DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Half the light of the world?

Personally I believe the theory that Mat will give up an eye to Rand. Rand looks to be losing his sight all together. AFAIK the OP cannot be used unless the channeler can see the flows.

Actually, RJ said a blind person can channel.  The flows have a feel or taste about them...maybe it was a scent.  That's on his blog somewhere here on Dragonmount.

Yeah and at one point Cadsuane says something about how men always think they have to see the flows which, of course means they do, maybe thats what she teaches them, and on that note what will she teach them?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
does sort of make sense but how would that actually work, i couldn't give you an eye even if i wanted to you know

Mat figured out already that the Finns hung him because he didnt name a price to pay. It wont take him long to realise he is willing to give up an eye to save Moiraine. He just needs to offer it to the Finns in order for him and the group to get back out.

Mat figured out already that the Finns hung him because he didnt name a price to pay. It wont take him long to realise he is willing to give up an eye to save Moiraine. He just needs to offer it to the Finns in order for him and the group to get back out.

yeah that makes a lot more sense but they were saying that he was going to give his eye to rand and that really doesn't you know what i mean. Unless as has been stated Nynny can make it work

I dunno - I'm not convinced on this losing one eye business.  Don't you still see the same amount of light with one eye or two?  I'm no ophthalmologist but this doesn't seem right to me.

Technically, no. You still see the same light spectrum, you'd just have issues with depth perception. However the metaphor works--and we have seperate prophecies that speak of Mat losing an eye. Egwene's dream of Mat placing his eye on a balancing scale, for instance. Or Mat throwing dice with blood streaming down his face, though his hat is pulled low so Egwene can't see the wound.

Personally I believe the theory that Mat will give up an eye to Rand. Rand looks to be losing his sight all together. AFAIK the OP cannot be used unless the channeler can see the flows. No better way for Mat "to give up half the light of the world to save the world" than to bring back the DR sight so he can fight TG.

Except Egwene's dream of Mat placing his eye on a balancing scale. That suggests that he loses his eye as a result of a payment or exchange of some form. Giving Rand his eye doesn't really apply to that--Rand wouldn't need to barter for Mat's eye. The one of Mat playing dice with blood streaming down his face too seems to speak of some barter--some game. This does not work with it being Rand--it does if say the loss of the eye has to do with saving Moiraine. The Finn are barterers.

Btw I don't think I've seen that theory before--is it yours, or someone elses?

But as to the actually issue, Nynaeve does not have the skill to do a transplant--the nessesary allignment of nerves and blood vessels are beyond her--she does such things instinctively, transplanting would require specific finesse and control.

Yeah and at one point Cadsuane says something about how men always think they have to see the flows which, of course means they do, maybe thats what she teaches them, and on that note what will she teach them?

That was Toveine, not Cadsuane--and it took place when Logain and his fellows captured her group. Thats why she commanded the Aes Sedai to flee, because she thought once they were out of sight the shields would fail. They did not.

Rand, also, has displayed no signs of this blocking. We even see him weave beyond his own sight in tSR when he spews lightning through the Stone of Tear. And Cadsuane's lessons will involve being human and being emotionally mature.

That was Toveine, not Cadsuane--and it took place when Logain and his fellows captured her group. Thats why she commanded the Aes Sedai to flee, because she thought once they were out of sight the shields would fail. They did not.

Yeah thanks i remember now, i just read it yesterday as well, oh and that whole game, i reckon he might get into a game of dice or gamble with the finns and they'll be like you can have moiraine back if you beat us at dice and you have to give us a body part each time you lose, we'll start with your eyes. Likely?

Btw I don't think I've seen that theory before--is it yours, or someone elses?
I don't remember where I first read it. I think it was on the newsgroup shortly after KoD came out.

Except Egwene's dream of Mat placing his eye on a balancing scale. That suggests that he loses his eye as a result of a payment or exchange of some form. Giving Rand his eye doesn't really apply to that--Rand wouldn't need to barter for Mat's eye. The one of Mat playing dice with blood streaming down his face too seems to speak of some barter--some game. This does not work with it being Rand--it does if say the loss of the eye has to do with saving Moiraine. The Finn are barterers.

Or it means that he has to make the decision after weighing in on all the options; his eye on one side of the scale and the fate of the world on the other. I don't see him making this big of a sacrifice just to save Moiraine.

But as to the actually issue, Nynaeve does not have the skill to do a transplant--the nessesary allignment of nerves and blood vessels are beyond her--she does such things instinctively, transplanting would require specific finesse and control.

I don't see this as a valid excuse as the channelers of this age are constantly picking up new weaves and skills that were considered long dead or even impossible.

Or it means that he has to make the decision after weighing in on all the options; his eye on one side of the scale and the fate of the world on the other. I don't see him making this big of a sacrifice just to save Moiraine.

Why not? He has a strong sense of honour. Moiraine saved his life several times. And we have it directly stated by Min that Rand needs Moiraine in order to win.

I don't see this as a valid excuse as the channelers of this age are constantly picking up new weaves and skills that were considered long dead or even impossible.

We arn't speaking of things long dead, or newly discovered. To conduct a transplant requires a detailed knowledge of the way nerves and tissue interact, which Nynaeve does not have.

Consider it like this--Nynaeve's abilities allow her to heal what's damaged, but she can't replace whats gone (like Rand's hand) because she doesn't actually understand how they work. She doesn't know the exact nervous structure, or bone structure. She uses the power to encourage what is already there to re-assume their natural state.

