DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[SPOILER]Just finished KoD; have some questions and comments

ltkettch17

This was probably the most enjoyable WOT book I've read in a while. None of the other recent books kept me as interested as this one did.

I was really pissed that Egwene got captured by the WT, but her chapters were some of the best. I like the way she's got her own little insurrection going on in the tower, and there's little Elaida can do but throw her in a cell to prolong the inevitable - but she doesnt do it.

Is Elaida really stupid?

Will Elaida be killed, or somehow deposed by sisters within the tower?

Will Egwene somehow find a remedy to combat her tea problem, and regain her channeling abilities?

Why did the Aiel take Aviendha and leave Elayne to fight for Camlyn?

Just what are the borderlanders planning on doing when they finally get out of Andor and talk to Rand? I remember them being in a prologue of one of the books and it sounded pretty ominous, but why would they want to do anything to jeopordize the Final Battle?

Now that Mat is separated from Tuon, will he really go find the Aelfin and Eelfin? To what end?

Did the Forsaken cause some kind of rebellion in Seanchan? What is the role of the Seanchan to be in the Final Battle?

Have seanchan Ogier visited any of the 'hometown' ogier?

Will there be some kind of Ogier golden age in the next book?

What is Rand supposed to do when he meets the daughter of the nine moons?

How does Rand fight off an entire army of trollocs and myrdrall, but lose his hand to Semirhage?

I had a pretty omnipotent image of Rand going into this book, and taking damage from anybody was not something I expected.

Now that Perrin has FINALLY rescued Faile, what plotline will he resolve next; reunite the white tower, get rand and the seanchan together, bring Moiraine back by discovering a new wolf angreal?

Is there really a chance of Moiraine coming back?

Are there any prophecies regarding Moiraine; through Min, tower angreal, or otherwise?

Just what is Taim about anyway?

And how bout Logain; he seemed pretty pissy as well?

Is Gawyn dead, or just out of the picture?

How much time passed in this book; 3 weeks?

Will anything ever happen with Shara?

What about the Tinkers, aren't they supposed to be looking for a song about something?

Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks a bunch people; I'm looking forward to the next one!

Is Elaida really stupid?

I wouldn't say stupid, just egomaniacal. Some of it's Fain, some of it's Mesaana/BA influence, some of it's her. From her point of view, a novice was retaken, it's the Misstress of Novice's problem now.

I forget, it was something about slacking in her Wise One training. Elayne's fight isn't theirs and besides Rand is sending them to surround the Seanchan (Illian and Arad Doman).

Now that Mat is separated from Tuon, will he really go find the Aelfin and Eelfin? To what end?

Seemed pretty straightforward that's what he intends. To free Moiraine, of course.

Did the Forsaken cause some kind of rebellion in Seanchan?

Just Semi. She killed the Empress and the Court, things fell apart. Remember that there was sedition previously (something the totalitarian Seanchan do not tolerate from what we know about them), some of it is from Rand's visit to Western Seanchan in FoH.

Still in outside Tar Valon? Remember CoT lasted only a week, KoD picked up a week or two later and lasted maybe a month in what it covered.

Some of your questions are straightforwardly answered in the books, maybe you could use reread?

What about the Tinkers, aren't they supposed to be looking for a song about something?

I believe the song they're looking for was explained at some point. If it wasn't in the main books it was in the BWB. Anyway, I think the song they are searching for is the song they sang to try and stop one of the male Aes Sedai from destroying a city. They made a circle or arc or something and sang and the male Aes Sedai looked at them for a while then destroyed everything. Also, it could be some sort of reference to the tree singing that some people would do along with the Ogiers and Nyms. That may have been discredited when they heard Ogier treesinging and said that was not what they were looking for though.

The Aiel don't really care what happens to Caemlyn. Elayne kicked out the Aiel army that was trying to keep peace there, so it isn't their fight. Aviendha is a Wise One's apprentice, so naturally if Rand calls the Aiel away, Aviendha will have to go too. Besides, she wasn't really helping fight for Caemlyn anyway. She kept Elayne company more than anything.

Just what are the borderlanders planning on doing when they finally get out of Andor and talk to Rand?

Well, the Dragon Reborn is ignoring the nations bordering the Blight. I suspect they want to know just what the hell he thinks he's doing :P

Yes, to rescue Moiraine. Like Cybertrolloc said, it's pretty straightforward. ;)

He wants a truce with the Seanchan, and in CoT Rand finds out that the Seanchan are willing to do it, but they want Rand to meet with Tuon. That's why that short battle with Semirhage happened: she was posing as Tuon.

How does Rand fight off an entire army of trollocs and myrdrall, but lose his hand to Semirhage? I had a pretty omnipotent image of Rand going into this book, and taking damage from anybody was not something I expected.

Well, first of all, an army of trollocs and myrdrall can't shoot fireballs. And secondly, Rand would have dodged the fireball had Min not been standing behind him. I think it even says that in the narrative, although I could be imagining things. I'm sure he thinks his hand is a worthwhile price to pay for Min's life. Of course, I think the silly girl shouldn't have insisted on coming in the first place, but it's too late for that :P

I mean, why does a soldier today come home from war only to be killed a week later in a car crash? It sucks, but it happens. And anyway, Rand has been hurt by more mundane things than a Forsaken's fireball. He's still human, and thus could be brought down by a stray arrow. This is stressed to Rand by many characters.

Now that Perrin has FINALLY rescued Faile, what plotline will he resolve next; reunite the white tower, get rand and the seanchan together, bring Moiraine back by discovering a new wolf angreal?

The White Tower is Egwene's fight, and Rand doesn't really need Perrin's help to get with the Seanchan: both sides have long since agreed to a meeting. Mat is the one who will go after Moiraine. I think that Perrin will be on his way to finally bring Masema to Rand -- his original mission, afterall -- as soon as he wraps up any loose ends. However, I can see his storyline possibly merging with Galad's: Galad now controls a faction of the Whitecloaks, and has decided that helping the DR reach Tarmon Gaidon is the way to go.

Yes. It is all explained in her letter to Thom.

Are there any prophecies regarding Moiraine; through Min, tower angreal, or otherwise?

The only one I can think of at the moment is Min's viewing that Rand will fail without the help of a woman long dead, or something to that affect. I can't remember the exact wording, but most people agree that it refers to Moiraine.

Many people think that he is a darkfriend, or is under the thumb of one of the Forsaken. However, RJ has said that Taim is NOT Demandred.

There is a thread about this somewhere around here, if you're interested in discussing it. Some people say there must be more coming about them since surely TG would affect them as well, and others say that it is too late to get into a new culture in-depth.

Just what are the borderlanders planning on doing when they finally get out of Andor and talk to Rand?

I mostly hold with what Zardi said... at least to the effect that hat is what the borderlander want. I believe the Aes Sedai with them are darkfriends and when the meeting finally happens they will strike at Rand... hurting him for the second time and fufilling mins vision... i also think tenobia and bashere will die in that confrontation.

How does Rand fight off an entire army of trollocs and myrdrall, but lose his hand to Semirhage? I had a pretty omnipotent image of Rand going into this book, and taking damage from anybody was not something I expected.

He and LTT both reach for the source at the same time, and stop each other from touching it. There was little he could do rather then throw his hand out. If the fireball hadn't struck the Dragon Spear it likely would have killed him.

I agree wih Zardi... and say that he will find Rand with the borderlanders in the midst of the aforementioned situation and that will be the second time he saves Rand.

Is Elaida really stupid?

I hate Elaida, but I don't believe she's stupid. Just arrogant. She's arrogant because she doesn't think she can be deposed because her Foretelling told her that she would save the WT or something to that effect. And her arrogance causes her to do things that she thinks need to be done.

I don't think she'll be killed. Deposed, yes.

Will Egwene somehow find a remedy to combat her tea problem, and regain her channeling abilities?

I don't think there is a way to combat or remedy the effects of the tea. Most likely she will just be helped by one of the Aes Sedai that give her the tea, perhaps by lessening the strength of the tea, or just not giving it to her.

As said before, she was blamed for shirking her duties to the Wise Ones (she spent most of her time with Elayne) and since Rand ordered the Aiel out of Caemlyn, she went with them.

Just what are the borderlanders planning on doing when they finally get out of Andor and talk to Rand? I remember them being in a prologue of one of the books and it sounded pretty ominous, but why would they want to do anything to jeopordize the Final Battle?

I highly doubt they're going to do anything to jeopardize his chances in Tarmon Gai'don. If anything, they want to find him to help him because he hasn't approached them at all.

As said, the most likely scenario is that he will try to find them to both find Moiraine and because he believes that they can see what he does through a link created between him and them.

Semirhage killed off the Empress and the Court (as said before) in order to cause chaos in Seanchan (as well as place a Darkfriend on the throne).

What is the role of the Seanchan to be in the Final Battle?

No clue. Only speculation can give you an answer.

Not that anyone is aware of.

Perhaps, but I don't see what type of Golden Age you can be thinking of. They have it pretty good the way it is. The common theory is that Loial will somehow convince the Ogier to take place in Tarmon Gai'don.

Well considering Tuon really isn't the Daughter of the Nine Moons anymore, she's the Empress of Seanchan, he's prophesized to kneel before the Crystal Throne. So you figure out what that means.

How does Rand fight off an entire army of trollocs and myrdrall, but lose his hand to Semirhage?

I had a pretty omnipotent image of Rand going into this book, and taking damage from anybody was not something I expected.

