DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

BSG - The Final Episodes

Emperor

Personally, I loved the finale. Sorry. It had its flaws, but I'm happy to overlook a certain degree of logic problems and plot holes for satisfying character endings.

I just don't understand why anyone has a problem with the whole God thing. Right from the miniseries God and mysticism and prophecy has been a huge part of the series. Everyone did watch the first-season episode "The Hand of God", right? The one where Baltar decided to have faith in God, pointed at a random spot on the map and saved the Colonial fleet? Because honestly, I think everyone who's still watching by now shouldn't complain about God continuing to be directly involved.

Regardless of whether the God-figure is the thirteenth Lord of Kobol, our current understanding of a Christian God, or whatever, he/she/it has been present from the beginning. In the Battlestar Galactica mythology, there is a God. Period. That's no more implausible in the context of the show than FTL jumps or Cylons only being able to have children with a person they love.

Okay, I'm done. :P

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Turns sideways out of the shadows in front of Cadsylicious*

You were saying?  *Tucks Cads in a vacuole for later*

And I agree in principle with all of Luckers objections except the one about Cavill.  That was the only realistic moment in the whole episode, to me ... suicide (in my opinion) is the most honest expression of all true nihilism, and the firefight in the CIC would have convinced him, finally, that the cycle really, truly is unbreakable and so there really, truly is no point to existence.

I feel obligated to note here that that moment of real (if pathetic) honesty came not from the writers, but was apparently a suggestion from Dean Stockwell (an underrated actor in my opinion), according to the spoilers link from Liathiana.

I just don't understand why anyone has a problem with the whole God thing. Right from the miniseries God and mysticism and prophecy has been a huge part of the series. Everyone did watch the first-season episode "The Hand of God", right? The one where Baltar decided to have faith in God, pointed at a random spot on the map and saved the Colonial fleet? Because honestly, I think everyone who's still watching by now shouldn't complain about God continuing to be directly involved.

Regardless of whether the God-figure is the thirteenth Lord of Kobol, our current understanding of a Christian God, or whatever, he/she/it has been present from the beginning. In the Battlestar Galactica mythology, there is a God. Period. That's no more implausible in the context of the show than FTL jumps or Cylons only being able to have children with a person they love.

It's not a problem with the presense of God, or the mysticism, in the show--as you say thats always been there. It's about how ham-fisted it became. It's like after seasons of the God element being subtle and clever they just went 'well, we need to end it, lets Dues Machina the bitches!'.

The Opera House, the God-Music--and oh my god that speach by the Baltar-angel at the end. 'silly me, silly me'. It was terribly handled.

You were saying?  *Tucks Cads in a vacuole for later*

Oh no, don't do that, she'll step back into the world in 300 years--can you imagine it? Cads unleashed on an unsuspecting and unprepared population + lasers?

*shudders*

And I agree in principle with all of Luckers objections except the one about Cavill.  That was the only realistic moment in the whole episode, to me ... suicide (in my opinion) is the most honest expression of all true nihilism, and the firefight in the CIC would have convinced him, finally, that the cycle really, truly is unbreakable and so there really, truly is no point to existence.

I'd argue that Cavill was never truly a nihilist--one thing did matter to him, himself. It's where all his hatred for Helen came from, where the war came from. That sort of self-absortion does not allow for suicide, no matter how meaningless you think everything is intellectually. And Cavill was never concerned that the cycle was unbreakable--that was Helen's pet love, it didn't bother Cavill at all.

But in truth the main part of why i dont like it is that it was so sudden? Cavill hadn't been defeated yet--yes things looked bad, but they had before too. I could perhaps buy Cavill commiting suicide the the face of total and uncompromosing defeat but they just weren't there yet--and Cavill, with mere seconds to comprehend the situation just offs himself then and there. It didn't make sense.

I must say that the graphics budget must have been cut in the last episodes because the snippits I saw of the Cylons were horrible.  Graphics looked like a bad B-movie.. The whole series was dumb.. that is all.

And my boob lasers will be useless on you. I'm doomed!  :'(

To pretend to keep this on topic, I will say that I haven't seen the last episode yet. I've found myself less interested in this last set of episodes than in the previous seasons, and I've enjoyed Emp's posted recaps more than actually watching. I watched the previous seasons in full batches rather than week to week, which is what I did this time, and I suspect that may have something to do with it. There are few shows I enjoy as much on a weekly basis as I do when I can watch a few episodes in a row and can get more immersed in the characters.

Also... I bet the cylons have boob lasers, but they couldn't show them on tv. *nod*

Partying?  Oh no, my friend.  Its a "dry" vacuole ... with only one book.  Faith of the Fallen.  With "No Exit" being continuously recited by Gilbert Gottfried in the background.

And ... boob lasers, Cads? ... -sigh- if I was up for genetic modifications, making you poop Thin Mints would be much more useful.

Wow, did I actually just type that?  :P

Ok, well thats enough spamminess for me, sorry to everyone else who wanted to talk about BSG.  Although contemplating our two friends debating the relative merits of boob lasers and pooping Thin Mints for 300 years may be a better use of time.  ;D

Hey now, Rob. The laser bras were YOUR idea, I just gave them a catchier name.

Silly woman.  Laser bras are equipment.  Actually making lasers shoot out of your breasts ... much more challenging.  And talk about sore nipples!

But Thin Mints are indeed eternal.  And that one would actually be simpler ... I'd just have to create the right kind of microbe to metabolize what you already eat into the constituent ingredients in Thin Mints, then alter the shape and musculature of your ...

... well, that would actually be a shame.

Anywho, enjoy your time in the vacuole.  Let me know when Luckers starts crying.  ;) 

Didn't I say I was done with spamminess?  Doh!

I found Cavil's suicide totally in-character. He didn't have Hera; he'd just lost resurrection forever (without Tory the rest of the Final Five couldn't recreate it) so he was doomed to stay in his hated, old body until he died of old age; his two comrades had just been gunned down; there were half a dozen machine guns pointed at him; and the best he could hope for is incarceration, interrogation and probably airlocking. So he just said, you know what, frak this and went out on his own terms.

Originally he would have been kiled by Tigh in the firefight, but Dean Stockwell rang up the producer and said no way and argued very forcefully for the suicide as he believed it suited his character better, and they went with that.

I found Cavil's suicide totally in-character. He didn't have Hera; he'd just lost resurrection forever (without Tory the rest of the Final Five couldn't recreate it) so he was doomed to stay in his hated, old body until he died of old age; his two comrades had just been gunned down; there were half a dozen machine guns pointed at him; and the best he could hope for is incarceration, interrogation and probably airlocking. So he just said, you know what, frak this and went out on his own terms.

Originally he would have been kiled by Tigh in the firefight, but Dean Stockwell rang up the producer and said no way and argued very forcefully for the suicide as he believed it suited his character better, and they went with that.

OOhhhh.... thats quite awesome to know. I thought it was in character and loved it. But adding the reasoning behind it makes it make more sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived