being broken that the DO tried to prevent, due to Moridin's instructions for Graendal. So why give up on the near-certainty that Rand would be delivered to SG in favor of having him channel the TP? That's what we ought to ask ourselves, if we want to support the "that-was-their-plan-all-along" theory.

by channeling either one it would progress his madness and put a possible tie on him.

That was my first thought as well, but we have to be careful with that. A Cour'souvra would be a much more potent tie, don't you think? We know it's not Rand being broken that the DO tried to prevent, due to Moridin's instructions for Graendal. So why give up on the near-certainty that Rand would be delivered to SG in favor of having him channel the TP? That's what we ought to ask ourselves, if we want to support the "that-was-their-plan-all-along" theory.

Maybe it all boils down to what Verin says: that the Dark One is not fighting this battle the way that Rand thinks he is, and that the battle can't really be fought the way that Rand thinks.  There's likely something larger at play that is going to be important... who knows, maybe it will all boil down to Rand's mental state in the end.

Again, if that were the case (and I'm not saying it's not), how does making him channel TP more helpful than having him kill Min with his own hands? I can't see him coming back from something like that; can you? So it can't just be how mentally stable he is.

Archived