DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Signing questions and answers

JenniferL

If you assume that Cadsuane is growing increasingly frustrated with her lack of progress with Rand, and with TG approaching but Rand continuing to deteriorate, it is conceivable that she would "lose her cool".  She is being broken down, somewhat as Semi was.  But I expect Cadsuane to rebound, pull herself together, and have a major role to play in the last two books.

That is exactly what's happening with Cadsuane.  Being Cadsuane, she feels justified in letting her frustration get the best of her, while Rand, juggling a much bigger and thornier set of problems is just, to her way of thinking, being a willful child.

Arrogance, myopia, and hypocrisy, thy name is Cadsuane.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's like he got some of Cadsuane, but missed the finer points of her character.
There are no "fine points" to Cadsuane's character.  She is a very blunt instrument.
There's no point arguing with you, Bob, you don't care about evidence.
How would you know, you never present any evidence.

Just one quote from the books that points out even one of these "fine points" you seem to believe exists.

You've been through this argument before, you've seen the evidence before. You ignore the difference in how she treats various people - she doesn't treat Aleis in the same way she treats Rand, for example. If it didn't change your mind then, why bother trying to change it now? Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results was a definition of insanity, right?

You've been through this argument before, you've seen the evidence before. You ignore the difference in how she treats various people - she doesn't treat Aleis in the same way she treats Rand, for example. If it didn't change your mind then, why bother trying to change it now? Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results was a definition of insanity, right?

She bullies Aleis into accepting them as houseguests.  Abuses her ( forced ) hospitality.  Publically "spanks" her in such a way as to lead to Aleis' downfall.  And then, abandons her.

Yeah, Cadsuane's a real peach.

Bob, you are forgetting that the book specifically stated, from Cadsuane's POV, that she regretted what she had to do to Aleis.  However, Rand was more important than the leader(s) in Far Madding.

She does go about some stuff all wrong, in our opinions, as people who can see the big picture.  But she has a goal and continues to slog toward it.  Remember, even the Aiel Wise Ones are on her side wrt Rand!  One thing, though, that Nynaeve has on her side that Cadsuane doesn't, is that Nynaeve wants to see him survive TG; Cadsuane merely seems to want to make sure he's there to fight the DO.  Rand knows this; that's why he trusts Nynaeve where he still views Cadsuane with suspicion (possibly even more now, that before).  Remember, too, that Rand regretted his moment of anger in which he exiled Cadsuane.  I wonder if his attitude toward her will change at all now that he's "human" again.

But back to questions - in the Compilation A thread, one of the questions was whether Elayne knew that Alanna had bonded Rand.  The answer is yes and she was furious.  Aviendha and Min found out, as well, but all 3 chose to bond him anyway . . . and they asked first!  I'd post it in the Q&A thread where it was originally asked but don't have time to find it!  Can anyone help with that?

Bob, you are forgetting that the book specifically stated, from Cadsuane's POV, that she regretted what she had to do to Aleis.  However, Rand was more important than the leader(s) in Far Madding.

She does go about some stuff all wrong, in our opinions, as people who can see the big picture.  But she has a goal and continues to slog toward it.  Remember, even the Aiel Wise Ones are on her side wrt Rand!  One thing, though, that Nynaeve has on her side that Cadsuane doesn't, is that Nynaeve wants to see him survive TG; Cadsuane merely seems to want to make sure he's there to fight the DO.  Rand knows this; that's why he trusts Nynaeve where he still views Cadsuane with suspicion (possibly even more now, that before).  Remember, too, that Rand regretted his moment of anger in which he exiled Cadsuane.  I wonder if his attitude toward her will change at all now that he's "human" again.

But back to questions - in the Compilation A thread, one of the questions was whether Elayne knew that Alanna had bonded Rand.  The answer is yes and she was furious.  Aviendha and Min found out, as well, but all 3 chose to bond him anyway . . . and they asked first!  I'd post it in the Q&A thread where it was originally asked but don't have time to find it!  Can anyone help with that?

Believing you need to do something regrettable is different from actually needing to do it.  Given a choice, Cadsuane will always throw the baby out with the bathwater because it's just more efficient to do things that way - in her opinion.

Not sure what you're asking about the bonding.

That's precisely the reason why there's no point trying to debate this with Bob - he doesn't care about things like this. She doesn't just shove people around for the hell of it. What she does, she does for a reason, and that reason isn't because she enjoys it.

She does go about some stuff all wrong, in our opinions, as people who can see the big picture.
Such as?
One thing, though, that Nynaeve has on her side that Cadsuane doesn't, is that Nynaeve wants to see him survive TG; Cadsuane merely seems to want to make sure he's there to fight the DO.
No, that's not the case at all. She has said she wants him t olearn laughter and tears because if he doesn't, his victory might be as dark as his defeat. Moiraine was the one who didn't care about him beyond TG, Cads is very much focused on Rand as a person as opposed to the Dragon, and the aftermath of TG.

Cadsuane is very Aes Sedai.  She's had a lifetime to study, observe, correlate, and test hypotheses on male channelers who were going mad.  She believes that this makes her uniquely qualified to determine what the world needs from The Dragon Reborn at the last battle.  She is determined to make Rand into exactly that.  Nothing more and nothing less.

Her entire focus is on what the world needs.  What she has always failed to grasp or even consider is what Rand needs.  Not once has she ever sat down and talked to him.  Gotten to know the person and what drives him.  What his aspirations are and what his fears are.  She knows quite a lot about the generic male channeler, but nothing of any substance about Rand al'Thor.  She's developed a cookie-cutter approach to handling men who can channel, and she's determined to stamp Rand into that mold.  To her he's just another "fool boy."

All without ever taking the time to find out what Rand really needs.  Forcing rather than helping.  Making a total and complete mess of everything.

Min sums it up extremely well, "This is what we all get for assuming we can make him do what we want."

Cadsuane assumes, she doesn't ask.  Cadsuane orders, she doesn't advise.  Cadsuane manipulates rather than assists.  She schemes.  She plots.  She intrigues behind his back.  She's every bit as bad for his mental state as Semirhage.  She just isn't as honest.

Good grief, looks like I have to agree with Bob.

Cadsuane is blinded by her arrogance. She could have done things a lot more easily and effectively if she hadn't automatically taken the high road each time she was questioned. Cads may think she knows how to handle channelers, but Rand is a Two Rivers man, nobody is more stubborn. Blood and ashes, Faile would be able to handle him better.

Cadsuane is blinded by her arrogance. She could have done things a lot more easily and effectively if she hadn't automatically taken the high road each time she was questioned. Cads may think she knows how to handle channelers, but Rand is a Two Rivers man, nobody is more stubborn. Blood and ashes, Faile would be able to handle him better.

I agree with both of you.

Cads' attitude is extremely unpleasant to me.  For all this talk of how effective and well-meaning she is, imagine what it would be like to try to work with her.  Unless you'd be willing to eat naught but humble pie and fawn, it would be torture.  Tan had it right.

Cadsuane is very Aes Sedai.  She's had a lifetime to study, observe, correlate, and test hypotheses on male channelers who were going mad.  She believes that this makes her uniquely qualified to determine what the world needs from The Dragon Reborn at the last battle.  She is determined to make Rand into exactly that.  Nothing more and nothing less.

Her entire focus is on what the world needs.  What she has always failed to grasp or even consider is what Rand needs.  Not once has she ever sat down and talked to him.  Gotten to know the person and what drives him.  What his aspirations are and what his fears are.  She knows quite a lot about the generic male channeler, but nothing of any substance about Rand al'Thor.  She's developed a cookie-cutter approach to handling men who can channel, and she's determined to stamp Rand into that mold.  To her he's just another "fool boy."

All without ever taking the time to find out what Rand really needs.  Forcing rather than helping.  Making a total and complete mess of everything.

Min sums it up extremely well, "This is what we all get for assuming we can make him do what we want."

Cadsuane assumes, she doesn't ask.  Cadsuane orders, she doesn't advise.  Cadsuane manipulates rather than assists.  She schemes.  She plots.  She intrigues behind his back.  She's every bit as bad for his mental state as Semirhage.  She just isn't as honest.

So true.  It's enough to make me wonder...now that Cads has fulfilled her quest and taught Rand laughter (and by taught, I mean insulted, bullied, manipulated, and slapped), can't she just gracefully leave the story?  Aren't I, the reader, also entitled to learn laughter again?  For example, wouldn't Cadsuane make a tasty  Trolloc meal -- kind of like AS beef jerky?  Oh we could all mourn her loss...there goes Cadsuane.  May she be reanimated by the Dark One.  But the story would be so much better off without that old buzzard.

I wouldn't if I were you.

Well, easy to say, less easy to prove. Caduane's approach was working. She was Rand's advisor - and she was advising, not ordering - she rescued Rand from Far Madding, saved his life at the Cleansing. She has gentled more men than any other living AS, and hers tend to live longer than others. She doesn't treat everyone in the same way, so one should ask the question why she does treat different people in the way she does. What does she hope to gain from Rand by pushing him? Cadsuane knows how to handle people. She recognises, for example, that Samitsu requires praise, and that trying to shove her around won't get her anywhere. She sees the Daigian is useful, where most disregard her due to her strength in the Power. She treats Sorilea as an equal. So why is she using this tactic in particular with Rand? It is not through a simple desire to bully, which has never been seen before, or hinted at. It is not to make herself feel big. It is chosen deliberately because she thinks that is the best way to handle him. And it works. For a while, at least. Until the incident with Semi, which wasn't foreseeable or avoidable. Cadsuane was a positive for Rand. people may find her abrasive, but she was helpful. People who just see her as a bully miss the subtleties, which are there, and have been pointed out. I'm not asking you to like her. But I am asking you to take a step back, and look at her chracter in full, and try and see those subtleties. It might give you a new appreciation of her, it might not. But you will at least appreciate where some of us are coming from. It's too late for Bob, but I hope I can reach some of you.

Well, easy to say, less easy to prove.

Not really.

Caduane's approach was working.

No it wasn't.

She was Rand's advisor - and she was advising, not ordering - she rescued Rand from Far Madding, saved his life at the Cleansing.

When did she ever "advise?"  

She has gentled more men than any other living AS, and hers tend to live longer than others.

And this is germane how?

She doesn't treat everyone in the same way, so one should ask the question why she does treat different people in the way she does.

True.  She treats people two different ways.

Way 1. - What will it take to get you to go away and let me get on with my master plan?

Way 2. - What will it take to suck you in and make you a pawn in my master plan?

What does she hope to gain from Rand by pushing him?

That is the 64 dollar question, isn't it?  Whatever it was, her methods were not working.  She had gotten on his last nerve as was, the incident with Semi was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Cadsuane knows how to handle people. She recognises, for example, that Samitsu requires praise, and that trying to shove her around won't get her anywhere.

No.  She sees that massaging Samitsu's ego is the quickest way to get Samitsu out of her hair.

She sees the Daigian is useful, where most disregard her due to her strength in the Power.

She sees that Daighan can be used to keep Nynaeve out of her hair.

She treats Sorilea as an equal.

Sorilea in particular and the Aiel in general won't permit her to treat them as anything less than equals.  She sees that the Aiel have influence with Rand.  Her grudging acceptance of that merely shows that she isn't quite completely stupid.  Constantly having to work around them would take too much time and effort, so she seeks to co-opt them.  

So why is she using this tactic in particular with Rand? It is not through a simple desire to bully, which has never been seen before, or hinted at. It is not to make herself feel big. It is chosen deliberately because she thinks that is the best way to handle him. And it works. For a while, at least.

Presumably all those who shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly do it because they think it's the best thing to do, too.  That doesn't make them any more right than it makes her.  Or you.

. Cadsuane was a positive for Rand. people may find her abrasive, but she was helpful. People who just see her as a bully miss the subtleties, which are there, and have been pointed out. I'm not asking you to like her. But I am asking you to take a step back, and look at her chracter in full, and try and see those subtleties. It might give you a new appreciation of her, it might not. But you will at least appreciate where some of us are coming from. It's too late for Bob, but I hope I can reach some of you.

What positives she contributed were incidental.  In a more real and deliberate sense, the BA in the persons of Verin and Elza had a more positive effect.  Elza was, after all, the one who killed Aginor.  She was also the one who secured the Domination Band, thoroughly demonstrating how baselessly overconfident and worthless Cadsuane is.

Samitsu - manipulation.

Daighan - manipulation.

Sorilea - manipulation.

Nynaeve - manipulation.

Min - manipulation.

Tam - manipulation.

Rand - manipulation.

Cadsuane is a plague of lies, deceit, and hubris.  She treats no one with honest respect because there is no one for whom she holds honest respect.

Well, easy to say, less easy to prove. Caduane's approach was working. She was Rand's advisor - and she was advising, not ordering - she rescued Rand from Far Madding, saved his life at the Cleansing. She has gentled more men than any other living AS, and hers tend to live longer than others. She doesn't treat everyone in the same way, so one should ask the question why she does treat different people in the way she does. What does she hope to gain from Rand by pushing him? Cadsuane knows how to handle people. She recognises, for example, that Samitsu requires praise, and that trying to shove her around won't get her anywhere. She sees the Daigian is useful, where most disregard her due to her strength in the Power. She treats Sorilea as an equal. So why is she using this tactic in particular with Rand? It is not through a simple desire to bully, which has never been seen before, or hinted at. It is not to make herself feel big. It is chosen deliberately because she thinks that is the best way to handle him. And it works. For a while, at least. Until the incident with Semi, which wasn't foreseeable or avoidable. Cadsuane was a positive for Rand. people may find her abrasive, but she was helpful. People who just see her as a bully miss the subtleties, which are there, and have been pointed out. I'm not asking you to like her. But I am asking you to take a step back, and look at her chracter in full, and try and see those subtleties. It might give you a new appreciation of her, it might not. But you will at least appreciate where some of us are coming from. It's too late for Bob, but I hope I can reach some of you.

Oh I appreciate her, but she just doesn't know how to handle a Two Rivers man - especially one who has outgrown his fear and awe of authority figures like Wisdoms or Aes Sedai. As Min said, she goes about things the wrong way with Rand. She's had some success, but limited by her lack of understanding of Rand and assumption that she already does understand all she needs to.

I'm sure her tactics would have worked much on Logain if he was the Dragon, but this wool-headed sheepherder is a different story.

Firstly, Bob, which part of "I'm not going to discuss this with you" escaped you? I don't think you're prepared to listen to any point I make on this, so I'm not going to bother making a point to you. Now, on to more rational people.

Oh I appreciate her, but she just doesn't know how to handle a Two Rivers man - especially one who has outgrown his fear and awe of authority figures like Wisdoms or Aes Sedai. As Min said, she goes about things the wrong way with Rand. She's had some success, but limited by her lack of understanding of Rand and assumption that she already does understand all she needs to.

I'm sure her tactics would have worked much on Logain if he was the Dragon, but this wool-headed sheepherder is a different story.

