DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A New Home or Just Another Job? (Edana's Intro thread)

U4ea

Edana propped her shoulder on the post supporting the bridge before her with a bit of reluctance. She stared up at the bright white tower stretching towards the heavens, but had yet to decide whether this was the right road or not. Naturally, it lead to said bright white tower, but traveling it…

Thoughts of her last job ran through her head, but it was rarely far from her thoughts these days. Especially not with the stab of pain that erupted from her thigh every time she swung her leg over the saddle of her horse. Taking a blade was pointless, she’d decided, unless you had a reason to do it. Father always had a reason, she thought, letting her eyes travel the length of the tower stretching out of the bustling city below. Was this her reason?

She watched foot travel over the bridge a moment before taking a deep breath and leading her horse across it. She had little else to die for, Light knew. She had little to live for, if you wanted to get technical about it. She’d lost the family she had, sacrificed on the altar of jealousy and deceit. She paused as she entered the wall that protected the tower from the rest of the city, her eyes noting the guards posted along the ledge. Habit, of course, but good habits die hard.

She handed her horse to the stable hands, passing them what little extra coin she had left to make sure he was well taken care of. When she couldn’t put it off any longer, she stepped into the Yards. Again her habits took over, but this time she drew comfort from the familiar sounds of training. Her eyes scanned the men and women in the easy dance that was learning to fight. A sad ache tightened in her chest at the memories of her brothers introducing her to this sound. Was it ironic that it was because of them that she stood here now?

Resolution pulled her away from those thoughts and forced her eyes to find someone who could direct her to the person in charge.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kynwric was once again in the yards, he was spending more and more time there it seemed. He started to analyze that for a moment, but that thought was lost when Graden made yet another mistake in his forms. "For the bloody hundredth time son, why are you thinking. It's a bloody stab, you just adjust your wrists at the end to point the tip downwards. It isn't as if you're trying to channel lightning from the bloody sky! Do it again. Khalil, if he screws it up again, hit him... hard."

Kyn turned from the pair and swept his gaze all along the yard, there wasn't much different than any other day. Guards at the gate, some girl looking lost, Graden screwing up his forms... wait girl looking lost. He knew the guards tended to let the new applicants find their own way and he understood the practice, it tested them and was the first of many tests that came inside these walls. Kyn waited and watched seeing what the girl made of the chance, what did she decide to do? Just at that moment he heard a clash of lathes and the crack of lathe on flesh and bone, accompanied by a scream of pain. He glanced over his shoulder and saw Graden holding his arm. He flung the words over his shoulder at Khalil, "Take him to the infirmary and see him fixed up." He then turned his gaze back to where the girl stood and realized her eyes had fixed on him.

The scream from across the Yard drew her eyes to a pair of combatants she'd noticed before. It was obvious one of them wasn't terribly good at what he was doing. Any idiot could've figured that out, though. No one with a wobbly blade managed to land it anywhere that would result in any serious damage. Her eyes landed on their instructor, or what she assumed was their instructor. That's what old Captain Molestone had looked like when teaching her how to use the sword on her hip. She prayed she'd never looked that terribly uncomfortable. She felt her lips twitch, but managed to control it from becoming a full-fledged smile. If the look on the man's face as he glared at her from across the Yard made her wonder if he'd see the humor in the situation.

She watched the pair heading off towards the building behind them and could only guess he was headed to find a healer. The man's eyes were still resting on her and she took a deep breath as she crossed the yard. It was a pace that was hard to maintain, not too slow to appear reluctant or cocky and not to fast to appear overeager. Years of practice, but it wasn't something she was about to let anyone else in on. If she was lucky, no one here would even recognize her.

She nodded her head as she approached the man, a little lower than she'd have greeted her superiors in Caemlyn. She wondered idly if he'd notice, but said instead, "Good morning, sir. May I ask a moment of your time to direct me to the person in charge of new recruits?"

"Good morning, sir. May I ask a moment of your time to direct me to the person in charge of new recruits?"

Kyn glanced back over his shoulder to make sure that Graden and Khalil had indeed departed and then back to the girl in front of him. "Aye, I have time fort that. Come with me." Kyn began to appraise the girl as they walked. "What's your name girl?" And after she gave it he followed up with "What brings you here?"

