DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chronicles of Riddick 3

Krakalakachkn

I am very excited.  I liked Pitch Black and really liked Chronicles of Riddick (but not the title).

Vin Diesel is officially set to star in and produce a third film featuring his famed anti-hero character Riddick for Universal Pictures and Lionsgate reports Variety.

"Pitch Black" and "The Chronicles of Riddick" writer/director David Twohy will helm from his own screenplay. The story will avoid the large scale space opera of 'Chronicles' in favour of a dark, character-driven thriller more along "Pitch Black" lines.

Production is not expected to get underway until after Diesel finishes work on "Fast Five", the fifth film in the "Fast and Furious" franchise.

Late last week we heard that Vin Diesel and writer/director David Twohy were re-teaming for a third sci-fi film featuring Diesel's famed character Riddick. Today some story details have emerged from a sales run at the European Film Market.

As reported before, the film is ditching the larger space opera style of the previous film in favour of a more horror-toned, character-driven survival drama along the lines of the first film "Pitch Black".

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the story starts with Riddick left for dead on a barren alien planet and must deal with two groups of bounty hunters on rockets, not to mention the local hostile wildlife including three-legged bisons and mud demons.

The end of the last film had Riddick essentially left in charge of the Necromonger army and its quest to find the Underverse. It's unclear if any mention will be made at all to events in that film (if they are it'll likely be a few quick throwaway lines).

Diesel revealed the other week that some of the shooting would take place in the White Desert in Farafra, Egypt likely towards the end of the year. The previous films were shot predominantly in South Australia and Vancouver respectively.

• 1 month later...

This now looks like pure awesome, minus the title.

Coming Attractions has posted up a script review of the third "Riddick" feature which is currently in early pre-production.

Going back to the lower-cost, hard R-rated edge of the original "Pitch Black" rather than the space opera PG-13 antics of "The Chronicles of Riddick", the project is currently titled "The Chronicles of Riddick: Dead Man Stalking".

Picking up where 'Chronicles' left off, David Twohy's script has the anti-hero no longer wishing to be the Necromonger's Lord Marshal and making a deal with Lord Vaako to hand the position over to him in exchange for being returned to Furya.

Things turn to hell though with Riddick left for dead on a harsh planet with three moons, populated with nasty creatures like trisons and mud demons, and being hunted by two shipfuls of mercenaries.

Visions of a woman haunt him, while the character comes to realise that the only way to survive is to drop the more civilised traits he's picked up in recent films and return to his merciless hunter origins.

• 4 weeks later...

Basic synopsis of the film

ShockTillYouDrop has posted the purported official synopsis for sci-fi actioneer "Riddick", the third film to feature Vin Diesel's anti-hero. Here's the storyline for your perusal:

"Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead on a desolate planet, Riddick (Diesel) fights for survival against alien predators and becomes more powerful and dangerous than ever before.

Soon bounty hunters from throughout the galaxy descend on Riddick only to find themselves pawns in his greater scheme for revenge.

With his enemies right where he wants them, Riddick unleashes a vicious attack of vengeance before returning to his home planet of Furya to save it from destruction."

Shooting on the film kick off later this year once Diesel wraps "Fast Five".

• 9 months later...

Vin Diesel has done a brief video update his official Facebook page with a new video in which he and director David Twohy talk about the proposed third film featuring Diesel's famed anti-hero character Riddick.

Twohy says the film be more along the lines of the first film "Pitch Black" than the second "The Chronicles of Riddick" as the budget is obviously a smaller scale like 'Black'.

Part of the reason for that is they want to maintain the R-rating that 'Black' had in this one. Keeping that higher rating is a "big deal" they want to achieve "at any cost". The plan is to shoot it lean, quickly and they joked that it does feature "seductions".

At last report the plot has Riddick left for dead on a desolate planet fighting for survival against not just alien predators but bounty hunters, yet this chess game is all part of his plan to return to Furya and save it from destruction.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

According to Bloody Disgusting, Karl Urban will reportedly reprise his role of Lord Vaako in the upcoming third Riddick film which they call "The Chronicles of Riddick: Dead Man Stalking" at Universal Pictures.

Urban starred in 2004's "The Chronicles of Riddick" as the character who, with much pushing from his wife (Thandie Newton), plotted to kill his commander - the Necromonger Lord Marshal (Colm Feore).

The R-rated sequel is to be shot in Canada, but no specific date has yet been set. David Twohy directs from his own script.

Pitch Black was decent, but The Chronicles of Riddick was superb. They're two different genres, IMO. Pitch Black being more of a horror movie, and Chroicles being an Epic Fantasy/SciFi. And after seeing Pitch Black, I was expecting something totally different when I saw Chronicles, and had very low expectations. And these low expectations might be what helped push Chronicles over the top for me. I'd rank it one of my 10 favorite movies of all time. The movie is just great. Period.

With that said I'd be hyped to see a third installment. I dont see how it could be as good as Chronicles, and I really woudlnt be interested in another Pitch Black type film, but if the "wild animals" on the planet are something far cooler, and more intelligent that those bat things, then it could work.

Vin's getting old, though. I dont know if he can keep pulling off the "beast-mode" role he did in Chronicles. We'll have to see.

Riddick is definately one of the all time movie badasses.

Big fan of Chronicles but the plots above leave me with questions.

1. Didn't the Supreme Commander destroy Furya to avoid the prophesy coming true? I mean that is how the other Furian got enslaved.

2. Can you just hand over the top position? Necromongers believe you keep what you kill. I would think the only way to get the top position would be to kill Riddick. And sending him to a desolate planet to die doesn't count!!!!

3. Does anyone else want to kick the working title in the face? Might as well be "Chronicles of Riddick: Riddick Goes to White Castle".

1. I'm not sure he destroyed the planet (?), but he definitely destroyed all the inhabitants.

2. Yeah, that part makes no sense. At the end we see Vago bowing along with everybody else and suddenly we're supposed to accept that Riddick has been...banished?

3. One of the worst titles I've ever heard. I mean, I seriously can't believe that title got the green light.

That makes no sense. You have a whole army and a giant weapon that decimates planets. You hop around the universe converting people and destroying their planets... but the one planet that has the race of people you fear most is a planet you leave alone, but kill everyone? How do you know you killed every single person on the planet? Why would you chance that a few inhabitants might be in hiding? Yeah I would think you would destroy the planet.

• 4 weeks later...

DAMMIT!

Production on "Riddick", the third instalment in the sci-fi series featuring Vin Diesel's anti-hero, has been shut down due to "serious cash flow issues" reports TMZ.

Michel Trudel, the owner of the Montreal studio where the new movie is being shot, says everyone on the set had to be kicked off because Diesel's One Race Films production company failed to pay up on time.

Similarly, several members of the crew have reportedly not been paid in over two weeks and "are very concerned about getting their money".

Yet Trudel says he's "confident the situation will be resolved soon" and production is expected to resume once these financial difficulties are worked out.

• 2 months later...
Katee Sackhoff ("Battlestar Galactica") and Jordi Molla ("Colombiana") have both been added to the cast of David Twohy's currently in production "Riddick", the third feature film to star Vin Diesel's eponymous anti-hero according to Deadline and Variety.

Sackhoff is in final negotiations to play Dahl, a Nordic mercenary tasked with tracking down Riddick. Molla would play Santana, a leader of an eight-man crew of bounty hunters bent on killing Riddick.

Picking up where 'Chronicles' left off, Twohy's script has the Furyan left for dead on a harsh planet with three moons, populated with nasty creatures like trisons and mud demons, and being hunted by at least two shipfuls of mercenaries.

As previously reported, Karl Urban is said to be reprising his role as Lord Vaako from the previous film.

• 1 year later...

Archived