DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A New Home or Just Another Job? (Edana's Intro thread)

U4ea

Elyan was looking out at the grounds, but his thoughts were not focused on what he was seeing. The soft sound of a needle being forced into fabric, then the thread being pulled through behind it reached his ears. So much had changed in the last months, he barely felt himself. The feeling of familiarity still hung in the air, like the crisp cool smell after a spring rain, hinting at something past.

“So,” he said, turning from the window, “what brings you to the tower?”

He thought maybe something she said would spark his thoughts. She really did look like someone he should recognize. Elyan had few acquaintances from Caemlyn, but she didn’t have the look of someone that had been living on the street, nor the wariness that came with it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So,“what brings you to the tower?” She looked up to see he’d turned away from the window and seemed to be studying her. She decided to ignore that part, though. He was talking, so she’d take what she could get there.

“Well, I had to leave Caemlyn because of a misunderstanding with my brothers. Since then, I’ve been wandering around here and there taking odd jobs to keep busy and put money in my pockets. When I crossed paths with someone who mentioned this as an option…” She shrugged, the needle still moving in and out of the shirt with a regular precision that spoke of comfort and experience. “I decided that if I was going to die defending someone, it may as well be someone whose well fare I actually care about.”

She finished her stitches and bit off the thread, tying it neatly before handing the thread and needle back to him. “Thank you for loaning these to me. It’ll be nice to have alternate clothes I can wear, again!” She smiled. “So, what brought you here?”

~Edana

OOC: I put in a little piece about Caemlyn because the topic still makes her uncomfortable. Feel free to pull what you need and press her for info, though. :)

She looked up at him before responding, continuing to stitch her shirt while responding. “Well, I had to leave Caemlyn because of a misunderstanding with my brothers. Since then, I’ve been wandering around here and there taking odd jobs to keep busy and put money in my pockets. When I crossed paths with someone who mentioned this as an option…” Shrugging, she continued.  “I decided that if I was going to die defending someone, it may as well be someone whose well fare I actually care about.”

He nodded to himself, she was from Caemlyn, but he still couldn’t quite place her face in with any of his memories. She had a conflict with her brothers, but why did that make her leave. He must have to pursue the topic further, not too close, if she was someone that he had crossed at one point he didn’t want to remind her of who he was. He didn’t feel hostility from him, if anything it was sympathy that consumed him. Strange, there were few people he respected enough to feel empathy for.

Finishing her stitches, she neatly tied the thread and held out her hand to give it back to him. He did not move to take the thread immediately, still deep in thought he continued to study her. Realizing that silence filled the room, he shook himself out of his contemplation and took the thread from her.

“Thank you for loaning these to me. It’ll be nice to have alternate clothes I can wear, again!” She smiled. “So, what brought you here?”

"Your welcome", sounded his quiet response. Her look made him uncomfortable. He moved to sit down on his bed, resting his head on his hands. He did not like to lie, but he had become weary of sympathy from others.

“I also am from Caemlyn and was glad to leave. There is nothing I miss from that city.” That was a lie, he missed the woman that raised him, he tried to hide the hurt in his eyes by moving towards the window and gazing out. “I was living on the streets when I saw an Aes Sedai with her Warder, long story short they inspired me to come here.” He said facing her again. “I have a purpose here, something that has never been given to me until now.” He sighed, “Anyway, at least the food isn’t half bad.” He laughed softly, gazing up at the ceiling.

There was a moment in which he could here only his breathing, no sense in delaying he thought. Looking at her, “What kind…”, clearing his throat, and continuing in a serious tone, “What kind of misunderstanding would make a young woman like yourself leave her family.”

Edana nodded in understanding of his need for a purpose. She'd grown up believing that without a purpose, you had no reason to breathe. That was her father's way of looking at life, and then later, her brothers', too. It was only natural the same be applied to her. If her father had hoped for a frilly daughter, though...

“What kind of misunderstanding would make a young woman like yourself leave her family.” His question drew her eyes back to him. Would he accept a flippant answer? She was about to spend a good deal of time with this man and she doubted whether he'd appreciate her humor when his tone was so serious.