"Aye, I have time fort that. Come with me. What's your name girl?" Light, Edana thought, falling easily into the man's easy stride. If this was what you'd call easy, anyway. It had been years since someone looked down at her. Was he calling her girl to annoy her? It would take more than that, but he wouldn't know that. She fought off another grin, glad he had to look over his shoulder to see her. "Edana Keller," she answered. He didn't give her much time beyond that before he fired off another question. Not cracking a grin at his gruffness was going to be difficult. It was just a shame he reminded her so much of her father. "What brings you here?"

Ah, how to answer that one? What had brought her here? "Purpose," she answered, realizing that was the only reason she'd turned her horse towards Tar Valon and not off West somewhere. "I come in search of a purpose, sir." A purpose for what, though? Her thigh pinched, but she managed to keep a limp out of her stride. She'd had worse injuries. It served to remind her why she'd chosen this purpose, though. "Protecting people is all I know. What better purpose could my skills be put to, but the protection of an Aes Sedai?"

Kyn led Edana to the Thera's office, even though Thera was no longer occupying it for the moment. "Purpose you say? I think purpose can be found anywhere. Being here is more of a obsession, you have to want it more than anything else in the world. Dedicate your waking moments and a few of your sleeping ones to achieving your obsession." He had measured her as they walked. "I can already see you know how to wield a sword, have had some training in it. Have you learned to dance with it yet?"

She followed the man across the yard, listening to his talk of obsesson. Was it truly an obsession? Or just his obsession? It was something to consider. Her curiosity would make her ask. How long would she have to wait before he didn't look like he'd take her head off for it?

Edana paused. She was rather proficient with the sword on her hip. As she was with the knives tucked in her boots and vambraces. But dancing? "I'm afraid I don't understand your question," she'd have added his name, but he hadn't given it, yet. On purpose or an oversight? "I have training, yes. I have received formal training since I was nine. I have served in the Queen's Guard for three years and have used my training quite a bit."

"By dancing with the sword I mean to make it feel like it is a part of you, instead of working with it the sword moves almost of its own volition without thought." His ears perked up at the mention of the Queen's Guard. He paused his stride and turned to regard her, judging her stance and readiness anew. "How good do you think you are?"

A challenge or an honest question? What was it about this man that made her question every word that passed his lips? It was something to think about, later when she had time for such things. "I am no blade master, but I know my way around my blade. I dance with it quite well, but I must admit I've never crossed lathes with a blade master to test myself."

"If it's a test you're after, would it not be better to start it?" Alright, so her father would've probably swept the floor with her for that. She knew the minute it was out of her mouth that she'd pushed this man that far, too. Ah, well, she needed the exercise and maybe she'd figure out how to keep her mouth shut. Maybe...

Kyn looked at her and smiled, it seemed half bemusement and half challenge. "A test? No girl, I've no need to test myself in such a way. It is likely good that you've never crossed blades with a Blademaster, you wouldn't be standing here to tell me about it." He stepped back, giving a little space between them. "I would suggest that we get you on to the Roll before we begin lessons though. After that I'd be happy to teach you what I know." Kyn wasn't sure what it was about Edana that pricked him funny, he liked and disliked her all at once. He waited for her to choose between drawing her blade or following him to begin her new life.

"It is likely good that you've never crossed blades with a Blademaster, you wouldn't be standing here to tell me about it." Edana stiffened at that, but made no move for her blade. She didn't need anything more than his manner to tell her that he was better than she was and would probably send her to the infirmary before she could clear her scabbard. She wasn't quite that stupid. "Aye, then. Adding my name to the Roll sounds like the best place to start."

She waited for him to move and followed him when he did, her eyes focused on a spot between his shoulder blades as if waiting on him to turn and strike.

Kynwric noticed Edana's tensing when he demeaned her skill and inwardly he smiled. Now that is the sprit I'd expect from a trainee and control, something that has been lacking recently.

"Aye, then. Adding my name to the Roll sounds like the best place to start."

Kyn nodded, "Aye, I suppose it would." He led Edana up to the Mistress of Trainee's office, knocking on the door before pushing it open to let Edana in. Before she did he spoke to her softly, "I'm Kynwric Gaidin, when you're ready to be challenged come and find me."

"I'm Kynwric Gaidin, when you're ready to be challenged come and find me." Kynwric said softly as she stepped past him. She turned her eyes to his, pausing in the doorway only a fraction of a second. "I shall, at that, Master Kynwric. You can bet on it."

She sent him a smile that was more confidence than humor and entered the office before her. What would be waiting for her here? Another round of verbal sparring or someone actually interested in accepting her for training?

