DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

One Hit Wonders - It's A Knockout (Winner: Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas)

Corki

Round 1, Tie 4

Spaceman by Babylon Zoo

This song went straight to number 1 in the UK in 1996. It is known for its heavily distorted guitars and metallic, robotic-sounding vocals. At the time, it also happened to be the fastest selling single by a debut artist in the UK.

vs.

Mad World by Michael Andrew featuring Gary Jules

The original was by Tears for Fears. However, a slower, ballady version of the song made it more popular. This was done by Michael Andrew and Gary Jules, and featured on the film soundtrack for Donnie Darko. It was also the Christmas number 1 in the UK in 2003.

Voting ends Sunday 16th August 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because it is a tie, I get to make the deciding vote! And I am sticking to my original vote of Gary Jules, Michael Andrew and Mad World.

As a result, Mad World wins 3-2 and progresses to Round 2.

Time for the 5th tie of the 1st Round.

Round 1, Tie 5

Fire by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Released in 1968, this is an example of the psychedelic rock of the period, but the lack of guitars distinguishes it from many of its contemporaries. During live performances and in the black and white promotional television clip, Brown performed the song wearing a burning helmet. It reached number 1 in the UK, and charted well in the US, reaching number 2.

vs.

Sugar Sugar by The Archies

A pop song written by Jeff Barry and Andy Kim, it spent 4 weeks at the top of the US charts in 1969, as well as 8 weeks in the UK. It is considered as the canonical example of the bubblegum pop musical genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BORbFsNjGAk

Voting ends Monday 17th August 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 1, Tie 6

The One and Only by Chesney Hawkes

This song spent 5 weeks at the top of the UK charts in March 1991. The song did better than the original film it appeared on - Buddy's Song. The song also was successful in the US a few months later, reaching number 10 on the US Billboard. This was down to the fact it appeared on the film Doc Hollywood, starring Micheal J. Fox. I have actually seen Chesney Hawkes DJ live - he was the headliner at my university Summer Ball a few years back. Sad, I know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_r0oQE5jEU

vs.

I'm The Urban Spaceman by The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band

Firstly, what an awesome name for a group. Secondly, the song reached number 5 in the UK charts in 1968. The song was produced by Sir Paul McCartney and written by Neil Innes, who won the 1968 Ivor Novello Award.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbLDI5lNdRQ

Voting ends Tuesday 18th August 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

A narrow 3-2 victory for The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band despite being pushed by Chesney Hawkes. The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band progress to the 2nd Round of the contest.

It is now time for the 7th tie of the 1st Round.

Round 1, Tie 7

Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas

Released in 1974, this is probably one of the greatest "One Hit Wonders" ever, with the song featuring in many lists on the topic. The song also is famous for its use of the quintessential Oriental Riff, a short musical phrase that is used to signify Chinese culture. This is just pure fun, and an absolute classic!

vs.

All By Myself by Eric Carmen

This is a power ballad from 1975, but ran into trouble with the estate of the classical composer Sergei Rachmaninoff, as the song borrow heavily from Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Opus 18. The song got reasonable success in the charts, but it was more successful for other singers later, like Frank Sinatra and Céline Dion.

Voting ends Wednesday 19th August 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived