DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Galads change of charater?

Moorz

Galad's stiff upper lip and insistence on doing everyting above board regardless of the consequences to himself or others has been an irritation to say the least for me....but at least it was his consitant character trait.

During the swordfight with Valda I think Galad does something out of character. He pretends to be out of breath. He pretends to be more hurt than he actually is. Is this not a lie? A deception? I think so and this is totally out of character for Galad.

He challenged Valda based on Valda killing Morgase. Valda then tells him that he didn't kill his mother but that she was a great ride and she was alive last time he saw her.

We don't get any sort of reaction from Galad's PoV at the news that Valda didn't kill her - just "rode" her. Again it's odd and is it out of charater - not evne to have a private reflection on it..

i agree JenLenaMom  ;D

and also don't forget the tips Galad was given before the fight that Valda likes to use speed and distance to bleed his opponents till they weaken then move in for the kill, and that he favored striking the left hand side of an opponent. mean while Galad was taught to end a fight in quick and clean matter.

than Galad's thoughts " he was not focused on Valda's death. he focused on nothing. but he intended Valda's death if he had to Sheathe the Sword, willingly  welcoming that heron-marked blade in his flesh, to achieve it. he accepted that it might come to that"

that after the initial clash Valda has but one scratch while Galad has multiple wounds

than when Galad wins " he had thought he would feel satisfaction that his mother was avenged, but all he felt was emptiness.Valda's death was not enough. nothing except Morgase Trakand being alive could be enough"

he was in a fight for justice and truth he used tatics as he was taught, if he charged forward and all straight laced he would be dead. he was honor bound to his mother ( whom he thought had been tortured and killed by Valda )

so what was the greater truth, justice for his mother or faking out an opponent?

He challenged Valda based on Valda killing Morgase. Valda then tells him that he didn't kill his mother but that she was a great ride and she was alive last time he saw her.

We don't get any sort of reaction from Galad's PoV at the news that Valda didn't kill her - just "rode" her. Again it's odd and is it out of charater - not evne to have a private reflection on it..

well don't forget he was in the oneness , using the flame and void technique as Rand uses, he  was focused for the fight and yet Dain comments that Galad's face became murderous so he did have a response but held it in control because if he didn't he would be dead.

He challenged him for both rape and murder, actually.

“Eamon Valda, Child of the Light, I call you to Trial Beneath the Light for unlawful assault on the person of Morgase Trakand, Queen of Andor, and for her murder.” No one had been able to confirm that the woman he regarded as his mother was dead, yet it must be so. A dozen men were certain she had vanished from the Fortress of the Light before it fell to the Seanchan, and as many testified she had not been free to leave of her own will.

The rape is the true charge -- he knows it is true; it has been confessed by Jaret Byar and Dain Bornhald. He believes the latter as well, though. Valda even admits the rape but denies the killing when they are talking alone.

His smile was all contempt, this time. “Nothing to say, boy? Small wonder considering that a blademaster is going to cut your head off in about one minute. I want one thing straight in your mind before I kill you, though. The wench was hale the last I saw her, and if she’s dead now, I’ll regret it.” That smile deepened, both in humor and disdain. “She was the best ride I ever had, and I hope to ride her again one day.”

Well researched and proven point Dan.

The more I think about it the more maybe pretending to be out of breath is a tactic rather than a deception.

Sheathing The Sword is a tactic also. I see this as a slighlty less than honorable tactic but if it's accepted enough that it has its own name (and Lan is for it) then I guess why can't pretending to be tired. It needs its own fancy name 'though!!

Sheathing The Sword is a tactic also. I see this as a slighlty less than honorable tactic but if it's accepted enough that it has its own name (and Lan is for it) then I guess why can't pretending to be tired. It needs its own fancy name 'though!!

How is Sheathing the Sword a slightly less than honorable tactic?  If I understand it correctly, and someone correct me on this if I am mistaken, it is a precise stance that allows you to strike your opponent without him/her being able to defend or dodge. The price of this guarantied killing blow is that you leave yourself totally exposed. There is no deception in it at all.  The use of this is only when what you are fighting for is worth giving your life for. Forgive me but I can not seem to find the reference to Lan's teaching and description, I know it is in TDR because he uses it in the battle at the end of the book, but I believe that is the gist of what he said.

How is Sheathing the Sword a slightly less than honorable tactic?  If I understand it correctly, and someone correct me on this if I am mistaken, it is a precise stance that allows you to strike your opponent without him/her being able to defend or dodge. The price of this guarantied killing blow is that you leave yourself totally exposed. There is no deception in it at all.  The use of this is only when what you are fighting for is worth giving your life for. Forgive me but I can not seem to find the reference to Lan's teaching and description, I know it is in TDR because he uses it in the battle at the end of the book, but I believe that is the gist of what he said.

It's in TGH not TDR.

Lan talks about Sheathing the Sword in tGH chap 9 page 147

the way he talks of it, it is a very honorable technique

and than u have Ingtar chap 46 page 654 " it is every man's right to choose when to Sheath the Sword. Even one like me"

Yes, you are right.  I remembered the book, grabbed it and looked through chapter one where they are fighting on the roof and thought i would find it there, but named it wrong. There are so many and I always get the names messed up.

Archived