~Edana

OOC: So, if Thera's not there, who's sitting at the desk? *smirks*

Dragar could hear the clacking of lathes and the shouts of mentors calling down their students.  He longed to be anywhere except behind the desk that he currently occupied.  Rubbing his head with one hand as he used the other to toss another sheet of parchment on top of the pile of the reports which required his signature.  Never in his worst nightmares could he have imagined such a horrible fate.  Being the assistant to the Mistress of Trainees was a fate worse than death.  Being an assistant was one thing but the bloody woman that he was supposed to be assisting was never around which meant he had all the weight of her position on his shoulders.  All he wanted was a flask, a woman, and a game of dice.

The voices outside the building were lost to him.  Dragar had his head buried in his desk though he saw a shape looming in the anteroom.  "Blood and ashes Lara!  If it is more reports to be signed then you can burn them for all I care or send them back to whomever sent them!"  Dragar rubbed his head again, it wasn't even midday and already he had a headache the size of the Aryth Ocean.

When Lara(the clerk) failed to answer he looked up to see a young woman standing in the anteroom staring at him.  "If you are carrying reports or you have made a transgression in the yards and are seeking punishment then I would advise you to come back later.  If you are here for some other business then do come in an state your business...and have a seat, I do not expect to crane my neck looking up at you."  The young woman was above average height for a woman.  Dragar fought the urge to reach into the desk drawer and pull out the flask he kept in there.  It was still short of midday and the flask was nearly empty.   

Edana stared at the man behind the desk, waiting on him to look up. He yelled for some poor 'Lara,' long before he raised his eyes from his desk. "If you are carrying reports or you have made a transgression in the yards and are seeking punishment then I would advise you to come back later.  If you are here for some other business then do come in an state your business...and have a seat, I do not expect to crane my neck looking up at you."

The urge to grin was overwhelming, but she restrained it. She entered the office and lowered herself onto a sturdy enough chair. "I was directed here to sign the Roll by a Master Kynwric Gaidin," she started. "My name is Edana Keller and I'd like to join the ranks of those who serve the Servants." Perhaps feeding him the information he'd most likely want in one sitting would be best, since he was terribly preoccupied. What urge was he restraining?

~Edana,

Dragar stopped rubbing his head and studied the young girl as she spoke.  His head tilted slightly and a hint of a grin formed on his face.  Most newcomers were hesitant to speak a word if not prompted to do so.  Something about her was pleasantly different than the others who came to train in the yards.  Her tone was confident and almost matter of fact.  She simply came here to enroll and she would, no delusions of grandeur, no outlandish story.  It was refreshing.

Lifting a large pile of parchment, Dragar unceremoniously deposited them on the wood floor to make room to open the ledger.  He opened the ledger though instead of picking up the pen he stood and walked to the window as he liked to do.  Even though her intentions were clear he liked to feel out the new recruits.  They were his responsibility after all.

The window gave him a good view of the training grounds.  The yards were busy, dozens of trainees, guardsmen, and warders practicing their forms or learning new skills.  Dragar suppressed a sigh, he yearned to be out there among them yet the pile of paperwork was neverending.  His Bannerman's tabard was neatly pressed except for the wrinkles from sitting and his armor was brightly polished.

The sound of lathes clacking found their way into the small office.  "So you simply met Kynwric Gaidin, a Warder and Blademaster here in the yards and he told you to enroll for training."  He did not need to turn his head to see her nod or hear her words of assent.  In the void his peripheral vision was enough, he was one with everything in the room.  He could hear her heartbeat, she was very calm, more collected than any other that he had met.

Dragar kept facing the window though he looked over his shoulder at the young woman.  "No grand story about how you want to save the world?  No foolish notions about wanting to be the best sword to be found this side of the Aryth Ocean?  No exaggerated stories of your past or your supposed skill with a blade?"

This time he turned to face her.  "No?  Well then did Master Kynwric explain to you what your training will be like?"  He arched an eyebrow then continued not giving her a moment to speak.  "I do not want to enter your name in the rolls if you are not going to last a week.  The days are long, rest comes when you can get it.  You will do as you are told or you will be sent back to me.  Believe me when I say that that is the last thing you want.  I will make you regret the day you were born."

Again Dragar went on not allowing her to answer.  "The good thing is that you get a bunk in the barracks and all the food you can eat from the mess hall.  Believe it or not the food is actually quite good.  It seems the Commander does not want to lose anyone because the meals are subpar.  So if this is what you want then I will add you name to the rolls."  He made his way back to the desk and took his seat waiting on her response.

Edana opened her mouth to respond only once. When he rushed on, cutting her off, she only shook her head and let him speak. He was serious about his job and that was always a good thing. He didn't seem the sort to make excuses or listen to any long, drawn out explanations. So if this is what you want then I will add you name to the rolls."

When he moved towards the desk again, Edana's eyes followed him. When he didn't offer up further warnings, she took that as her cue. "I have no such delusions, sir. It's simply my wish to dedicate my life to a purpose and die defending it. I've been trained by the Queen's Guards, so I'm afraid training doesn't frighten me. I'm decent enough with a blade, but every wish to get better. Do I believe myself the best? No. Do I believe I can save to world?" She snorted, shaking her head. "No. But if my life, whether the living of it or the dying of it, gives aid to one who can..." She shrugged. "I shall consider it well spent."

"Very well then" Dragar said as he dipped the nib of the pen in the ink jar.  He did not feel the need to drag the conversation on unnecessarily so he scribbled her name on the rolls.  Dragar placed the pen in its holder then stoppered the ink jar before sprinkling sand on the page. 

Dragar stood and ushered Edana to the door leading to the yards.  He pointed to the trainee barracks on the other side of the training grounds.  "The trainee barracks are over there.  Go find a vacant bunk in one of the rooms.  Tomorrow you will begin your training.  Training begins at sunrise unless you are instructed otherwise.  The mess hall opens early so you can get a meal in you before you start your day.  Whatever you do, do not be late for training.  Now you better go find yourself a bunk, you have the rest of the day to get yourself settled."

Dragar waited for Edana to get several paces from the door before shutting it.  Turning on his heals he headed for his desk and the salvation that he would find in his flask. 

Edana nodded worldessly and watched him write her name on the page before him. She let him usher her away, following the direction of his hands as he spoke, still nodding. She grinned as she moved away, turning a few paces out to bow in a semi-respectful way, but the door had already shut. She bit off a laugh, turning on her heel to move on towards the barracks he'd pointed out. Her thoughts wandered around what he was reaching for in that big desk of his as she crossed the yards and entered the building. She decided she truly didn't want to know as she slipped along the corridors.

She was directed to a few rooms that people believed were empty and sighed inwardly before knocking on the first one she stopped by. She pushed the door open, peaking her head in. "Hello, anyone here? I am in search of a bunk..."

Elyan had the day off, which he normally spent finding other trainees to spar with, but today he had decided to spend the day in tar valon. He had not been inside the city since the day he had arrived, and needed to pick up some things from the market, including a set of clothes he promised he would have made. Besides, not that he was willing to admit, but his muscles were still sore, tight from the swim with Sandre a few days ago. Wanting to get a feel for the city he walked the alleys for awhile, a wealth of information lay in the way a city’s underground lived and reacted to the rest of society. He had gotten back after lunch, grabbing something from the kitchens and heading back to his room.

Now he was sitting on his bed using the needle and thread he had bought to repair some of the tears in his old clothing. Stitching clothing was something he had learned in his mother’s house, but only really came to use it when the choice was to mend his clothing, or run about the city clothed in the light. He had chosen to find a makeshift needle, which did not make the work easy, but was better than the alternative. Making smaller tighter stitches was easier with the needle he had bought; his work still wouldn’t be winning any contests, but it would hold for the days to come. The repetitive motion was hypnotizing, mental stress he had bared these last few months seemed to drift away. The other goods that he had acquired from the city lay tucked inside an old shirt buried inside his trunk, he did not believe they would be needed, but he was prepared.

Byron was not in the room, maybe he should not have challenged him, feelings had been tense between them since the day he had arrived. Elyan could not even remember who had won the challenge, he thought it a pity that he felt the need to watch his back when Byron was in the room. Picking out a stitch to redo, he thought maybe it was just him. Perhaps his untrusting nature made him feel the need to be on guard. The room had been more relaxing when he had it to himself.

Footsteps sounded from down the hall, Elyan tracked them without looking up from his work, he did not think that anyone at this end of the hall had the day off today. It was difficult to keep track of so many trainees, but Elyan liked to know where everyone was. His stitching continued rhythmically, not showing the tension that began to rise from the depths of him. Even months as a trainee had not made him less wary of people around him. The footsteps stopped outside his door, which stood slightly ajar for the exact reason that Elyan wanted to be able to hear someone before they intruded on him. He forced his hands to move, watching the door from the corner of his eye. There was a knock on the door as it swung inwardly, a head appearing from outside. Elyan did not get a good look at the person, but it appeared that the stranger was a slightly older woman, with brown flowing hair.