She sighed, scooting back on the bunk and leaning her head against the wall. Her long auburn braid laid in a coil next to her hip. She'd considered cutting it once or twice since she'd left Caemlyn. For some reason, she just couldn't make herself do it. "They accused me of something horrendous. I thought they knew me better. They'd trained me, after all, it was only natural that I be good at it." She sighed. "They did it publicly, too. Rather than giving me any hint of their true feelings, they accused me..." She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. "They accused me of using my feminine wiles to gain ranks within the Queen's Guard. My own brothers..."

~Edana

She looked back towards him, studying him with a considering look. She must be considering how best to answer, Elyan waited in patient silence, rolling the ball of yarn that he still was holding around in his hand. Finally, she sighed while retreating towards the wall that she used for support. Looking up at the ceiling, she opened her mouth to respond.

"They accused me of something horrendous. I thought they knew me better. They'd trained me, after all, it was only natural that I be good at it." She said sighing. "They did it publicly, too. Rather than giving me any hint of their true feelings, they accused me..." Taking a deep breath and closing her eyes, she continued on begrudgingly, "They accused me of using my feminine wiles to gain ranks within the Queen's Guard. My own brothers..."

Elyan stopped fidgeting with the yarn, and looked up at her. He had pushed her into talking about something that was obviously painful for her, sympathy flowed out from him, something he rarely felt, but she did not deserve that treatment from her own family. “I’m sorry… I.. I shouldn’t have asked,” he sputtered, “Their words were harsh and undeserved,” he tried to make his voice sound soothing, “For what it’s worth, I don’t think…” Then the memories flowed back to him, a waterfall of sudden images, the floor of an inn covered in sawdust soaked with blood.

The yard thudded as it hit the floor.

“For what it’s worth, I don’t think…” Elyan's voice sounded strange and then it just stopped altogether. When she heard the yarn hit the floor, she looked his way, wondering what had stopped him. He looked shocked, but it couldn't be from her little revelation. At least, not that kind of shock.

She nearly leapt from the top bunk, landing on her feet and starting his way. "Elyan? Are you alright?" She finally reached him, though she wasn't sure how he'd take her touching him. Some people were odd about that, after all. "Elyan, talk to me..."

She reached for him, anyway, her hand curling around his shoulder and giving him a little shake. That it wasn't more of a shake than that was only testament to her control. Was sharing that horrible little story really worth all this trouble?  "Do I need to call someone? Can you hear me?"

~Edana

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The shake brought him pulled him from the swirling whirlpool of memories that almost overwhelmed him. "Edana?" he said dryly, swallowing to try and work moisture back into his throat. "I'm... I'm sorry." He said shaking himself, and visibly trying to regain control. "You just surprised me is all..." He could see that she hadn't recognized him, at least not yet, he wasn't surprised, his hair was longer than it was then and he wasn't as gaunt.

"I'm glad that..." He coughed trying to clear his throat, "glad that you made it out of the inn safely, I did try to delay them as long as I could, but I was still worried that they had found you." He managed, trying to force a smile as he took a step back from her, he clenched his hand to keep it from reaching for the knife at his belt, she could still probably beat him even with his little training. He had no reason to believe she was involved in what happened after he left the inn, but it was an obvious conclusion for him. He eyed her warily glancing towards the door, maybe she came to finish the job herself.

Edana's mouth fell open, her eyes widened... Elyan... She clapped her hand over her mouth and started shaking her head...  Memories flashed in her head: the tavern; the blood; the stitches she'd put in his side; his haunted, gaunt face. Her memories got a little fuzzy after that. Marie swore she'd been in bed with a fever for the better part of a week after that. She barely remembered entering the inn! Was Elyan with her? YES! She remembered him crouched going down the stairs, trying to buy her time...

It was then she took in his stance, his ready position with his hand on his knife. What in the name of the Light...?

"I didn't make it out of the inn, actually." She tilted her head, keeping her eyes on that knife. She did step back out of his reach. He'd have to make a serious lunge to get at her, now. "Why are you drawing a knife on me? Did YOU make it out of that inn? You were a rather convincing old man, if my memory serves..."

~Edana

She backed away from him, Elyan used the opportunity to circle around towards the door, which was still closed. He backed towards the wall searching for the handle behind him with his other hand still on his knife. He kept his eyes on Edana.

"Why are you drawing a knife on me? Did YOU make it out of that inn? You were a rather convincing old man, if my memory serves..."

“Hhmph,” He grunted, she wasn’t going to make this easy for him. Did she still think that she could trick him into trusting her.