I think her tactics work fine on a Two Rivers man. She shows a bluntness in her approach to him that Moiraine didn't. Moiraine had to work hard to earn his trust, but Cadsuane got it much quicker. Undoubtedly Min having a Viewing saying he needed Cadsuane helped, but so did her attitude to him. Look at one incident in KoD: Rand loses his temper after a peace with the Tairen rebels is agreed, one that gets him everything he asked for and more, but he objects because he doesn't want to give them their titles back. A fit of pique over nothing, and Caduane calms him down. Her methods worked. She knew exactly how to handle him. In her first appearance she pushes him, because this is the best way to get the measure of him. Her insistence on manners is less because of how much she cares about politeness, and more about it being something to irritate Rand. Because she wants to get him in touch with his emotions. So she piles up these rules, constantly needling him. She wouldn't use the same tactics with Logain - she treats people as individuals. AS are not granted automatic respect in her eyes by virtue of being AS, nor does she automatically treat wilders with disdain. Her methods are specifically chosen to fit Rand. She advises him, but doesn't force him to do as she wants - just to listen to her advice. She agreed to put his interests first, before those of the Tower. And he accepts. He agrees to have her as his advisor. She works on breaking through his walls. She was having some success.

Here's a question: how would you have dealt with Rand? How would you have approached him, how would you gain his trust? How would you begin breaking through his walls?

Yeah, I left out a crucial word in my original message, sorry about that.  What I was supposed to say is, Lanfear has made a quote about "only TWO sa'angrael for males are stronger."  Which implies there is another sa'angrael for males that has not been discussed, seen, or accessed yet.  Sorry for the confusion, bad typing.

Yeah, I know about that...just saying, Brandon's comment doesn't imply that there is one that is stronger than the Choedan Kal.  It seems he revised his statement to include the female Choedan Kal.

I don't think it can necessarily be that cut and dry.  Lanfear's quote from book 4 has to mean something.  It seems to me that it can be just as likely that Brandon is covering a slip where he gave false information (saying "The most powerful") as it is that he's revising to include the female CK.

How will Cadsuane react to Egwene?  Will she recognize her as Amyrlin, and obey her if given direct orders?  Would she do penance if Egwene demanded it? 

And how will Egwene react to Cadsuane?  It may depend on how she views Cadsuane's interaction with Rand.  But now as full Amyrlin, can she accept someone as independent as Cadsuane?  I don't know if there is time in two books for this relationship to be fully developed.

The only thing that would interest me with a super strong sa'angreal would be if Moridin had it. That's the kind of thing that should follow the stupidity of Rand blowing up the CK and destroying one of the most powerful tools available to the Light. Stupidity really should be a punishable crime.

The only thing that would interest me with a super strong sa'angreal would be if Moridin had it. That's the kind of thing that should follow the stupidity of Rand blowing up the CK and destroying one of the most powerful tools available to the Light. Stupidity really should be a punishable crime.

Meh, after Rand used that access key to make himself into a little crazy demigod (balefiring Graendal's entire palace, almost leveling Ebou Dar by himself) I wasn't too sad to see it go.

Lets be honest, for the sake of the story, the Choedan Kal simply had to go. Omnipotent characters are boring. Rand with that access key was invincible, so obviously it had to be discarded somehow.

Really, I think the male key should have burned out with the female one at Shadar Logoth. But I suppose they needed something for Rand to nearly destroy the world with at Dragonmount....

Even the CK wouldn't have stopped any half intelligent baddies from taking Rand down. That happening would also have been interesting.

But seriously:

1. Destroying the CK - an immensely useful tool for TG was incredibly retarded.

2. Rand can cause as much destruction using his forces and a little bit of planning anyway.

There are many kinds of power. In fighting the DO though, without knowing beforehand that he has no further use for them, destroying the CK was not an acceptable idea. Besides there is no such thing as too much power :)

The various US presidents have had the ability to nuke countries for years.

