DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What where your thoughts when you started your first re-read?

rizman

Shryke, et al- Tom was ready to kill the King and Lord Barthanes but he didn't. he was talked out of it by the inn keeper. The Barthanes thing happened before knowing about the knig. The assasin that he spoke to reported Bart's name, innkeeper came in and told him that Bart was dead. The next day we hear reports that the king is dead found Ripped limb from limb in his bedroom ya, Tom might be strong but to do something that a Trolloc has troubble doing? Also right after the murder of Dena he left Carahien. The idea that tome killed the king comes from the RPG. I got the impression that he left to join back up with Rand but got there too late so he just went to the next logical place he could meet up with him TV, where he meets up with Mat instead.

now on the topic of who did kill the king his murder is very similar to that of Queen Tylin, who was also found ripped limb from limb in her bedroom, this being done by the Gholam, also rember that the king was surounded by gaurds so a normal man comming in the commit murder would find his task nigh on impossible.

remember the RPG RJ only had minimal amout of influence in. Wizards of the coast does screw up fairly often. lol

Shryke, et al- Tom was ready to kill the King and Lord Barthanes but he didn't. he was talked out of it by the inn keeper. The Barthanes thing happened before knowing about the knig. The assasin that he spoke to reported Bart's name, innkeeper came in and told him that Bart was dead. The next day we hear reports that the king is dead found Ripped limb from limb in his bedroom ya, Tom might be strong but to do something that a Trolloc has troubble doing? Also right after the murder of Dena he left Carahien. The idea that tome killed the king comes from the RPG. I got the impression that he left to join back up with Rand but got there too late so he just went to the next logical place he could meet up with him TV, where he meets up with Mat instead.

now on the topic of who did kill the king his murder is very similar to that of Queen Tylin, who was also found ripped limb from limb in her bedroom, this being done by the Gholam, also rember that the king was surounded by gaurds so a normal man comming in the commit murder would find his task nigh on impossible.

remember the RPG RJ only had minimal amout of influence in. Wizards of the coast does screw up fairly often. lol

No, you're getting this wrong. The assassin who was sent to kill Thom was sent by King Galldrin. We know this because Zera says that the men worked for Galldrin, not Barthanes. He claims to have been sent by Barthanes, but that's because Galldrin wants Thom to kill Barthanes if he fails at killing Thom.

Zera fails at talking Thom out of killing Barthanes and Galldrin. But she tells Thom that Barthanes had been torn apart the night before by something. This was possibly a Gholam, or other shadowspawn.

Thom then leaves the inn thinking he still has businesses. This is when he goes and kills King Galldrin. Not Barthanes, who's already been torn apart. Galldrin, who hasn't been. We don't know how he kills Galldrin, only that he does.

He then leaves Carhien and heads to Tar Valon where he meets Mat.

This has nothing to do with the RPG. It's in the books. TGH chapters 34 and 38, and TDR chapter 31.

Yes you are right at that the king did send, but as i said the assassin that he talked to stated that they were from Bart. It has never been proved that thom did kill the king only speculation and inuindo.

also yes from the excitemt of tonight i got bart and the king deaths mixed up, lol.

I still hold that thom didn't kill the king, without the discription of his death just the confermation that he was dead, one could also speculate that the person( or thing) that killed Bart also killed the king.

I'm doing my first re-read and I love it how things make more sense like you said.

Also I was amazed that Vandene and Adeleas appeared in the second book, I hadn't remembered their names!

Or the part how Domon and Egeanin met :D

Yes you are right at that the king did send, but as i said the assassin that he talked to stated that they were from Bart. It has never been proved that thom did kill the king only speculation and inuindo.

also yes from the excitemt of tonight i got bart and the king deaths mixed up, lol.

I still hold that thom didn't kill the king, without the discription of his death just the confermation that he was dead, one could also speculate that the person( or thing) that killed Bart also killed the king.

It's proven in The Dragon Reborn when Mat meets up with Thom again. Mat asks why Thom left Cairhien and Thom replies, "Such trouble it causes killing a man, even when he deserves killing." And the two assassins were the King's men. The innkeeper told Thom that the two men were actually Galldrian's and then Thom told her not to worry, a Gleeman couldn't hurt anyone. That's more than just suggestive.

• 2 weeks later...

My first re-read, the thing I remember most is remembering things that never happened, or not the way I remember lol.  I remembered a big fight with Rand rallying the ashaman at the BT.  That never happened, probably mistaking it with tear.  I remember the Siun and General Bryne (SP?) professing their love, this before KoD, that didn't happen untill TGS.  Theres more, some of it happened in TGS.  Maybe I can read the pattern?  lol

But the biggest thing is how much I didn't notice.  The foretellings, things in book one that come to play so much later.  Its like, Did Jordan really have all this in his head?  Did it spring from questions by fans that made his creative part kick in when he gave an answer made up on the fly, and developed the story more?  Even in EoTW, had it been a 1 or 3 book series, the tower of the finn that domon noticed would never have come in to play.  I'm on my 3rd re-read now, and using the WoT encyclapedia, its amasing what all I have missed in two reads. 

I caught a lot more in my first reread, but I guess I cheated a bit because I skipped over all of my known-boring parts. Granted, I was younger and didn't have tolerance or understanding quite of the hidden treasures those "boring parts" held, but even so... it's always nice to find how often things reference back, or are thrown back in. An example of a line I LOVE, in tSR: "All will be well, all will be well, and all manner of things will be well." This is repeated twice in tSR. Also, this time, my last reread, I took notes.  8) lol. Annotating for school is so dull, but WOT-annotations are informative!

Archived