DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Inconsistency at the very beginning of EotW

bigWalt

I'm talking about Winternight in Emonds Field.  It is stated that people will be visiting back and forth with their neighbors, and that is what spoils the attack by the trollocs. When Finally Rand arrives pulling Tam on the litter he notices many people in their nightshirts which does not make sense if they were all out visiting or receiving guests.

I know it is a little thing that one likely only notices after the first read.

I'm talking about Winternight in Emonds Field.  It is stated that people will be visiting back and forth with their neighbors, and that is what spoils the attack by the trollocs. When Finally Rand arrives pulling Tam on the litter he notices many people in their nightshirts which does not make sense if they were all out visiting or receiving guests.

Visiting guests does not mean staying there for the night.

Do note that Emonds Field inhabitants are hard workers. They get up early, meaning they go to sleep early. The timing of the attacks seems possible.

I think what happened is this.

The Fade(s) scouted out the area and saw when everyone was turning in and going to sleep.

Fade didnt take into account, because he didnt know, that there was a holiday going on that would keep the townsfolk out later then normal.

So, the attack should have taken place well after everyone was in bed but since the party was going on late people were just starting to turn in when the attack came.

So instead of killing a bunch of people in bed they were fighting a bunch of people who had just changed into their pjs.

There's always some people who need to go to be early, even on a holiday. Or they could be like me, and put on jammies as soon as they get home from work.

Frankly, PJs - beyond being pure, unadulterated awesome - are so unlike the suits that I need to wear to work that it's supremely relaxing to wear them around after getting home.

What I'm really confused about is how that Myrrdraal's tactical sense went out the window. I can't really blame him for missing out that he's attacking on Christmas Eve or Easter or whatever, but I don't understand how he missed the Aes Sedai and the Warder, when one of his ravens was *standing right in front of them* on the village green.

I think a certain Private McRaven was into that al'Vere apple brandy instead of doing his job!  >:(

Well, Rand didn't arrive back in the village until the next morning.  We don't know exactly how late into the night the trollocs attacked Emonds Field.(As far as I can remember)  We know they attacked Rand's farm pretty soon after it turned dark, when they were cooking supper.  But it's very plausible that most of the town was done visiting, and in their beds when the attack started.

The other reason the attack failed is that many of the farm-folk were staying in Emmonds Field for the night. Rand and Tam planned to, but decided against it because of the Myrdraal citing and not wanting to leave the farm alone.

I totally forgot that!

Ignore that alcoholic raven, the Myrrdraals must have had a kegger the night before! Wow, they were dumb.

Archived