DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Christmas Carol - It's a Knockout 2009 (Winner: O Come All Ye Faithful)

Corki

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, another massive wrap up to allow us to progress. Any ties will be dealt with by me with the M-G casting an additional vote.

The 4th tie shows a draw, until an extra vote is cast for Once in a Royal David's City, which wons by 3 votes to 2.

In the 4th tie, O Little Town of Bethlehem eased to a 3-1 victory.

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen cruised to a 4-0 win in the 6th tie.

The 7th tie saw Silent Night beat I Saw Three Ships by 3 votes to 1.

And there would have been murder if O Come All Ye Faithful hadn't made it through in the final tie - it progressed with a 3-1 win.

Time for the second round ties to be posted.

Round 2, Tie 1

We Three Kings of Orient Are

This epiphany carol was written and composed by Reverend John Henry Hopkins, Jr., and it is suggested to have been written in 1857 but did not appear in print until his Carols, Hymns and Song in 1863.

2008 Record: 2nd Round

vs.

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel

A new song for the 2009 contest. This is the English translation of the Latin Veni, veni, Emmanuel. This was translated by John Mason Neale in the mid-19th century. The text is based on the biblical prophesy from Isaiah 7:14 that states that God will give Israel a sign that will be called Immanuel.

2008 Record: N/A

Voting ends Wednesday 23rd December 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 2, Tie 2

Away in a Manger

A widely known Christmas carol, often sung at school nativity plays. The song was first published with two verses in 1885, but the author is unknown. The third stanza was added later, and there is again more mystery surrounding this.

2008 Record: 2nd Round

Sung by King's College, Cambridge Choir

vs.

Once in a Royal David's City (4)

One of the better known carols, Once in a Royal David's City was originally a poem written by Cecil Frances Alexander in 1848. One year later, H.J. Gauntlett discovered the poem and set it to music. It is typically sung first in The Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols, with the first verse sung by a boy chorister as a solo, the second verse is sung by the choir, and the congregation joins in the third verse. Excluding the first verse, the hymn is accompanied by the organ.

2008 Record: 4th place

Round 2, Tie 3

O Little Town of Bethlehem (3)

Another of the popular Christmas carols, inspiration for the words arose when the priest Phillips Brooks visited Bethlehem. His organist Lewis Redner composed the music, and this music is used most in the US. The English tune Forest Green, adapted by Ralph Vaughan Williams, is the tune that features in the UK.

2008 Record: 3rd place

Sung at the Royal Albert Hall, London

vs.

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

The composer to this carol is unknown. It was first published in 1833 but had been performed for a long time before this date. The melody is in a minor key and is in common time.

2008: 2nd Round

Round 2, Tie 4

Silent Night

The original carol was written in German (Stille Nacht) by the Austrian Father Josef Mohr and the melody was composed by the Austrian headmaster Franz Xaver Gruber. In 1859, John Freeman Young published the English translation that is most frequently sung today. The first performace of the carol was on 24th December 1818.

2008 Record: 1st Round

Mormon Tabernacle Choir

vs.

O Come All Ye Faithful (2)

O Come ALl Ye Faithful is the English translation of the Latin hymn, Adeste Fideles. It is attributed to John Francis Wade, with the English translation done by Frederick Oakeley. When it first originated is unknown, but since translation, the carol has expanded from 4 verses to 8. Personally, I prefer the Latin version (well, I do have bias), but both are great, great carols!

2008 Record: Runner-up

Tie 1: O Come, O Come, Emmanuel

Tie 2: Once in a Royal David's City

Tie 3: O Little Town of Bethlehem

Tie 4: O Come All Ye Faithful

I'm too lazy to type it out all myself, but those are my votes!

And it is time to move this on, so here are the results of the second round, with my extra vote should there be a tie.

In the 1st tie, it is a tie, until my extra vote goes to O Come, O Come, Emmanuel, which goes through as a 3-2 winner.

The second tie is more straight forward, as Once in a Royal David's City wins by 3 votes to 1.

There is another tie in the third round, and the extra vote goes to O Little Town of Bethlehem, which progress as the winner by 3 votes to 2.

And the final tie of the 2nd Round is an easy win for O Come All Ye Faithful, which wins 4-0.

Time for the 2 semi-finals to be posted!

Semi-Final, Tie 1

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel

A new song for the 2009 contest. This is the English translation of the Latin Veni, veni, Emmanuel. This was translated by John Mason Neale in the mid-19th century. The text is based on the biblical prophesy from Isaiah 7:14 that states that God will give Israel a sign that will be called Immanuel.

vs.

One of the better known carols, Once in a Royal David's City was originally a poem written by Cecil Frances Alexander in 1848. One year later, H.J. Gauntlett discovered the poem and set it to music. It is typically sung first in The Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols, with the first verse sung by a boy chorister as a solo, the second verse is sung by the choir, and the congregation joins in the third verse. Excluding the first verse, the hymn is accompanied by the organ.

Voting ends Tuesday 29th December 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Semi-Final, Tie 2

Another of the popular Christmas carols, inspiration for the words arose when the priest Phillips Brooks visited Bethlehem. His organist Lewis Redner composed the music, and this music is used most in the US. The English tune Forest Green, adapted by Ralph Vaughan Williams, is the tune that features in the UK.

vs.

O Come ALl Ye Faithful is the English translation of the Latin hymn, Adeste Fideles. It is attributed to John Francis Wade, with the English translation done by Frederick Oakeley. When it first originated is unknown, but since translation, the carol has expanded from 4 verses to 8. Personally, I prefer the Latin version (well, I do have bias), but both are great, great carols!

Voting ends Tuesday 29th December 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Grand Final

vs.

Voting ends Sunday 3rd January 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

3rd/4th Place Play-Off

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel

vs.

Voting ends Sunday 3rd January 2010 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived