DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

End of the Summer

Toy and Minion

Well that's always admirable, but...

There is just something that you can never communicate about the difference between dog people and cat people.

I mean, I could never really explain why I like cats more than dogs.  I mean, I just...connect with them more.  I don't know why; I just know that it's true.

The same with dog people.  They just connect more with dogs, and like them more, but there's not necessarily a real reason why they like them better.

I mean, I understand in my head all the reasons why dogs are "better" than cats.  I do.  Loyalty is a great thing, and the love and dedication dogs show is wonderful, and they're fun to play with too.

But I still just can't like them like I like cats. :)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it's actually a lot better because you can tailor your teaching methods to the kids, instead of the kids having to deal with the teaching methods.

The only problem is switching from one to the other.  I was in public school from preschool to freshman year.  I tried homeschooling my sophomore year, but it's just such a different way of doing things.  You have to be more self-motivated, something they seldom actually teach or enforce in high school.

And I know a lot of homeschool students end up preferring homeschool.  Also, every homeschool student I've ever met, who was raised being schooled at home, has been smarter and more knowledgeable than myself and our peers.

Most children do pick up on social skills in school; however, public school is not necessary; just other kids.

If you homeschool your kids, there are often activities sponsored by the local homeschool coordination office so that your kids grow up interacting with each other.

In our community, the homeschool kids I met got to interact with each other a lot.

My second thing is, school never helped my social skills.  Part of the reason I suffer from depression sometimes is because of my awful lack of social skills due to Nonverbal learning disorder.  I struggle with social cues like subtle body language and facial expressions, for example.  No one else in the school was like that, and it's so embarrassing when EVERYBODY understands something except for you.

I never got better through school, just more reclusive.

I've only improved through conscious effort to.

I'm not saying public school is BAD, but it's not all that people say it is either.

Archived