“Yes, I did make it out of the inn,” he said curtly, “Though I didn’t get much farther than that,” He said with a glare, “Thanks to you.”

His hand landed on the handle of the door, he turned it and pulled on the door. “I bet you were surprised to find your man unconscious and me gone,” The door was halfway opened, “You know, I was never sure if the fight at the tavern was real. I didn’t think so, but then why the rest of the act.” He shook his head, “doesn’t matter now, I’m not going to let you take me back.” He took one step out of the door, but turned back to look at her. Her expression was so real, it made him second guess himself, he wanted her to refute him, to try and convince him she wasn’t involved. He wanted to know that there was someone he could actually trust. Still, he was tired of hearing lies and took another step out of the door, keeping his eyes on her.

Edana's brow knotted and her anger rose, just as quickly as it had with her brothers making accusations that night. Her fists curled. What, exactly was he accusing her of?

"If you remember that night in the tavern, you'll remember what happened to the last man who made false accusations about me." Her voice dropped. "You'll also remember that I had no man, save you and that guard. You sniveling little wretch, I didn't make it out of that inn for a week and a half. The last memory I have of that place, is watching you cross the floor and praying you made it to the other side of the tavern without anyone questioning you. I woke up a week later in a cold sweat on a cot behind the kitchen." She stalked him, now, the memories of waking up, sneaking out, taking her first job and killing a man before she'd escaped that merchant train. She'd done a lot of growing up since then. She stepped forward, not reaching for her blade, though she kept her eye on his. "If I'd known you were going to accuse me of whatever misstep befell you from that point on, I would've knocked you on your backside in that tavern and gotten myself killed, instead. Would that have convinced you?"

~Edana

getting really mad at men...

Elyan knew it would not have, but held his tongue. Even so, the small shake his head gave revealed his thoughts.

He thought back to the night when they had first met, his memories were clouded from exhaustion. For a brief moment, he remembered he had trusted her, but none of that remained now. He had become numb to the world; all that remained was his hope of some day being able to make a difference. Even here he was not safe from the wolves that hunted him.

It was plain that she was angry, something he could use to force her hand. All emotions drained from him as he withdrew inside himself. The world was a flowing river, he stood on the bank watching the water’s motion, observing his surroundings from a distance without being effected by them.

“I’m sorry,” the words were quiet and cold, “But I think I am no longer capable of trust, and if that is how you feel, then there is an easy way to settle this.” He reached for the knife at his belt, it thudded against the wooden floor as he undid the buckle. Letting the knife in his sleeve slip, it buried its point in the wood next to the other. “I’m tired of being hounded, of watching the shadows for concealed threats, fearing the danger of sleep.” He closed the door behind him, still watching her. “If my accusations are false, then let vengeance speed your blade. If it is greed that drives you, take my head and the bounty is yours. Peace has eluded me even at the grounds of the tower, there is nothing left for me and I submit to the turning of the wheel.” He left himself open for her strike, but still he watched her, he wanted to witness the fatal blow.

Edana watched the movements of his body, the knives and the flicker in his eye. She stepped closer, leaning close enough that she didn't have to put much voice to her words for him to hear them. "There are many things in this world that will find a man dead, Elyan. Stupidity and false accusations are two of the biggest ones. Baring your throat to anyone is stupid. Striking out blindly with accusations at someone who's only ever offered you friendship is stupid." She paused and pulled her shirt over her head, dropping it at his feet and flashing the raised pink scar on her side. The scar he'd stitched up. "This man is the one who saved my life. This man is the one I owe that debt to."

She stepped back and looked him up and down, shaking her head. "The one in front of me isn't half the man that one was." She bent and swiped the shirt off the floor, shrugging it over her head and letting the shirt tails hang out. "The one in front of me I wouldn't give half a stone for." She reached past him and jerked the door open. "I'll find another room and move my things. I came here for a reason and it wasn't to be murdered in my sleep by a paranoid child."

~Edana

She turned away from him, “Edana wait” He called, his voice taking on a hint of desperation as he grabbed her wrist to stop her. He realized his mistake and he couldn’t let her leave before making amends. Emotion flooded back into him, seeming to rage and become heavier for having been ignored. His legs wobbled under their sheer weight and he dropped to his knees.

