DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

So I was looking around the Wheel of Time Theoryland....

Inveli

Do you believe this prediction?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe this prediction?

• Agree
    • Disagree

....when I found this.

Mat will lose an eye, either in the Last Battle or in the Tower of Ghenji. I believe this as Egwene Dreams him putting his eye on the scale, and the prediction that he will "give up half the light of the world" in order to save it. I take this to mean that he will lose his eye in order to save the world. I also believe that Mat bears some stark similarities to the Norse god Odin:

-Odin was known as the "Father of Battles" whilst Mat as the "son of battles.

-Both are known gamblers

-Both wear wide brimmed hats and carry spears

-Mat's spear has two ravens on it, Odin had two ravens Huggin and Munnin who each day told him the news of the Earth

-Huggin and Munnin means "thought and memory" in norse wythology, Mat's raven-marked spear is inscribed with "Thought is the arrow of time, memory never fades.

-Both Odin and Mat were hanged upon "Tree's of Life", Odin upon Yggdrasil and Mat Avendesora in order to achieve knowledge

-Odin only had one eye as he sacrificed his eye to gain knowledge of the all time and see how to win ragnarok (nose final battle and end of the world) and I believe that Mat will do something similar.

I believe that the similarities between Mat and Odin exist, although I could be wrong. But this prediction seems to hold true to the prophesies and my percieved ideas of the similarities between Mat and Odin.

Please post any opinions.

Other threads have discussed this.

To me there are two possibilities::

-Mat literally loosing one eye

-Mat going blind in one eye

With our current information, the actual outcome could be either; but we cannot be certain on which one right now.

With our current information, the actual outcome could be either; but we cannot be certain on which one right now.

So, I guess I was too late, huh?  :(

Given the blood running down his face in Egwene's dream I'd say there is more support for the full on loosing an eye.

I think he will lose his eye in rescuing Moiraine. Rand needs Moiraine in order to win the Last Battle and by saving Moiraine and losing an eye, he "gives up half the light of the world in order to save the world". It could be part of a bargain he makes in order to get Moiraine away from the Finns or it could be his punishment from them for taking Moiraine.

too late in what way?

It has been awhile since the other threads discussed this.

And this thread is the first with a poll on it.

That's a good way to look at it. Thanks! I'll remember that.

Given the blood running down his face in Egwene's dream I'd say there is more support for the full on loosing an eye.

The Dream does not mention blood.  The Dream implying blood seems doubtful.

Moiraine's rescue seems doubtful for the event (loosing eye or going blind) to occur.

There was a Dream involving Mat where the world is affected (choice of 2 Aes Sedia). (Path of Daggers Chapter 15)  It seems to me that the event would happen then.

Seems like the books disagrees.

TFOH: ...Mat throwing dice with blood streaming down his face, the wide brim of his hat pulled down low so she could not see his wound

If we combine all the clues from dreams of Mat and his eye, with the influences his character has from Norse religion, it is pretty much impossible for Mat to not lose an eye during the rescue of Moiraine. 2+2=4 in the world of WOT as well.

too late in what way?

It has been awhile since the other threads discussed this.

And this thread is the first with a poll on it.

And the fact that the new book draws near along with Jasons review inspire us to look at old subjects again. I reckon he will forfeit the sight of one eye in order to get himself, Thom and Moiraine (and Noal, depending on how his part plays out) out of the ToG. I will probably get hammered for this, but I hope we do NOT see the events at the ToG until the next book. I am expecting a lot from that part of the story, and I dont want it to be drowned by the fact that TGS is the first Rand book in a while.

TFOH: ...Mat throwing dice with blood streaming down his face, the wide brim of his hat pulled down low so she could not see his wound

If we combine all the clues from dreams of Mat and his eye, with the influences his character has from Norse religion, it is pretty much impossible for Mat to not lose an eye during the rescue of Moiraine. 2+2=4 in the world of WOT as well.

The only Dream that mentions Mat's eye is the one in Dragon Reborn Chapter 25.

The wound could come from any number of things; it being from a missing eye is uncertain right now.

Also, there is not any other prediction in the books that explicitly connects this dream to any of the others.

The choice of 2 Aes Sedia seems more probable since from it & the Aelfinn prediction the world is affected.

The only Dream that mentions Mat's eye is the one in Dragon Reborn Chapter 25.

The wound could come from any number of things; it being from a missing eye is uncertain right now.

Also, there is not any other prediction in the books that explicitly connects this dream to any of the others.

The choice of 2 Aes Sedia seems more probable since from it & the Aelfinn prediction the world is affected.

mb, if you'll look you'll see that all I said was that we have more to suggest a full on losing of the eye than him being blinded because of that dream. I never said it definately meant he'd lose an eye, just that there was more chance of it because of that dream.

But, as for your point, there are tonnes of prophecies about Rand's death with no other prophecy existing to specifically link them all, but we can still take them to be related.

Mat's gonna have something happen to his eye, and Mat's going to suffer a terrible wound somewhere the brim of his hat hides--it is not a huge leap to suggest that they are the same injury.

All signs point towards Mat losing an eye. The Finn prophecy, "Give up half the light of the world to save the world," Egwene's dream of a wound on his face, and Mat's similarities with Odin (Odin gave up one of his eyes for knowledge).

However, I have two problems with it. 1). It'd be too obvious of a connection with Odin. Then again Rand lost a hand, Mat might lose an eye, what about Perrin? 2). How are Mat's eyes the light of the world?Is he more important than previously thought? Rand is the Dragon Reborn, Perrin the Wolf King, and Mat was the Hornsounder but maybe more.

All signs point towards Mat losing an eye. The Finn prophecy, "Give up half the light of the world to save the world," Egwene's dream of a wound on his face, and Mat's similarities with Odin (Odin gave up one of his eyes for knowledge).

However, I have two problems with it. 1). It'd be too obvious of a connection with Odin. Then again Rand lost a hand, Mat might lose an eye, what about Perrin? 2). How are Mat's eyes the light of the world?Is he more important than previously thought? Rand is the Dragon Reborn, Perrin the Wolf King, and Mat was the Hornsounder but maybe more.

Because when you lose an eye, you only see half of the world around you.

Because when you lose an eye, you only see half of the world around you.
Given the amount of overlap in your vision, while there is some loss of peripheral vision, you do not lose half your field of vision. So you see about as much as you did before, just most of it you see once rather than twice.

Well, you do see half of what you used to.
No, you don't. You still see most of what you saw before. Close one eye. How much less do you see now? Presumably, as you're reading this, your computer screen is in front of you. Now, while you lose a bit at the edges, what is right in front of you was seen by both eyes, so you still see it. So you have not lost half.

No, you don't. You still see most of what you saw before. Close one eye. How much less do you see now? Presumably, as you're reading this, your computer screen is in front of you. Now, while you lose a bit at the edges, what is right in front of you was seen by both eyes, so you still see it. So you have not lost half.

Hmmm but... There's a certain amount of light entering one eye and with both eyes open there's a similar amount entering the other eye. Close one eye. There's now half the amount of light entering your skull. Assuming we're talking about light moving as a particle that is.

But, as for your point, there are tonnes of prophecies about Rand's death with no other prophecy existing to specifically link them all, but we can still take them to be related.

Actually, Rand's death connects/links them.

You do see half of what you normally do. The fact that your eyes are normally focused enough that you don't see double means nothing. In fact, part of your depth perception relies on seeing objects twice.

In any case, the question is completely irrelevant with regards to the Aelfinn prophecy; it doesn't speak of vision, but of "light". With only one eye, you receive half as much light as you do with two.

Archived