DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Discussion] Starcraft 2

Barmacral

This game is rumoured to come out in 2010 sometime, though there is no set release date yet. Also, they plan to release it in three releases, one for each campaign. The entire game will be fully playable with the initial release though. And on the third point, there is supposedly no LAN feature to this game, which sucks.

What do you think of the game, and what have you heard about it?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The no LAN thing really sucks hard.  Blizzard is trying to monopolize professional Starcraft 2 because they know it's gonna be big.  I hear Kespa which pretty much has a monopoly on Korean pro Starcraft and Blizzard are in a bit of a tiff.  So far the actual gameplay looks good and I am definitely interested in this game.

I'm pretty sure the no LAN thing is for DRM issues. Requiring registration to Battle.NET means they have to own the game. We'll have to see how long, or even if, hackers can crack LAN functionality into the game.

As for splitting it into 3 games, I don't really mind so long as each campaign is as long as an entire game. The word from Blizzard so far is each campaign will be about 30 missions which is a goodly amount and probably worth it.

What's interesting is that the Terran campaign is first. The first game and expansion had alternating races and I hoped that this one would continue that just for the sake of symmetry.

I'm so looking forward to this game.

I'm pretty sure it is coming out in 2010. They had originally said early 2010 but then pulled that statement. I heard it was pulled to work on Battle.net, and that the actual game itself was finished, but not too sure about the truth of that.

One of the key points to the original game was the balance between 3 disparate races. It is -vital- that SC2 continues this otherwise the game will be dropped in an instant.

That being said the new Zerg scare the hell out of me.

The game will come out when Blizzard is ready.  That has been their business model and the reason their games are top notch.  I actually think Diablo 3 will be released before Starcraft 2.  Also with Star Wars:  The Old Republic coming out in 2010, I'm in no hurry to play Starcraft 2.  Also Halo Reach is scheduled for 2010 so I am not sure which game I'll be looking forward to playing the most.

• Community Administrator

The game will come out when Blizzard is ready.  That has been their business model and the reason their games are top notch.  I actually think Diablo 3 will be released before Starcraft 2.  Also with Star Wars:  The Old Republic coming out in 2010, I'm in no hurry to play Starcraft 2.  Also Halo Reach is scheduled for 2010 so I am not sure which game I'll be looking forward to playing the most.

Diablo 3 is stated for like, 2013 or 2014 right now... Blizzards a cruel mistress.

Idk where you got that Sin but I personally would guess 2011 for Diablo III.  Apparently Blizzard had to make a promise to Activision in the merger to come out with a new game every year.  But yeah, I'm def gonna be hitting up Starcraft 2, SWTOR, and Diablo 3 among others.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96308-Blizzards-Pardo-Confirms-No-Diablo-III-in-2010

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96110-Diablo-III-Coming-in-The-Next-Few-Years

2011 at the Earliest, but given blizzard 2012/2013 are more likely.

They also just scrapped the skill-tree system so thats going to add 9 months right there.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

People have cracked the beta with this. You can load up a map, have your race randomly chosen and play vs AI. It's pretty good for teaching what the new units are. And yeah, Dark Archon is gone so mind control from them.

My friend got into the beta, he's been getting his ass kicked by Koreans for a few hours now.

The cracked version was useless haha. I was so excited until I found out it had no ai.

Either way. Looks pretty. And I got to destroy a base with the Protoss Colossus'(?), which was fun. (Those tripod looking things)

I learned turning off shadows from war3.  I'll check if it's using any aa and turn that off too.  I know for a fact that physics is turned off on low settings.  The graphics settings options are actually really user friendly.

I learned turning off shadows from war3.  I'll check if it's using any aa and turn that off too.  I know for a fact that physics is turned off on low settings.  The graphics settings options are actually really user friendly.

After playing dawn of war, and silverfall, adding Physics to these games destroys 'performance' imo.

Archived