DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So I just got into this series.

Deap

I've been reading a lot lately and for my birthday this last weekend I asked my Father for only a book. When he asked which, I told him to choose. He brought home The Eye Of The World. Needless to say I started in right away and as of last night I am officially one book in to this 13 or 14 book series.

It was fantastic and I plan on picking up the second book tomorrow.

I have a few questions though. No complaints. Just questions.

The cords that are attatched to himself, the Forsaken and Ba'alzamon etc etc. Those are the cords that follow a person through their life that make up the pattern corrrect? (That's what I gathered but to my knowledge it was never really clearly stated) It reminded me of Neo in the Matrix when he finally realized he was the one. Then he finally started seeing lines of code in the 'fake' world, just as Rand saw the cord that follows individuals and metaphorically weaves their way in the pattern of the age.

Why was Rand so belittled into thinking that he did nothing? (At the end of book one) Not only by himself but by Moiraine and the others?

I'll add some more questions as this thread developes. =D

• 4 weeks later...

The cords that are attatched to himself, the Forsaken and Ba'alzamon etc etc. Those are the cords that follow a person through their life that make up the pattern corrrect? (That's what I gathered but to my knowledge it was never really clearly stated) It reminded me of Neo in the Matrix when he finally realized he was the one. Then he finally started seeing lines of code in the 'fake' world, just as Rand saw the cord that follows individuals and metaphorically weaves their way in the pattern of the age.

No, they are something quite different. You will learn more about what they are for in later books.

Why was Rand so belittled into thinking that he did nothing? (At the end of book one) Not only by himself but by Moiraine and the others?

Because Rand believed he had killed he Dark One, and thus won the Last battle. Since there are 13 books after TEOTW, he was clearly quite wrong about that assumption.

Because Rand believed he had killed he Dark One, and thus won the Last battle. Since there are 13 books after TEOTW, he was clearly quite wrong about that assumption.

I had a double take when I read that, then I remembered that 2 haven't been published yet. :D ;D

He also channeled to do it.  I don't remember exactly how big a thing it was in book 1, but a man channeling is generally a very bad thing.  When Rand very clearly did just that, he was in denial about actually channeling, and the rest were trying to tell him that everything was going to be fine, that he wasn't going to be gentled (less pleasant than it sounds), and that he wasn't going crazy, since the Dragon Reborn kinda needs to channel, and maintain some semblance of sanity.

I could go more into this, but it would give away some major plot points in later books.  Glad you're enjoying the books!

Few people here will answer those questions until you have read all the books.
Fortunately for Deap, there are a few who are actually willing to be helpful.

This isn't the non-spoiler board, but a bit of protocol should be followed.  There's a direct answer for that specific question in a later book, and I prefer to figure things out at the same time as the characters in the series.  He had a question because he assumed he's supposed to know based on what he's already read.

It should be enough to know that you'll have a conclusive answer to this after reading books 3 and 4.

Archived