DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The "Lose lots of points game" trial: ROUND SIX!!! First casualty!

cosmicpanda

Thought it through some more:

Point Auctions: Poker Without Cards

The Big Picture:

Each game is divided into multiple rounds.

Each player has the same total amount of points that they're not allowed to exceed. This is decided and kept-track of by the game moderator. One game might have a total of 100 points, while another might have 500. Players pay this amount plus 10% to the moderator at the start of the game, and these points are deducted from the points page.

If a player exceeds this amount of points during the game, because of winnings, then the excess is deducted from their total points and added to the points page.

If a player runs out of points, then they are out of the game and have lost all of their points. The last person remaining is the winner.

Rounds:

Each round consists of two steps:

1) Haggling. Any player may submit a nominal amount of points to be used in the round. Players then vote on the nominal amount that they prefer, to be decided by a simple majority. If there are only two people left, then the lowest amount wins.

2) Bidding. Each player submits a bid to the mod by PM. The mod will deduct each bid from the total points. The player with the highest bid wins the round and wins their points back, and all of the points that the other players bid.  The bid may not be higher than the nominal amount, or lower than 10% of the nominal amount. If a player cannot make the minimum bid, then they're out. If two players both bid the same amount, then their bids are thrown out and they lose the round (and their points).

After each round, the total points are updated. The Mod keeps track of these privately, so that players may bluff in the thread.

(The obvious strategy is to bid as high as possible. This is why the 'if two players both bid the same amount, then their bids are thrown out' rule is there - to prevent players from bidding the nominal amount each time. This leads to a bit of a bluffing game, where people try to vote high but not so high that bids coincide and votes get thrown out.)

Sign up here. Since it's a trial, I'll let everyone start with 500 fake-points. This won't affect your real points.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, we have a player list of Far, Gerr, Edie and Dragonsworn! Empy, do you want to play? If anyone else wants to play as well, I might start another game.

This game has a total of 500 fake-points each. If you exceed 500 points, I will deduct the excess from your total, like I would in a real game. If you lose all of your points, then you have been eliminated from the game.

Here's what must happen now:

1) Haggling. Any player may submit a nominal amount of points to be used in the round. Players then vote on the nominal amount that they prefer, to be decided by a simple majority. If there are only two people left, then the lowest amount wins.

2) Bidding. Each player submits a bid to the mod by PM. The mod will deduct each bid from the total points. The player with the highest bid wins the round and wins their points back, and all of the points that the other players bid.  The bid may not be higher than the nominal amount, or lower than 10% of the nominal amount. If a player cannot make the minimum bid, then they're out. If two players both bid the same amount, then their bids are thrown out and they lose the round (and their points).

Begin the haggling for a nominal amount! This will affect how much you can bid. You have 24 hours to decide on a nominal amount.

Post your proposals for the nominal number in the thread. I'll keep track of them like so:

21: (dragonsworn)

You can change your mind at any time until a majority is reached. My only thought is that with 500 points to play with, 21 points seems a bit low. There's no reason not to use that number, though!  ;D

Okay fine, Empy's in this game too now  :D

I'll try to explain: the point of this game is that you try to risk (bid) the largest amount of points possible. If you do, you win the round and win all of the points that everyone else risked.

As you have 500 points to last you through the whole game, though, you have to balance the risks that you take with staying in the game.

Right now, you're haggling to determine the cap (nominal amount) on points that you can bid. This is slightly irrelevant in the first round (and I might change this in future games), but in later rounds it becomes more relevant as people will have different numbers of points.

There has to be a cap, else the person with the most points will win every time. This way, the whole group gets a say in how much can be bid, and it calls upon your persuasion skills.

Nominations:

121: dragonsworn

122: Empy

Archived