DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A New Home or Just Another Job? (Edana's Intro thread)

U4ea

Elyan was still picking at his food when Edana posed the question. Setting his plate to the floor, he sat for a moment with his elbows resting on his legs. He could recall the memory with relative ease, but it was not that part that troubled him. Like a bend in the river all moments in time passed, yielding to what lay ahead of them. Memories flowed into one another, and he dreaded reliving the experience to which this one lead. His muscles tensed and vision blurred just thinking about it.

Pulling himself back to the moment with a grunt, he leaned back in the bunk resting himself against the wall. Lacing his fingers across his stomach and closing his eyes, he began to organize his thoughts. He had avoided looking at Edana out of shame, but if he got through this tale, he did not wish to see her reaction.

Loathness to tell the story held his tongue, but recalling that he had swore to give her anything she asked slowly started it moving. The first words were barely audible, “Don’t have much of a choice.” encouraging him to keep going, he would keep his word. “Where to start, hmm, well I was making my way slowly down the stairs.” His words were cold stone as he tried to bury all emotion, afraid of what it might cause. “Earning myself a few terse words from one of the guards, as I was in their way of getting up the stairs,” He paused for a swallow, “I slowed my pace enough to chastise the “youngin” for his disrespect to his “elders”. You see, I was trying to give as much time as I could before they ascended the stairs. The conversation almost earned me a punch in the face by the man, which would have ended the whole charade, but a word from the officer stayed his hand. For that, I was much thankful. Then, I made my way slowly out of the inn, unhindered any further, by the guards.” Coming around the bend, Elyan thought, “I headed east for several blocks, keeping up the guise even out of sight of the inn. Then, when the coast was clear, I ducked in an alleyway.” Elyan started to tense, his knuckles turning white as he clenched them. Clearing his throat, he continued. “I thought I was alone in the alleyway, but there was a man waiting for me. He said he was a bounty hunter and he had come to collect, dead or alive. The last thing I saw was his cudgel, being too tired to even attempt a resistance.” His voice started to quiver, “When I awoke.. he,” His voice choked, preventing him from continuing. With effort he removed his clasped fingers in order to rub his face, an attempt to conceal the moistness in his eyes. After a moment to collect himself, he continued, “Doesn’t matter, he underestimated me and I managed to escape.” The words came easier, but minutes passed before Elyan could open his eyes.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edana shook her head, knowing he was keeping something to himself even before he mentioned it. She wasn't going to push him, though. He'd told her that much and she was glad for it. Well, not glad that it had ended badly for him.

"I'm glad you escaped," she said, a genuine smile on her lips. "I wish it had been easier for you." She finished her meal and set her plate aside, leaning back on her elbows and looking up at the ceiling. She babbled, giving him time to put the memories that were obviously still haunting him far behind. "I really don't remember much about that night. Maria was there when I woke up, telling me she'd hidden me in no less than four places around the inn while the guards were searching for me. I don't remember any of it. I must've done serious damage to one of my brothers for them to be searching for me that thoroughly. I find it difficult to believe that they would actually be concerned enough for my wellfare to be searching for any reason other than vengeance. I haven't heard anything, though. Maria kept watch the whole time she forced me to take it easy and said she never heard a word about one of them dying. She has ways of learning things, too. I can only assume they were all still alive when I slipped out of Camelyn."

She shook her head, pushing away the guilt that had dogged her steps since she picked up her sword that night. Maria had told her some of the things she'd said while she was battling that fever and to this day it shocked her how brutally honest her mind was when its defenses were down. She'd worried about Elyan, worried about her brothers, cried about letting her father down, disappointing his memory and her fears about what her future would be like since she'd destroyed any chance for the life she'd created to be possible. She smiled, though. At least one of those worries was put to rest. Elyan was here, he was healthy and apparently well fed. She still had the list of other concerns, but at least she wouldn't be worrying about him much after today.

"Ah, well, memories are only good for turning a good day into a bad one, right? I say we're here to make new ones. So, what good ones have you created while you've been here, Elyan? Charming the kitchen staff doesn't seem to have been one of them..." She grinned and rolled her head until she was looking at him again.

~Edana

Elyan threw her a questioning look, what had he done to anyone working in the kitchens. Dropping his eyes he tried to find a memory that he treasured from his days living in the barracks. His time here had been short, and he could not bring one to mind. Though he thought he had something that might satisfy her question.

“I haven’t been here for an extended period of time,” he said quietly, “I can’t think of any particular moment that sticks out in my mind, it is more of a general sense of security that I get from this place. I don’t feel the need to watch my back or scan the shadows constantly, I still do,” He said compressing the corner of his mouth, “But I no longer have to sleep with one eye open,” Sighing, he started examining his hands. Saying softly, ”Maybe I’m wrong, maybe I’m just getting slow.”

His eyes grew distant as his mind was drawn back to what happened while he was in captivity. His hands fidgeted and trembled, eyes growing moist with deep remorse. Realizing Edana’s presence brought him back to reality with a shake. He forced the memory down below the surface, it would rise again but he couldn’t handle it now, not where his weakness could be seen.

Glancing up at Edana before resuming his study of the floor, he forced an awkward smile, “At least we keep busy, doing something productive beyond simply surviving,” Speaking with more force, “Having a goal and a job to do can be enough to raise even the lowest spirits.”