Anyway, with the whole ta'veren and the Wheel of Time weaving everything into exactly what it wants, Rand may as well be invincible... until he goes to die like a puppet.

maybe i am out of line by saying the following, but

posts need to stay within the topic.  More specifically, i see this occur when a reply sparks a drawn out back and forth that is off-topic.  Making matters worse, and what really makes it frustrating, is that the back and forth takes up way to much space.  This is not fair to the other readers who are forced to weed through the unrelated back and forth that becomes detailed and sometimes personal.

again, no offense intended.  perhaps i am the only person who feels this way.  if that's the case, then i apologize.

No, that's not the case at all. She has said she wants him t olearn laughter and tears because if he doesn't, his victory might be as dark as his defeat. Moiraine was the one who didn't care about him beyond TG, Cads is very much focused on Rand as a person as opposed to the Dragon, and the aftermath of TG.

On the contrary, I'm pretty sure I remember reading in one of the earlier books, in one of Cadsuane's own PoVs, specifically thinking to herself about how she was determined to see "that boy" live long enough until it was time for him to die.  Laughter and Tears she wants to teach him to make sure that the victory isn't so black, but even in RJ's earlier books there's evidence that she really doesn't care for Rand's well-being, just that he fulfills his purpose.

If someone can back me up with a quote from one of the books, that would be awesome.

Even the CK wouldn't have stopped any half intelligent baddies from taking Rand down. That happening would also have been interesting.
So destroying the CK is a bad idea, even though he has no use for them, they would be dangerous iin the wrong hands, there are no right hands, and having them means you can still be beaten by anyone who is "half-intelligent"? Right.

1. Destroying the CK - an immensely useful tool for TG was incredibly retarded.
But it was not an immenesely useful tool. Or at least, any possible use came with massive risk. He cannot beat Shai'tan with it, and that is his fight.

There are many kinds of power. In fighting the DO though, without knowing beforehand that he has no further use for them, destroying the CK was not an acceptable idea. Besides there is no such thing as too much power :)

The various US presidents have had the ability to nuke countries for years.

Yes, and for most of that time have been balanced by other nuclear powers. Meaning they couldn't go nuclear without themselves being wiped out. Before that though, when the US was the sole nuclear power...I know more than one person who was more worried about the US alone having nukes than the US and the USSR having them. By destroying the CK, Rand made the world a safer place.

No, that's not the case at all. She has said she wants him to learn laughter and tears because if he doesn't, his victory might be as dark as his defeat. Moiraine was the one who didn't care about him beyond TG, Cads is very much focused on Rand as a person as opposed to the Dragon, and the aftermath of TG.
On the contrary, I'm pretty sure I remember reading in one of the earlier books, in one of Cadsuane's own PoVs, specifically thinking to herself about how she was determined to see "that boy" live long enough until it was time for him to die.  Laughter and Tears she wants to teach him to make sure that the victory isn't so black, but even in RJ's earlier books there's evidence that she really doesn't care for Rand's well-being, just that he fulfills his purpose.
So? She still cares about him as a person, about more than just him winning TG.

No, that's not the case at all. She has said she wants him to learn laughter and tears because if he doesn't, his victory might be as dark as his defeat. Moiraine was the one who didn't care about him beyond TG, Cads is very much focused on Rand as a person as opposed to the Dragon, and the aftermath of TG.
On the contrary, I'm pretty sure I remember reading in one of the earlier books, in one of Cadsuane's own PoVs, specifically thinking to herself about how she was determined to see "that boy" live long enough until it was time for him to die.  Laughter and Tears she wants to teach him to make sure that the victory isn't so black, but even in RJ's earlier books there's evidence that she really doesn't care for Rand's well-being, just that he fulfills his purpose.
So? She still cares about him as a person, about more than just him winning TG.

Based on?  Every one of her PoVs that I remember reading, both those written by Jordan and Sanderson, give little evidence that in her heart of hearts she cares about him as a person, only that he stays alive until he dies when the prophecies say he will, and ideally when he's not "Darth Rand" and end up leaving the entire world to starve to death because he died without his laughter and tears, or something equally bad that would make the victory as bad as defeat.

Archived