“I’m sorry,” He forced the words out with only a slight quiver. “It’s been a long…” Swallowing, he tried to gain control over his voice, “It’s been a long time since anyone had shown me kindness.” He preferred the floor over meeting her eyes, he was too ashamed to look any higher. “I was scared and didn’t know how to react. When he said those things…” Shaking his head, he approached differently, “Doesn’t matter, I convinced myself you had other motives, it was easier for me that way, didn’t have to change my analysis of the world.” He wiped his eyes on his sleeve, trying to hide the dampness from her. “You are right, I’m nothing more than a paranoid child.”

He released her wrist and stood, turning and walking to his bed without glancing at her. Standing with slouched shoulders he looked at his few belongings, “One that doesn’t deserve friendship or forgiveness,” He said quietly to himself, then louder, “Don’t worry about moving your things, there isn’t room for me here, shouldn’t have come in the first place.” He packed his things then, not having many it only took a few moments before he shouldered his pack. He faced her then, with eyes only for the floor, he spotted the yarn a few feet behind her. “I owe you my life, from before and now, but at the moment I have nothing to give. Someday I hope to return the favor, until then if you need something from me, speak it and it’s yours.” He opened his mouth to continue, unsure what more to say, he remained silent. He turned and proceeded to the open door, leaving the yarn where it lay.

OOC: I couldn't get this post to the point that i liked it, but didn't know how to fix it.

sorry.

Edana repressed the instinct that would've had her hand swinging for him at the pressure on her wrist. She jerked around, her mouth open and ready to let him have it. She could only blink at seeing him on his knees, though. And... apologizing?

She watched him back without moving. When he shouldered his pack and came back toward her, she didn't move out of his way. He'd have to knock her down to get out the door. When she did step out of the way, it was only to pick up the yarn. "Elyan," she called as he got close to the door. "You forgot something..." She tossed the ball of yarn at him, tilting her head as it bounced off his. She waited until he turned back towards her.

"I have something to ask of you, actually," she said, swinging up onto her new bunk. "I'm asking you to trust me. I wouldn't care if there was a bounty on your head big enough to let me live comfortably on a farm in Andor for the rest of my life, I would never betray you for it. Not then, not now and not ever. I realize that trusting doesn't come easily for you and I also realize you'll have to stick around here to do it properly, since I have no intention of following you around like a lost puppy. You'll just have to deal with that, I guess." She stared at him, willing him to look her in the eye. "Because I trust you, regardless of your death wishes and your paranoia..." She grinned as she said the last, then got quiet. "What's it going to be, Elyan?"

Elyan stopped when something connected with his head.  He turned slowly to face her, not lifting his eyes off the floor.

Her words were laced with sincerity that dampened his feelings of worry and fear. He wanted to believe her, but his instincts and experience told him to turn and go, to run as fast as he could somewhere, anywhere that wasn’t here. He almost listened. Her word of trust was a flickering candle that held back the shadows of doubt and terror. A slight breeze and he would be submerged into darkness, seeming thicker and more constraining for having been exposed to the light. Familiarity of the shadows called to him, he adjusted the weight of the pack on his shoulder and turned his head to look at the door standing open behind him. He could walk away, go back to living off the streets, combating cold and hunger. Caemlyn was too dangerous for him now, he would have to stay in Tar Valon, the city was bigger and would provide more opportunities for him. The tower, an inescapable fixture in the city would be a constant reminder of another path, another life he might have had. It was a familiar life, but not one he desired. Turning back towards Edana, he studied her without lifting his eyes from the floor. A glimmer of hope still burned within him, maybe he could make a new life here. All she asked was for him to trust her, he wasn’t sure if he could and if she was lying it would mean his head. It was a small chance, but he wanted to stay in the light.

“Alright,” He said softly, letting his bag down to the floor. “I t…” The words caught in his throat, trying again, “I tru…” uncertainty held the words back, he didn’t want to lie and wasn’t sure he could trust her.

Finally raising his eyes to her face, he saw her expression, one of kindness and concern. It reminded him of someone he knew long ago, smiling slightly as he fondly recalled the time spent together. She shone with sympathy, not something that could be faked, he had made up his mind, “Yes, I trust you Edana,” he said and knowing the words rang true.

OOC: Sorry, I’m coming down with a cold and can’t think clearly. So, let me know if this doesn’t make sense.

“Yes, I trust you Edana,” he answered her, making her nearly chew her nails while he deliberated.