You have the same view of Rand that he has of himself. He's only human. Trollocs and Myrddraal are easy to fight with the One Power because you can just smite them before they get near you. Fighting someone who can channel, especially when they surprise you, is much harder and much more dangerous. And as said before, he would've moved, but he felt he needed to protect Min.

I believe the same as Zardi believes. That he will do what he was originally sent out to do. Bring Masema to Rand. Or kill Masema (after all, Masema spread his madness to Aram and tried to get Aram to kill him).

Moiraine certainly seemed to think so in her letter to Thom.

Min had that viewing that was stated before. As well as Egwene Dreaming of a hand reaching into flames and pulling out Moiraine's blue stone thing she wore in her hair that dangled on her forehead. And I think there was one other, though I'm not sure.

The majority of people think he is a Darkfriend. Especially using a line like "Let the Lord of Chaos Rule" which was pretty much the signature note of the Chosen after Lord of Chaos (the book). That's the message the Great Lord gave to Demandred and the rest in aforementioned book.

And how bout Logain; he seemed pretty pissy as well?

Logain is pretty much considered the equivalent of a man who works for his own ends. He wants to get revenge for what was done to him and he is fated to have unimaginable glory. So he's the Champion of the Light for the Shadow's Taim.

Well I'm pretty sure he isn't dead. I don't even remember getting that impression. But perhaps I'm forgetting something. Remind me.

How much time passed in this book; 3 weeks?

Not exactly sure. A month maybe?

I do not believe so. In Lord of Chaos, when Graendal and Sammael are talking to eachother in Graendal's palace one or the other of the Chosen mentioned that he/she believed that Shara wasn't the main focus of the Great Lord in this world. They would get taken over by the Shadow just like everything else, but only after the place where we're focused on is taken over first as it's the focus in his/her mind. Shara will just get the tail whips of the hurricane that'll hit the mainland.

Yup. They're looking for a song. But what that song is, is beyond me. I think it's the song that they sung with the Nym and the Ogier when Rand was re-living his past lives as an Aiel.

I think you should re-read the book. Some things you asked are fairly obvious.

Will Egwene somehow find a remedy to combat her tea problem' date=' and regain her channeling abilities?

I don't think there is a way to combat or remedy the effects of the tea. Most likely she will just be helped by one of the Aes Sedai that give her the tea, perhaps by lessening the strength of the tea, or just not giving it to her.[/quote']

I think it'll happen on it's own--most of these yokels don't know about drug tolerance. Compare with Ny and Elayne's experiences though they're using a more concentrated form on Egwene (something to do with just attenuating her ability to channel while not leaving her in a stupor).

Egwene building a tolerance to it is possible, but I doubt it. I think what I said is more likely to happen as Egwene was setting the stage for a coup from within the Tower in KoD.

However, they weren't using a more concentrated version on her. They were using precisely measured amounts of the tea so that they would only lessen her ability to channel instead of knocking her out and making her useless.

So like a bag of tea left to brew would do to Egwene what happened to Elayne and Nynaeve, but they're feeding her tea left in the water long enough to only have a small amount of the tea seep into the water.

Not that anyone is aware of.

Perhaps' date=' but I don't see what type of Golden Age you can be thinking of. They have it pretty good the way it is. The common theory is that Loial will somehow convince the Ogier to take place in Tarmon Gai'don.[/quote']

Maybe 'golden age' is the wrong phrase; i'm just hoping that the seachan ogier reveal some kind of lost knowledge or history to loial's ogier at the great stummpp.

How does Rand fight off an entire army of trollocs and myrdrall' date=' but lose his hand to Semirhage?

I had a pretty omnipotent image of Rand going into this book, and taking damage from anybody was not something I expected.[/i']

You have the same view of Rand that he has of himself. He's only human. Trollocs and Myrddraal are easy to fight with the One Power because you can just smite them before they get near you. Fighting someone who can channel, especially when they surprise you, is much harder and much more dangerous. And as said before, he would've moved, but he felt he needed to protect Min.

Well, I for one am sick of seeing him getting mortally wounded in every 3rd book or so; and yet somehow being able to really wreck some people when he needs to.

Is Gawyn dead' date=' or just out of the picture?[/i']

Well I'm pretty sure he isn't dead. I don't even remember getting that impression. But perhaps I'm forgetting something. Remind me.

I seem to remember one of elaidas darker moments where she said something to the effect of "gawyn and his followers are disposable".

I really expected him to come to elayne's aid in camelyn, but even she seems to forget that she has a brother.