A transplant would require her to have specific knowledge of how each nerve interacts--how each muscle, each cell... without that knowledge she would not be able to fit the eye in. She might heal an eye into the socket, but it would be useless.

Why not? Have you got something against one eyed people?
Yeah man i just hate those 'oneys'
The feeling is mutual.
Could this be a clue that Mr Ares has only one eye?
Yes.

Why not? He has a strong sense of honour. Moiraine saved his life several times. And we have it directly stated by Min that Rand needs Moiraine in order to win.

That is true. He has shown it time and time again although usually with some hesitation. I hope at least this time the Aes Sedei he is rescueing shows some gratitude afterwards.

We arn't speaking of things long dead, or newly discovered. To conduct a transplant requires a detailed knowledge of the way nerves and tissue interact, which Nynaeve does not have.

Consider it like this--Nynaeve's abilities allow her to heal what's damaged, but she can't replace whats gone (like Rand's hand) because she doesn't actually understand how they work. She doesn't know the exact nervous structure, or bone structure. She uses the power to encourage what is already there to re-assume their natural state.

A transplant would require her to have specific knowledge of how each nerve interacts--how each muscle, each cell... without that knowledge she would not be able to fit the eye in. She might heal an eye into the socket, but it would be useless.

Good point.

Something else that I just thought of that doesn't pass the "smell test" if this theory were correct. Why would it have to be Mat that sacrificed an eye to Rand? There are a thousand other people, even someone recently killed, who could provide the organ without gimping Rand's best general.

Based on the continuing reliance on myth that RJ has shown through the series, Mat losing an eye is about the only good way to explain "losing half the light of the world."  And if he stays true to the story of the Norse All-Father Odin giving up his eye--Mat will have to sacrifice his eye for some kind of wisdom.  This falls right into place with Rand losing a hand a la Tyr/Tiu.  My siser has always claimed that the Norse triad of Odin, Tyr, and Thor are present in Mat, Rand, and Perrin--but I always argue that, aside from the hammer, I can't see anything of Thor in Perrin.

Anyway, if Mat goes to Finnland and is asked what price he is willing to pay, giving up an eye would suit nicely with the Odin-analogy since the main gift the Finns can give is knowledge.

You guys do know that the body has a blueprint thingie and I do believe they've successfully regrown parts of fingers in humans, and more in other animals, and so it's literally the exact same thing they do with the healing normally, but we'll just have to assume that's just one of the funky things that requires a different weave, or perhaps is limited by some sort of phantom limb mental effect.

While i consider that it is mostly likely that Mat gives his eye to rescue Moiraine, you do have to remember that Semirhage just had an a'dam placed around her neck. Since she was the greatest restorer (ie, yellow aes sedai) of the age of legends, fixing up Rand eyeball's and regrowing his hand probably isn't beyond her abilities. For some reason, I have a feeling that a couple pages of The Gathering Storm will contain Nynaeve and Flinn squeezing Semirhage for healing knowledge.

Does no one else agree that it would be great if in TG it was discovered that Mat could channel and not only could he channel but he was ridiculously strong, he could channel and the entirety of saidin and so in an effort to defeat the DO he does just that and that is how the bore is sealed properly. I mean clearly this can't happen for numerous reasons but it would still be brilliant.

Agree?

I don't see why Mat has to channel. Rand's been able to cleanse the entirety of Saidin. Tuon is supposed to be dangerous to Rand and Alivia is supposed to help him die. Perhaps Mat has to aid them in this to prevent Rand from breaking the world or carry Rand holding saidin into the Pit of Doom to stop the Dark One.

Based on the continuing reliance on myth that RJ has shown through the series, Mat losing an eye is about the only good way to explain "losing half the light of the world."  And if he stays true to the story of the Norse All-Father Odin giving up his eye--Mat will have to sacrifice his eye for some kind of wisdom.  This falls right into place with Rand losing a hand a la Tyr/Tiu.  My siser has always claimed that the Norse triad of Odin, Tyr, and Thor are present in Mat, Rand, and Perrin--but I always argue that, aside from the hammer, I can't see anything of Thor in Perrin.

Anyway, if Mat goes to Finnland and is asked what price he is willing to pay, giving up an eye would suit nicely with the Odin-analogy since the main gift the Finns can give is knowledge.

wow that makes perfect sense... never realised that before. You do know that Odin is not only supposed to be one eyed, but is also associated with ravens and spears. Thats quite a coincidence.

wow that makes perfect sense... never realised that before. You do know that Odin is not only supposed to be one eyed, but is also associated with ravens and spears. Thats quite a coincidence.
Odin also had a hat, but none of that is coincidence - RJ "reverse engineered" some of our myths to show what they grew from. We also see examples of their myths, rooted in our time. It's intentional.

Odin also had a hat, but none of that is coincidence - RJ "reverse engineered" some of our myths to show what they grew from. We also see examples of their myths, rooted in our time. It's intentional.

Yeah i know it's no coincidence, i was being sarcastic =P

Yeah i know it's no coincidence, i was being sarcastic =P
You failed.

Irony is a disparity of expression and intention. When someone says one thing but means another, or when a literal meaning is contrary to its intended effect. An example of this is sarcasm. When i said wow what a coincidence, i meant the opposite. Like i said before, i was being sarcastic. So in what way did i fail? Just because you fail to see what i mean, does not mean i failed.

I'm reading the second book and I picture Mat as a teenager. and you people talks about him getting married?? O_O
Teenagers can get married. Reading the books is advised.

Archived