Edana nodded, glad to hear the answer she'd hoped for. She wasn't about to show him that, though. He was as skittish as a newborn colt and probably needed the same handling. She'd been around one or two of those, though she'd never been terribly successful at it. She eyed him a moment. It looked like she was getting another shot, at least. She smiled, doubting he'd appreciate the comparison. "Well, then I suppose you need to get unpacked and show me where I can find some food. I haven't had a decent meal in... well, I don't remember the last one that wasn't dried meat and stale bread. Pray tell me they cook better than that around here?!?" She begged, swinging down off the bunk again. "Need some help with that?"

~Edana

“No, thanks, I am fine.” He said opening the trunk at the foot of his bed and dropping the bag inside, he didn’t like to leave out anything in case he would need to leave quickly, an old habit. He had said he trusted her and it was true, but he still didn’t like others handling his possessions.

He stood up then, brushing off his knees and nodding slightly, “The food here is excellent, at least compared to what I’m used to eating.” A small smile forming on his face, “Thera makes sure that no one leaves training because of bad food.” He then moved towards the door opening it slightly more, and gesturing into the hallway, “You should probably get a look at the grounds before it gets dark, because the instructors won’t forgive you being late, for not knowing where to be.” His stomach growled slightly, causing him to look down at it, “We can head to the kitchens now if it pleases you.”

“We can head to the kitchens now if it pleases you.”

Edana's grin widened and she jumped off the bunk, landing easily on her feet. She crossed the room and walked through the door, poking him in the stomach on her way past him. "I'm not the only one whose pleasure it will be to find the kitchens, it sounds like," she laughed.

She let him lead a bit, but only by half a step. She stayed even with him as they crossed the Yard and headed towards another building. "So, what have I gotten myself into, Elyan? I only cared about a roof over my head and a reason to get up in the morning. To hear Kynwric tell it, yes, I met him on the way in, it's so much more than that..."

~Edana

Elyan led Edana across the grounds, pointing to certain buildings and describing to her their purpose, his voice distant as he considered her question. He had talked to, overheard mostly, many new recruits discussing why they had come to the tower. Their motives were not unlike his own.

“I think that some people come here, because they have no where else to go.” he began quietly, “The tower gives shelter and food to any who willingly dedicate their lives to the guard.” He continued scanning the grounds as he spoke. Noting a few trainees sparring he added, “Others come with thoughts of immortalizing themselves in the legends of our time“ A slight shake of his head hinted what he thought of foolish notions, “all of us have come here by different paths for different reasons,” not including Edana in his scanning of the yards. “And no matter our motivation for coming, I think we stay because we are called to be apart of something greater than ourselves, something that can give our lives meaning.” Letting his gaze drop to the ground in front of him, “That’s what I think anyway,” He muttered suddenly embarrassed about having opened so much, “Ahh… here we are,” he said approaching the door and pulling it open, “After you.” He said gesturing toward the opening with his head bowed respectively.

OOC: Well, here you go, you can stop pestering me.

;D Sorry for the delay, trying to get better.

Edana followed his gaze, noting the buildings he pointed out on the way across the yard. She couldn't help her lips stretching into a smile as he spoke, though he seemed to be avoiding looking at her. She wondered briefly if it was because she'd tossed her shirt at his feet. Her smile widened at the thought, making a note to ask him later. He hadn't seem bothered by it earlier...

She listened to him talk, his voice low and his gaze still swinging around the yard. Her smile widened and she paused as he opened a door for her. She grinned at his bowed head and shook her own. "Why, Elyan, you didn't tell me you were a gleeman, besides! I thought you said it hadn't worked well for you? And thank you," she said softly as she stepped through the door, waiting for him on the other side. The room inside smelled heavenly and she put her hand to her stomach before it embarassed her by making noise. She hadn't had a meal she hadn't hunted down and cooked herself in quite a while and that food was doing strange things to her stomach!

~Edana

OOC: Oh, you! *pokes* You're going to make anyone reading this think I'm mean and pester sick people to make posts! *laughs* That's not nice!

Elyan followed Edana through the opening, staring after her with a raised eyebrow. He remembered their conversation back in the inn, but failed to see how it applied to anything he had said. She gazed around the room, seeming overwhelmed by the atmosphere. As Elyan stepped past by her to the serving counter, he was greeted by one of the serving girls that he recognized but could not bring her name to mind.

