DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

One Hit Wonders - It's A Knockout (Winner: Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas)

Corki

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Round 1, Tie 1

Because I Got High by Afroman

This song got nominated for a Grammy Award in 2001, where it achieved good chart success, with a number 1 in the UK and a host of other countries. It is all about how cannabis use is degrading his quality of life. Despite an obscure start, an internet and a radio show campaign led to success for the song.

WARNING: Does contain offensive language

vs.

Eye of the Tiger by Survivor

The song was written at the request of Sylvester Stallone for the film Rocky III in 1982. It topped the US Billboard for 6 weeks, as well as reaching number 1 in the UK, Ireland and Australia. It won a Grammy Award, and was also nominated for an Academy Award. It is a popular song, with many artists covering it as well as numerous parodies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qJFJJUsE_A

Voting ends Thursday 20th August 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

I really do not know how to vote here for I like Afroman due to the comic value and Eye of the Tiger as it is a classic. For now, I am going to think on this a bit more before casting my vote.

Round 2, Tie 1

Mad World by Michael Andrew featuring Gary Jules

The original was by Tears for Fears. However, a slower, ballady version of the song made it more popular. This was done by Michael Andrew and Gary Jules, and featured on the film soundtrack for Donnie Darko. It was also the Christmas number 1 in the UK in 2003.

vs.

Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas

Released in 1974, this is probably one of the greatest "One Hit Wonders" ever, with the song featuring in many lists on the topic. The song also is famous for its use of the quintessential Oriental Riff, a short musical phrase that is used to signify Chinese culture. This is just pure fun, and an absolute classic!

Voting ends Friday 21st August 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived