DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[MUSIC] How do you buy your music?

With the Age of iTunes well underway, I was thinking about how I listen to new music. It used to be that I would hear a song a few times on the radio, then after finally hearing the name of the band from the DJ, if I REALLY liked the song, I would go buy the CD. Usually I didn't know any other songs on the album at first, but then by over-listening to the CD, I would get to know them fairly well.

Now in the age of iTunes, I rarely listen to the radio, though when I do, if I hear a song, I just go buy that individual song and not the whole album. Sometimes I will get the entire album, but only after I have gotten seriously addicted to the band. The result is that my playlist doesn't expand much.

So I am just wondering... how do you all get new music in this age of iTunes? Do you buy physical CD's? Individual songs? Entire albums online? If you get an entire album, how do you decide to buy the whole thing?

I still tend to buy on CD. I don't have an iPod and I don't want one. What isn't on CD is on mp3 on my mp3 player. Generally if I hear something I like, I'll give it a listen on Youtube (and the rest of the album too), and if I like it I'll look for it next time I go shopping for CDs.

i buy cd's tho very randomly lol i don't have a i pod either so don't get i tunes ummm for me it's always the albums as i donn't have much money to spend on cd's so with the album i get more for my money and i usely end up likeing most of the songs. as well if i buy cd's i can play them in my car which is good because some anoying person broke my antener one new years so i don't get radio very well. 

Don't buy as much as I used to.

I prefer to buy CD's and will generally find a song I like, buy the CD entire and find some other songs I like. I've had a good hit rate with it.

Don't listen to current radio songs much and don't use iTunes.

I also go to second hand stores alot for things like CDs games and books

Despite owning an iPod and having iTunes on my laptop, I much prefer having CDs, which I buy quite often. I maybe a couple a month, and I like to look in the offers section of various stores - HMV's 2 CDs for £10 is a favourite place to look. I guess I do this because I am a person who prefers owning physical items that I can handle. Most of my purchases come from listening to music online, via last.fm usually.

I do have some exception to my transfer from CD's to iTunes-- if a CD is 9.99 or less I will get it, as that is the general price on iTunes. I do like to have it available to play in the car without burning a mix (though can't wait til I have a car with an input in the stereo). I did that with a great Michael Jackson CD.

I have to admit I buy CD's more often than 3-4 years ago. Mostly because prices have gone down. Well known artists are still expensive but less know bands are well within my budget. I don't own iPod or any MP3 player (even in a cell phone LOL) so I'm not using it at all. Listening to the radio is like daily ritual. ;-) Especially on friday when when just before 7 AM there's a nice set of auditions on air.  :)

If I want an album from an artist that's not well known, and I want to actually support them, I will buy the cd.  Or if I just want the cd itself, I will buy it, such as The Swell Season's new album or Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Otherwise I use the website www.legalsounds.com

I almost never use iTunes.  I'd rather have a physical copy than a digital copy...at least at the price iTunes charges.

I have never bought a CD for myself, I just take the ones dad buys and "borrow" them for years at a time and then randomly give them back when I'm tired of them.

I'm sure I'll buy more CD's once I'm out on my own, but I'm not a fan of iTunes and I do not know why.

Some of the CD's I 'borrowed' I've asked to keep, others I've asked to be given a replacement of so both my dad and I have one.  Despite using the iPod all the time, Dad still insists on buying the album of every single artist he even remotely likes.

I'm guessing my dad will want all of his CD's back at some point...which means I have to figure out which ones are actually mine and which ones aren't...that sounds fun lol

I do know that my boyfriend does more of the just buying a single song that he likes on iTunes as he has a much smaller iPod than I do....my dad spoiled me with a 60GB whereas my boyfriend bought himself a 3GB I believe...it's tiny lol

I always look through my parents CDs...and it is an eclectic mix, ranging from Classical Music to the 1960s, Gregorian Chants (which are bloody awesome!) to the 1980s. I have quite a few of their CDs on my iPod.

Archived