"Elyan, back again already?" she said jestingly with a smile. He nodded and returned the smile, as she heaped a plate and handed it to him. "Not that you can't use it, get some meat on that scrawny frame of yours," she said laughing, then noticing Edana as she approached the table, “and who is this? Not many woman in the warders, hopefully you are more of a conversation than Elyan here,” She said gesturing to Elyan with a chuckle.

“My name’s Alvera, and what can I get for you dear?”

Having received their full plates, they walked out into the large common area. Looking around at the room, Elyan took note of the tables, which were not crowded, but there wasn’t one unoccupied. Uncomfortable with sitting down next to people he was not familiar with, Elyan offered a suggestion to Edana, “As long as we bring the plates back, we can take the food in the barracks, if you would prefer that.” Trying to keep the nervousness from his voice.

OOC: At least they will know the truth, I sacrificed sleep to write this. You better enjoy it.

Edana grinned as the woman behind the counter teased Elyan. Perhaps this place wasn't the scary lot it was made out to be, after all. “and who is this? Not many woman in the warders, hopefully you are more of a conversation than Elyan here,” the woman was waving her hand at Elyan and Edana's grin widened.

"Aye, conversation has rarely been an issue for me," she laughed. "I even managed to get Elyan to talk about himself once! It was a strange day!" It had been, but she wasn't about to let more detail than that slip by. "I thank you, ma'am, for this lovely dinner! I suspect you'll have me too fat for training soon, but I promise I'll never breathe a word of the subterfuge to any who don't already know what you're up to."

She winked and trailed behind Elyan, seeing the tables were mostly already in use. “As long as we bring the plates back, we can take the food in the barracks, if you would prefer that.”

She nodded slowly, following him out again. Apparently, large crowds still bothered him. Flashes of memory from the inn flickered in her thoughts and she wrinkled her brow. Had he really been so skinny and frightened? "The barracks are fine with me," she said, her thoughts distracted for a moment. "I'll tackle meeting people another day. I'd like to get settled first."

~Edana

OOC: I LUV YOU! *bats her eyes*

Elyan breathed a sigh of relief as they exited the kitchens. He hoped she hadn’t assented to leaving because of him, but was still glad she did. The walk back to their room started in silence, Elyan led the way with Edana half a step behind him. The quiet continued as they crossed the grounds, some felt awkward during long delays in the conversation, for Elyan it settled in with a certain familiarity that always made him feel comfortable, and yet this time, he still felt the need to say something. Reaching for words, he opened his mouth, when nothing came he closed it again. He was never good at idle chatting.

Embarrassment and shame were still the primary emotions residing within him and they prevented him from letting his eyes drift to Edana. Even being used to betrayal, it was still the quality he despised most, seeing it in himself had drowned his sense of worth in a lake of disgrace.

… (feel free to add something)

Nudging the door to the room open with his foot, he walked in and sat on his bunk with his legs crossed. He wasn’t quite hungry, but the food would provide an excuse to not speak. Sighing as he realized he had forgotten to grab any eating utensils from the kitchen, and seeing that Edana had acquired some made him feel more ignorant, especially because he had eaten at the kitchens before. Getting up and carefully setting his food on the floor, he rummaged through his bag for his own cloth wrapped ones. The ones the kitchen had were of better make, but the trip back wasn’t worth the effort when he had his own. Again taking his seat on the bed, he started into the food.

OOC: awww… I  wuv you too honey bun,  :D

Now, where did i put that Nyquil

Edana followed him back across the yards, not really paying attention to anything as she let the fragments of her memories fall into place. There were still large holes, eaten away by the fever, but she could put enough together to get a better read on the man she was following. She dropped back, watching his body language, reading the need to say something, but the discomfort of not having anything by the way his head turned and then his shoulders rounded forward.

She entered their room behind him, settling easily on the floor with her plate. She pretended not to notice that he'd forgotten utensils and set about eating, as if his quiet didn't bother her. It didn't bother her, to be truthful. She watched his movements out of the corner of her eye, watching him retrieve his eating utensils and begin eating. Some day he'd tell her about why he was so guarded.

She waited until she saw him slow the movements of his fork before asking quietly, "What happened once you got to the bottom of the stairs in the inn?" She lifted her eyes to his, showing him the sincerity of her concern so he wouldn't mistake her meaning. "I don't remember much of anything beyond seeing you hobble down the stairs and waking up in a cold sweat a week later."

~Edana