DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who do you think would be the best developer for a wheel of time game?

Dagon Thyne

Ok, I'm pretty sure EA has the WOT game rights, so whichever moron signed it over to them should be tar feathered then ripped into tiny peices and pissed on.  Think I'm being mean?  I gor one thing to say.  Lord of the Rings.  EA took everything that was magical about the series, flushed it down the toilet, and turned it into a mediocre hack and slash.  They will ruin WOT the same way.  There are plenty of other companies that could do Robert Jordan's masterpiece justice. 

Bethesda is my choice.  They could make the vast landscape and cities and people that make up the wheel of time.  The magic systems from Oblivion is perfect for the one power and Bethesda is very good at writing epic scripts for games. 

The only thing is, should the game follow the books?  or should they take place in another time?  It could take place after the last battle and the player is a soldier who is helping kill off the trollocs that survived.  It could even take place in Artur Hawkwing's time.  The writers would be able to take liberties with the storylines since few or no details are known about these times. 

I haven't played any Bethesda games, so I don't have any opinion on them. My choice would be Bioware, because they make fantastic RPG's. Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, Dragon Age ... I'm sure they would make a great WoT-game.

And I would hate it if the game was about Tarmon Gai'don. What's exciting about that? We already know the series and what happens. I don't want to play Nynaeve or Egwene - and definitely not Rand.

I'd prefer if the game was set somewhere in ages past, either sometime after the Trolloc Wars or more recently, but before any of the characters (except perhaps a few wilders) from the books were alive. That way, we would have nations that we could recognize. Still, I'd probably prefer it if they made a game that takes place over 1000 years before the story - that way, they could take some liberties and actually do big stuff, without people wondering why no one's mentioned that great war or that fantastic Aes Sedai that lived just above 300 years ago.

I'd love a real RPG in Bioware-style, with the full world to explore and choices that affect the story, and you should be able to serve the Light or the Dark One, and choose whether to be a common soldier, an Aes Sedai or whatever.

I have no doubt that Bioware could pull it off. I definitely don't want EA to do it.

And I would hate it if the game was about Tarmon Gai'don. What's exciting about that? We already know the series and what happens. I don't want to play Nynaeve or Egwene - and definitely not Rand.

If they do something other than the books story they shouldnt call it just Wheel of Time or use any book names for the title. Sacrilige. If theres a Wheel of Time game I dont see the point in not playing Rand.

My first thought was for it to be developed by Lionhead and published by Microsoft Game Studios (they did Fable 1 & 2 together)

but Bethesda would also do an awesome job

it probably wouldn't be a main character - an unknown female or male user of the One power - in fact if it is like the Elder Scrolls games you'd probably get to chose your gender, appearance, race/nationality (like Aiel or from Andor etc)and skills

this would be a fantastic game considering the material they can work with but EA is probably sitting on the rights until a movie comes out - which, in itself, is highly unlikely - the movie would be like the war and peace movies where they only focus on one of the main characters plot lines - which would be Rand

if a mini series was created - where every character was done justice - it would depend on how much money the series made and how popular it was for EA to bother making a game

and I agree - EA would do a terrible job

If they sit on it until a movie is put out... well... let's look at the previous attempts at game/movie combos.

Remember how awesome those all were? You don't? Oh, that's right. They ALL sucked. (LotR anything, Most Star Wars games, Transformers, Avatar... this list continues...)

Bethesda and Bioware are the only two I could think of could really do it justice.

And if it were set in the present age, the only way I could enjoy it would be if I were an unknown. If they have you playing someone from the books, it's ruined before the release, period.

What...No one wants to see a Bungie version of WOT? ;D

Honestly I just play the games, I don't get too concerned over who makes them.  But I do agree, EA should have no hand at all in developing anything with this much potential.

But as far as plot, I'd like to see the storyline revolve around the War of Power.  Not necessarily as LTT or any of the other characters we know of, but a minor AS officer making his/her way up the ranks, or even one of the dreadlords.

Considering the technology and advanced knowledge of the OP in the Age of Legends, the game could be one part FPS (or FPC, First Person Chaneller,) one part Command and Conquer, and one part Super Power.

Bethesda I think. Although I did love Icewindale/Baldur's gate etc as well.

Although I don't think it should be set in any particular age. I would like to see different servers representing a different spoke in the wheel. Everyone plays through, and then at the (perhaps biannual, or annual) reset people are reborn in a new age. Continuity for hardcore gamers, but gives everyone a chance. Plus it would keep it fresh. Of course it might seem to be making the whole thing several times larger, but you need only release one age at a time. As Those in the first age are reborn into the first expansion age, new members can choose which serv (age) they want to start in.

A little off topic, but I just feel the age mechanism that Jordan created could solve a large problem with most MMOs.

If they sit on it until a movie is put out... well... let's look at the previous attempts at game/movie combos.

Remember how awesome those all were? You don't? Oh, that's right. They ALL sucked. (LotR anything, Most Star Wars games, Transformers, Avatar... this list continues...)

Uhh Star wars has had some of the best video games ever made.

Dark Forces

DarkForces 2 Jedi Kight

Dark Forces Mysteries of the Sith

Jedi Outcast

Rouge Squadron

Force Unleashed

The MMO Star Wars Galaxies (Very debatable but the crafting and loot system were amazing)

KOTOR

KOTOR 2

Theres a new Star Wards MMO by Bioware coming out

Star Wars Bounty Hunter( you play as Jango Fett)

Never, say Star wars video games fail...EVER!

For the Rest i agree Movie/book video games mostly fail.

Archived