I do not believe so. In Lord of Chaos' date=' when Graendal and Sammael are talking to eachother in Graendal's palace one or the other of the Chosen mentioned that he/she believed that Shara wasn't the main focus of the Great Lord in this world. They would get taken over by the Shadow just like everything else, but only after the place where we're focused on is taken over first as it's the focus in his/her mind. Shara will just get the tail whips of the hurricane that'll hit the mainland.[/quote']

I'm hoping something happens. Like maybe the aelfinn and the eelfinn are the rulers; and the occupants are living hosts to the spirits of the heroes of legend or something. why they deal in silk and ivory though, i cant even begin to guess, it seems pretty random for a supersecretive civilization.

I think you should re-read the book. Some things you asked are fairly obvious.

Yeah, when the final final book comes out, i'm definitely going to re-read the series. i've definitely forgotten a lot, and there's so many prophecies and fortellings to keep track of.

one last question; Have we seen the last of Valan Luca and his annoying circus? I dunno about you guys, but that circus seems like the worst plot tool in the entire series.

This was probably the most enjoyable WOT book I've read in a while. None of the other recent books kept me as interested as this one did.

Is Elaida really stupid?

Yes. And petty and arrogant and delusional.

Hopefully both.

You know how drugs work. The more you take, the more of a resistance gets built up. Eventually, the tea is going to work less and less on her, and she'll be able to channel more and more. Someone has to know that you may have to adjust the dose to keep the prisoner properly sedated.

Because Aviendha has to get her turn to get pregnant by Rand.

No, Semirhage destroyed the Royal family which caused a civil war over the succession.

Why not? He took damage from Fain and Ishamael. He was hurt in a lot of battles.

My guess is that he will run into Galad and that will resolve Berelain's falling in love with a Man in White. Galad will aslo see that Morgase is alive. He'll probably live up to his vow that he'll fight alongside anyone who opposes the Shadow in Tarmon Gaidon. This should cause some strife as Dain Borhald and Jaret Byar are in Galad's company. Dain is outranked though, by Galad. Despite being a jerk, I think Bornhald's sense of duty and respect for Galad will probably put him on the path to some sort of redemption. He can't be totally blind to the fact that Perrin saved his skin in the Two Rivers, despite his prejudices. It's Byar who is a puzzle to me. He's a harsh man, with no social graces, but he follows orders. It's my guess that he's the dealbreaker for the situation. If Byar goes along with Galad, Dain Bornhald should relent and hold his peace.

This all could be happenening on their way to link up with the Borderland royalty in Murandy. Faile seeing her cousin, the Queen of Saldea, should be interesting. I have a feeling that Faile will lose most of her family in the Last Battle. Her interaction with Tenobia could set her up to be in line as the next Queen of Saldea. That's a stretch though. I think Manetheren is set to return from the ashes with Ghealdan being absorbed. Their link to Saldea would be a prosperous trade relationship linking North to South. It looks like a happy ending for Perrin.

Min said that Moiraine was the only vision that failed her. That cannot be, really. so my guess is that Moiraine is coming back for sure.

They're all in and around Altara right now from what I can tell. Really, all it takes is for an Aiel Chief to be willing to speak to a Madhi about the song they heard in Rhuidean. That's about as likely as the Tinkers all picking up swords though. Rand may be willing to speak about it if he had the time and the inclination to sing the words with Lews Therin's help. It's a shame Asmodean is dead. Pretty sure he'd know the words.

Guest Majsju
Rand may be willing to speak about it if he had the time and the inclination to sing the words with Lews Therin's help

That's assuming that Rand remembers more than "Hey, those guys sang a cool song."

And even if the Song would be found, it would be of little use. There are no Nym's, and I doubt the 4th Age will see the creation of more. And the Ogier seem to be ready to leave after TG. Without them it's just a song.

Is Elaida really stupid?

Yes, Yes she is, and I at least despise her.

She will eventually be deposed by Egwene assumably, but killed? I couldn't see it. I doubt RJ will kill her off.

Most likely the sisters will be persauded to her way of thinking and go against the tea instructions. After all, she is "planting seeds"

Again... to get her pregs by Rand, and to kill Graendil(sp)

They're just ticked off that Rand has been ignoring the defenders of the blightborder in his quest for allies. I mean, how would you feel if you've been defending all those squabilling southren lands for no rewards?

Yes. He made a promise. Probably to retrieve moiraine and spite the foxes and snakes, then show up in time for her to break Rand's "list of repeating names, duty is heavier than a mountain, I must become hard" ritual.

Did the Forsaken cause some kind of rebellion in Seanchan? What is the role of the Seanchan to be in the Final Battle?

The seanchan's royal family was killed by semirhage. Their role willprobably be fighting under the joint authority of Mat and Tuon.

Have seanchan Ogier visited any of the 'hometown' ogier? Not yet. They don't feel the longing after all.

doubt it. Ogeir will probably loose their longing again though.

Form a treaty.

Semirhage is a lot stronger than the army, plus she was a surprise, and against the army he had help.

Wolf angreal? no. probably leading his band of two rivers folks to meet up in a battle at the white or black towers.

Archived