DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Half the light of the world?

Does no one else agree that it would be great if in TG it was discovered that Mat could channel and not only could he channel but he was ridiculously strong, he could channel and the entirety of saidin and so in an effort to defeat the DO he does just that and that is how the bore is sealed properly. I mean clearly this can't happen for numerous reasons but it would still be brilliant.

Agree?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right well I've got another one, this one is slightly more sensible, Mat is out generaling the Dark and so all the people decide to try and kill him but his medallion stops them and all of either saidin or saidar is absorbed by his medallion that makes the flows melt around it I know but I still think it might absorb them.

Does no one else agree that it would be great if in TG it was discovered that Mat could channel and not only could he channel but he was ridiculously strong, he could channel and the entirety of saidin and so in an effort to defeat the DO he does just that and that is how the bore is sealed properly. I mean clearly this can't happen for numerous reasons but it would still be brilliant.

Agree?

It would destroy the series. The sheer ammount of foreshadowing we've had for Rand and the Last Battle would all mean nothing, and its that foreshadowing that keeps many people reading on; the sureness that something will happen but never knowing exactly how... Nah, Mat being a channeler would destroy the entire series.

Come on Luckers, I have intentionally written goofkind for years. I find it quite appropriate

But you wrote Goofind in this thread, not Goofkind.  ;D  I myself prefer to mock his work, not his name, since a name is a name. He didnt choose to be called that.

My dear mods, you have been duped, or maybe you haven't, I'm not 100% sure. Remember always that if a member have some three random numbers they often are spammers. Fact, because an old admin veteran has once told me that on a city building site.

Quick note--I have three numbers at the end of my name, and I'm new, but please don't think I'm a spammer!!

Also, I've always thought one of the many great strengths of Mat and Perrin as characters (as opposed to Rand) is that they CAN'T channel--they're inherently weaker than many of the high-level characters in these books, and yet they are frequently even more vital to victory because of their special skills.

Constantly introducing new heroes/heroines/factions/empires at increasing levels of power is exactly why I stopped reading Terry Goodkind (or whatever pun floats your boat here).  I have too much faith in RJ to expect he would do anything like that.

Add another to the chorus of posters (currently standing at two, so not much of a chorus as yet, but I expect wonders here) that have both three numbers and good intentions.  ;)

Given the parallels between Mat and Odin thus far, it would take something relatively astounding for 'half the light of the world' to indicate something other than Mat losing an eye. Mat magically becoming an Asha'man, or having his medallion mess with the Power on a grand scale, wouldn't be astounding. It'd be embarrassing, cringe-inducing, or just plain stupid, if you prefer. Fortunately, RJ and Brandon are better writers than that, and we can expect that they won't randomly throw in something that has no narrative causality.

Im genuinely not trying to spam. I've got another though, cos i really dont want mat to lose his eye you know, hence the name. What about when he saves moiraine he is told that to save her (and perhaps destroy the aelfinn and eelfinn (sp?)) he has to give up saidin or saidar. And because he's terrified of male channelers and doesn't know its clean he chooses saidin which enables rand to win TG because he stops being insane and all the Asha'man dreadlords are incapacitated. How about that one? Or just anything that stops him losing his eye? Any other ideas about that?

this is so weird here i thought people were going to talk about the prophesy where Mat is told that he will have to give up half the light of world to savethe world

man am i floored

Discuss it then that's really why i opened it i was putting out my theories and while they aren't exactly strong they might happen :)

Well, there isn't much to talk about, really Duneflayer.  He's going to give up his eye at some point during the rescue of Moiraine.  It isn't hard to figure out; its been foreshadowed since Min's first set of viewings that we see in TEotW ch 15, and repeatedly since.  Dilbert719 got the Odin parallel right, and it is just one among many indications.

I guess since some people "dont want mat to lose his eye you know", they don't like that conclusion, but that is what will happen.

You realise that if you're wrong you will look so foolish now. You aren't but hey you never no

It is fitting for him to lose an eye...Rand loses his hand, Perrin loses his mind, Mat needs to lose something.

lol...Goofkind...I was supremely disappointed in how he finished his already horrible story.  And then I saw Legend of the Seeker and couldn't believe anyone could make bad go to worse so fast...hope that if tWoT goes mini-series/movie the same doesn't happen to it.

Remember always that if a member have some three random numbers they often are spammers.
I agree, be wary of anyone with three numbers after his or her name.

Rand loses his hand, Perrin loses his mind, Mat needs to lose something.
His virginity? Although that went a while back.

i really dont want mat to lose his eye
Why not? Have you got something against one eyed people?

Why not? Have you got something against one eyed people?

Yeah man i just hate those 'oneys' also i reckon Perrin needs to lose his leg not just his mind cos Rand's went a while back and it makes sense or i suppose maybe just his foot and all other limbs?

I dunno - I'm not convinced on this losing one eye business.  Don't you still see the same amount of light with one eye or two?  I'm no ophthalmologist but this doesn't seem right to me.

I "imagine" it as having something to do with either the snakes/foxes or Tuon.  I'm looking forward to reading about it.

....and my life begins again in November - or maybe 2015 when tGS arrives in the NT!!!

Personally I believe the theory that Mat will give up an eye to Rand. Rand looks to be losing his sight all together. AFAIK the OP cannot be used unless the channeler can see the flows. No better way for Mat "to give up half the light of the world to save the world" than to bring back the DR sight so he can fight TG.

Personally I believe the theory that Mat will give up an eye to Rand. Rand looks to be losing his sight all together. AFAIK the OP cannot be used unless the channeler can see the flows. No better way for Mat "to give up half the light of the world to save the world" than to bring back the DR sight so he can fight TG.

does sort of make sense but how would that actually work, i couldn't give you an eye even if i wanted to you know.

Personally I believe the theory that Mat will give up an eye to Rand. Rand looks to be losing his sight all together. AFAIK the OP cannot be used unless the channeler can see the flows. No better way for Mat "to give up half the light of the world to save the world" than to bring back the DR sight so he can fight TG

That is hilarious...  although from memory, Mat is quite squeamish.  Tuon may need to do it for him and probably would.

Personally I believe the theory that Mat will give up an eye to Rand. Rand looks to be losing his sight all together. AFAIK the OP cannot be used unless the channeler can see the flows.

Actually, RJ said a blind person can channel.  The flows have a feel or taste about them...maybe it was a scent.  That's on his blog somewhere here on Dragonmount.

Archived