DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Discussion] Starcraft 2

Barmacral

I know there's no release date, but according to BlizzCast interview with some of the developers, they said 3-5 month beta, and look to release by midsummer for Wings of Liberty...

Man, I can't wait. I've been cursing Dragoon pathing for too long now...

Gah I wish I got beta

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never tried MW2 mp so I can't really compare em. I just know that I love me some BC2 mp.

I have played MW mp and can draw some conclusions from that. MW mp is like 2 swat teams in a firefight. BC2 mp is like you're on a battlefield. There were several times where my squad and I were in a trench fight with the enemy while tanks rolled by, helicopters flew over us and mortar fire rained down from the sky. It was epic.

I never even played the original starcraft online, so I probably suck.

its awesome and i bet you could probably get both games for like 10 bucks. its a good game, you should check it out

Oh, I've played the single player extensively and I own the game. I just never got Battlenet to work...

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some information on the campaign:

The multiplayer beta for Blizzard's upcoming RTS has been getting all the attention lately, but today we can share a rare substantive look at the story-based campaign. The three missions that Blizzard recently made available to the press showcase several of the ideas that drive the design of the single-player side of the game. Don't miss the videos embedded in the story and the high-res screenshots in the media gallery below.

Stealing Gas For Fun And Profit

Gabriel Tosh – the Jamaican-accented fellow with the dreadlocks and the voodoo necklace seen in the video below – has a job for Raynor's Raiders. He's found a planet with reserves of Terrazine gas, for which he is willing to pay handsomely. The trick is that a splinter group of Protoss, the Tal'Darim, regard the shrines built around the geysers as sacred and will do everything in their power to keep the Terrans away.

Tosh isn't interested in divulging his reasons, but revolution is an expensive business, so Raynor is in no position to turn down a chance to make a fat profit. His home base, the battlecruiser Hyperion, makes its way to the Terrazine planet.

As the mission opens, I take control of a reasonably well-formed base awaiting orders. A barracks, factory, and mercenary compound are set to start pumping out troops, and a small army and complement of SCVs are ready for action. Tosh informs me that the Protoss will be attempting to seal the geysers, at which point they will become permanently unusable for our purposes. Also, once we start harvesting the first Terrazine node, the Tal'Darim declare their intentions to come hard at any SCVs that dare defile their sacred shrines.

This setup draws players out of the traditional single-player RTS mentality of turtling within a well-defended base until you have enough units to steamroll the opposition. Players have no choice but to aggressively seek out gas nodes to harvest while sending hit squads of their own to stop the enemy probes from locking the shrines down. You still need to defend your base (an unopposed warp ray makes quick work of any buildings), but managing multiple fronts is a necessity. With the way this mission forces players to pay attention to timing, take control of disparate zones of the map, and defend the home front, it has more in common with a good multiplayer match than a traditional single-player RTS mission.

Ultimately, the ubiquitous Terran "bio ball" of marines, medics, and marauders proves too much for the mixed forces of stalkers, scouts, and warp rays that the Tal'Darim send after us. A huge air raid on my base takes me by surprise at one point, but the quick hire of three mercenary companies (who are expensive upgraded versions of regular units who build instantly) carries the day. It's a struggle, but finding an undefended back door into the Protoss base in the middle of the map significantly reduces the incoming assaults and gave my forces enough breathing room to get the job done. The gas is ours!

The sense of accomplishment is fleeting, however, as the post-mission briefing informs me that I missed two achievements – preventing the death of any SCVs, and not allowing the Protoss to seal a single node – and two of the three research opportunities on the map. I'll be coming back, that's for sure.

Archived