"Hello, anyone here? I am in search of a bunk..." Said the woman.

Elyan did not look up at her, but responded in a quiet voice. “The two top ones in here are free, if they are to you liking.”

He continued with his stitching, choosing to observe her from downcast eyes. Knowing that he might appear rude, but he was not good at engaging strangers in conversation and thought the work might delay the need for him to speak. Besides, people were not always themselves when they know they are being watched.

OOC: Sorry for the lengthy post, I guess I’m just long winded, hope the post is ok. Anyway, to set the scene, there are two bunk beds on either side of the room with chests at their feet, both of those are full of Elyan and Byron’s possessions. A few of Byron’s possessions are on the bed he is using on the left side of the room. There is a washstand in front of the window, with chests on either side. Elyan, a medium height stocky man with brown-red hair, which at the moment is almost shoulder length and probably unkempt, and shining green eyes, he is laying on the right bed, working a needle on clothes that are little more than rags, and despite being in the barracks for months still looks underfed.

Edana nodded, entering the room and finding one of the empty bunks. He wasn’t watching her, so she looked around a minute before tossing her things onto the top bunk across from him. There was something a little familiar about him, but she couldn’t quite put her finger on it. “I’m Edana Keller,” she said, dipping her head to meet his eyes. “Thanks for letting me share some space with you. ”

She noted that he was stitching a rent in his shirt and nodded slowly. She wasn’t sure how he could see with his hair in his face. Her father would’ve taken a blade to it a long time ago. That thought made her smile a bit as she pulled the few things she owned from the sack on the bed. “May I borrow your sewing kit when you’re done? I used the last of my thread stitching up a pair of breeches last week and haven’t had a chance to replenish my supply.” That the tear in question had resulted in the gash on her thigh, she’d let slide for now. He’d probably figure it out as soon as she tried climbing in this bunk, anyway…

~Edana

OOC: *grins* No problem! I'm sure you'll see me get long-winded pretty soon. ;)

Elyan stitched as he watched the woman enter the room. She looked around the room, moving to get a view from the window before throwing her bag on the bed above where Byron slept. Then she walked next to his bed lowering herself to look into his eyes.

“I’m Edana Keller,” she said, “Thanks for letting me share some space with you.”

Elyan gave a small nod, “Elyan Keladrin” He responded, no longer stumbling over his fake last name. He smiled at her comment, thinking of how different lifestyle was in the barracks compared to spending the night in an alley. “It’s a different situation then I’m used to, but I’ll be glad of the company.” He said genuinely, but unsure whether he meant it. It made him uncomfortable sharing a room at night with anyone, much less a person he hardly knew.

Looking down at his work, she nodded. Then moving back to her bunk and taking some of her things out of her bag, she looked back over her shoulder to speak.

“May I borrow your sewing kit when you’re done? I used the last of my thread stitching up a pair of breeches last week and haven’t had a chance to replenish my supply.”

Elyan again nodded. He did not like letting others use his possessions, probably having to do with his lack of trust. Though he was not here to make enemies, and she had asked nicely. Then he noticed it, she was familiar to him. He caught a better look at her face when she introduced herself, and was sure that he had seen her face, but it had not been in his mother’s house. He struggled to fill in the surroundings, and surprised himself at seeing the inside of an inn. He had rarely spent time in a tavern, what did he remember her from. Feeling that he was close to finding the moment in his memories, he stuck his finger with the needle, interrupted his train of thought. He looked down to examine his work; he had pricked his finger on the last stitch. Tying off the end, he shook his head at his carelessness. He rolled up the unused thread, sticking the needle in the ball, and hopping off his bed. 

Handing her the ball of thread, he continued to stare at her after she took it, racking his mind trying to remember where he had seen that face. When she noticed his gaze, he quickly turned and walked towards the window, placing his hands on the wash stand and looking out into the yards watching the swift movements of men working their forms.

OOC: What do you think about one of us having a flashback, which we could rp.

OOC: Works for me! :D

IC:

Edana wrinkled her brow at Elyan, but smiled as she accepted the thread. She climbed up on her bunk, grabbing a shirt from her pack and searching the fabric for the tear the brambles from the road had torn. She felt his gaze on her and looked up, watching him turn away and look out the window. Had she said something wrong?

He wasn't terribly talkative, but she'd met many people like that in her life, she couldn't really place what she might've said to make him stop his stitching. She sighed, setting into her sewing and letting her thoughts go. He'd say something, sooner or later. It always came out...

~Edana