DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

For the love of god...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Majsju

Hey! The U is your friend. It's rumour, not rumor, behaviour, not behavior, favour, not favor, and so on. Be nice to your U.

And shouldn't all keyboards be made without caps lock? I hate that function.

Actually, it'd just be a lot easier, if like Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and Arabic, etc. English had only one system of writing, as opposed to Capitals looking one way and lower-case letters looking another.

That's not the main reason I love Asian languages, but it's one of the reasons! :P

And Mia - I love you like a loving thing, too. But, sometimes English could stand to cut off some of it's more superfluous letters and apostrophes! *huggles*

Yeah, I guess, but then you have words like 'superfluous' to remind you exactly why English is such an awesome language. I mean, seriously, superfluous. Say it out loud a couple times. It has such a nice ring to it. *g*

I can completely understand Mother and Mia. I'm a grammar and spelling freak, and I hate typos. I always fix my typos before I post too!

I feel like I have to use emoticons sometimes because people would not otherwise know my "tone of voice." Otherwise, people might think I'm being flirty when I'm joking, mean when I'm sarcastic, and all kinds of other embarassing mishaps.

lol, Danya, you hate emotes yet you're using them... :P

I kind of figured Kath didn't like smilies. I can really tell she's forcing it when she does this kind of smiley... =) Hahahhaa...

I like em I guess... they're fun and help give the "emotion" (wonder why they're called emoticons :P ) I'm trying to get across which can be hard on the internet sometimes. Pretty much what Dwynwen said... :)

Actually, Jhae has the most awesome smileys! You should see them on the Blue boards when she puts them up. I've stolen one from her actually. (The spanky one I used on all the novices I penanced! Lol!!)

Anyway - yea, Jhae - you're the best!! *hugs*

The way I've always thought of it is, "If you don't care enough to make your posts readable, then why should I care enough to read them?"

Putting in apostrophes, spelling things correctly, using periods and capitals where needed, these things all make your posts easier to read. If I'm pressed for time, or feeling lazy, I will skip posts that aren't formatted correctly. I'm not a grammar nazi, obviously, but I do try to make things readable for you.

If I'm pressed for time, or feeling lazy, I will skip posts that aren't formatted correctly.

I do the same thing. If it just isn't capitalized, then that isn't so bad. It's at least still readable. But once people start leaving out punctuation, or it strats 2 lok liek dis omg LOLz!!!1....forget it. It's just not worth the effort :P

Where's Northie so she can give us a great example of what not to do?? *lol*

I know no one's spelling and grammar can be perfect all the time. But it's nice when the effort is made. It makes it easier for everyone- There are some people here for whom, English is their second language! They probably won't get most of the abbreviations at first! It's just common courtesy to try as hard as possible to make your posts legible. :)

Yes, Eenglish ees not my first.. how do you say.. language, and so I find it very hard to read your.. what is the word.. abbreviations.

*grins* Seriously, though. Nia has a point, and as someone who's had to learn English through a lot of mistakes, I can attest to the fact that sometimes the most obvious things can be misinterpreted. And sometimes just because you find something very obvious, that doesn't mean someone else will. Especially in a written forum like this is. Stuff can be misunderstood, and if your spelling is crap, then it just becomes that much harder.

Mia, for someone that English isn't their first language, you're way better than most English speaking people around here... hahaha.

Danya, maybe I'm confusing emotes/smilies with the RP type stuff like *smiles* and *hugs* I meant the little faces. You use them in most of your posts at the end of a paragraph usually... which is what I do a lot of the time... :)

lol, and thanks Charis... use em all you want. I stole them from places all over when I was searching for good ones... haha. And you're more bestest than I am! (I did that bad English on purpose before ppl jump on me). *hugs*

Edit: BTW, Charis has a good Hello Kitty she put on my MySpace... hahahahaa... just teasing... I'm not even sure if it's really doing what I said, it just looked like it and I found it really funny (wasn't offended or anything). *grins*

Archived