DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Signing questions and answers

JenniferL

Doesn't Rand say something to Ny to that effect late in TGS? Something like he trusts her more than Caddy because he knows Ny cares about him for him, and not just as a part in some plan?

Caddy needs to be taken down a few pegs.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that it was fitting that the CK was destroyed becuase of what it represented. Absolute power. One man with Absolute power is just as bad as teh Dark one IMO. I mean Look at Communison. There is a goverment that was at its base theory an excellent form of govermnet but once it had absolute unquestionable power it became corrupt and failed miserably. It would be the perfect goverment of people were perfect. But they are not.

The CK is kinda of the Same thng to Rand. That is why he became so dark. he had absolute power and it was corrupting him. Nothing could stop him with the CK. By him destroying he proved not only to himeself but others that he is willing to give up his power. It does not Rule him, he rules it. I have never heard of any goverment giving up any powers that they have taken up in "crisis". Rand has infact done this.

I think that it was fitting that the CK was destroyed becuase of what it represented. Absolute power. One man with Absolute power is just as bad as teh Dark one IMO. I mean Look at Communison. There is a goverment that was at its base theory an excellent form of govermnet but once it had absolute unquestionable power it became corrupt and failed miserably. It would be the perfect goverment of people were perfect. But they are not.

The CK is kinda of the Same thng to Rand. That is why he became so dark. he had absolute power and it was corrupting him. Nothing could stop him with the CK. By him destroying he proved not only to himeself but others that he is willing to give up his power. It does not Rule him, he rules it. I have never heard of any goverment giving up any powers that they have taken up in "crisis". Rand has infact done this.

Well maybe the U.S. government will undertake a long overdue review of the infamous (anti)Patriot Act and restore some of our Constitutional rights.

ROFLMAO

No, that's not the case at all. She has said she wants him to learn laughter and tears because if he doesn't, his victory might be as dark as his defeat. Moiraine was the one who didn't care about him beyond TG, Cads is very much focused on Rand as a person as opposed to the Dragon, and the aftermath of TG.
On the contrary, I'm pretty sure I remember reading in one of the earlier books, in one of Cadsuane's own PoVs, specifically thinking to herself about how she was determined to see "that boy" live long enough until it was time for him to die.  Laughter and Tears she wants to teach him to make sure that the victory isn't so black, but even in RJ's earlier books there's evidence that she really doesn't care for Rand's well-being, just that he fulfills his purpose.
So? She still cares about him as a person, about more than just him winning TG.
Based on?  Every one of her PoVs that I remember reading, both those written by Jordan and Sanderson, give little evidence that in her heart of hearts she cares about him as a person, only that he stays alive until he dies when the prophecies say he will, and ideally when he's not "Darth Rand" and end up leaving the entire world to starve to death because he died without his laughter and tears, or something equally bad that would make the victory as bad as defeat.
Based on her being the only person addressing his personal problems, not just treating him as some sort of machine for fulfilling prophecies. The thing about her not wanting "Darth Rand" just proves my point,as that's nothing to do with the Prophecies and everything to do with him as a person.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the signing in Idaho Falls today and asked BS if we had seen Demandred's alter ego on screen and he gave me a R.A.F.O. card and said that Demandred's identity is the biggest secret in the series and will pay off in the end. I asked if the pacing would be the same in TofM as it was in TGS and he said that TGS was like books 1-3 and TofM would be like 4-6. I'm not sure if this is new or not but thought I'd post it

Went to the signing in Idaho Falls today and asked BS if we had seen Demandred's alter ego on screen and he gave me a R.A.F.O. card and said that Demandred's identity is the biggest secret in the series and will pay off in the end. I asked if the pacing would be the same in TofM as it was in TGS and he said that TGS was like books 1-3 and TofM would be like 4-6. I'm not sure if this is new or not but thought I'd post it

Thanks for the info.  This makes sense, considering all the viewpoints that need to be covered before the Last Battle.  I'm just hoping that ToM will be closer to books 4-5 than LoC.

On the contrary, I'm pretty sure I remember reading in one of the earlier books, in one of Cadsuane's own PoVs, specifically thinking to herself about how she was determined to see "that boy" live long enough until it was time for him to die.

That was actually Verin (PoD prologue I think, when she was compelling the captured TAS).

Laughter and Tears she wants to teach him to make sure that the victory isn't so black, but even in RJ's earlier books there's evidence that she really doesn't care for Rand's well-being, just that he fulfills his purpose.

To be fair, she is almost 300 years old. She had seen so many people get born, grow old and die in her lifetime. She dedicated herself to seeing the world through the Last Battle and yes, Rand is her means to that end, but this does not mean she does not view him as a person. After her exile in Bandar Eban we see from her PoV that she actually feels sorry for Rand (and yes, impatience, for the disruption in her plans). I think she really does view herself as smarter, more experienced and better than any Aes Sedai alive. In many ways that is true, but it makes her complancent and arrogant - and impatient - somewhat like Rand himself I guess...

Her attitude has worked for male channelers before. The men she captured were gentled, yet somehow did not completely lose their will to live and survived far longer than other gentled men. Obviously they sensed she saw them as people and not only threats or tools.

Archived